Author Topic: JD Fantasy Basketball 2008-09  (Read 15980 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Basketball 2008-09
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 11:03 AM »
If you'd like, we still have room. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 03:52 PM »
 See you tomorrow night at the draft kiddie-poohs.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 05:06 PM »
dang... i can't believe i missed the draft.  i am pretty happy with many of my players, but i don't think i would have selected any of the guys on my bench.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 10:24 AM »
Yeah, I missed the draft as well, but I'm fairly happy with my picks.  Of course, I think I have a decent team every year for the most part, and never do all that well :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 11:10 AM »
I really thought you were there Brian, especially when right after my pick your bot grabbed Garnett.  LOL. 

As for my team, I really don't know what to think.  It's smaller than I think I'd want but I'm really happy with some aspects.  I did completely get the first two guys I wanted when I saw where I was drafting, so that was really nice.  Pretty happy with big Al in round three as well.  Then it gets a lot more iffy.  I need good years out of Kenyon Martin and Horford if I'm going to compete.  That's risky.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 11:19 AM »
Yeah, I had planned on being there but got distracted with the kiddo and totally forgot.  I had Garnett ranked first I believe, just hoping I'd get him - but I was sort of surprised when I did.  I'm pretty happy with my big men (Garnett, Howard, Duncan, 'Sheed), but I probably could have done significantly better in other areas.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 11:45 AM »
I've got no idea what to make of my team.  Most of the time the guys I was hoping would slip a pick or two didn't.  So, I ended up drafting a lot of guys I'm not very familiar with based on projections and a look at last year's numbers.  That's what I get for not following basketball all that closely though.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 01:53 PM »
Well as football always proves there is a huge luck component from year to year in any sport.  If your guys stay healthy (cough*McGrady*cough) then you're in good shape.  If not, buh-bye. 

Brian, maybe you and I should talk.  Nine of my thirteen guys are eligible at one or the other guard position.  Not sure what I was thinking but I seem to be potentially loaded at the PG/SG slots.  Mind you those last 3-4 rounds are just drafting for potential high returns more than anything else.  I only drafted Derrick Rose in case he ends up replacing Hinrich and I can needle Dressel about it.   ;)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Brent, I waited too long to draft a PG, so if you've got a decent one you want to part with and there's something reasonable on my roster that you want, let me know.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 02:50 PM »
I'll take a look.   :)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 02:52 PM »
I only drafted Derrick Rose in case he ends up replacing Hinrich and I can needle Dressel about it.   ;)

Yeah I'd be pretty pissed if I had to drop my 5th bench player that would be the 1st or 2nd player I cast off when I see free agents I want anyhow.

:)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 03:08 PM »
That much faith in Hinrich?  LOL. 

I know what ya mean though, those last 3-4 draft picks are immediately disposable.  Still, Rose having that 30 point game (granted in preseason) is awfully interesting.  I feel the same way about Posey, I think subconciously I only drafted him because I didn't have a Celtic (former) on my roster anywhere at the time. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 03:15 PM »
That much faith in Hinrich?  LOL. 

Zero.  No faith whatsoever.

I could replace him with 20 guys off waivers right now and not miss him.  He was completely insignificant to my strategy, and merely serves as a 98 degree mass of protoplasm for my bench, for the 1st 5 games until I see what the Rose-Hinrich playing time situation looks like.

I am excited about my team, and think it's the best one I ever drafted.  I've got the rock solid core of Nash who anchored my previous 2 championship squads, with Nowitzki, Yao, Kidd supplemented with high upside youngin's Durant, Beasley, Thomas and Mayo.  And of the young ones, I likey what I've seen in preseason.

We'll see how this unfolds but I'm likely to make Hinrich available for you by mid-November  :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:16 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 03:25 PM »
You'll probably be fine, but the fountain of youth crap is going to have to wear off eventually for Nash.

Kidd did squat for me last year, but then again he was stuck in NJ for most of the season, and then uncomfortable in a new situation for the last part.  I thought about picking him up again this year, but obviously decided to pass.  I have a bad habit of not drafting players after they screw me up the year before. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Y'know, I had Durant on my roster last year and pretty much never played him.  That's last year of course and he's a year bigger and better, so you may be right there.  But I just don't have much faith in him.  Beasley/Mayo/Thomas are pretty speculative too.  Yeah, performing well for the most part but if we're going based on preseason performances, Rose is a stud too.  But they are late rounders, so no harm, no foul regardless of what happens. 

Nash will probably be as good as he ever is.  Too much speculation on him dropping performance and I just don't think it will happen.  I'd have taken him too, but I'll be ok with Iverson instead.  Kidd I do wonder about slowing down though. 

Nowitzki is a stud with across the board numbers, no question.  I could've taken him or Garnett instead of Brand and been as happy.  Jeez, I'd have been happy with Marion as well. 

Yao, not so much.  He scares me like McGrady scares me (but we're talking about 3rd vs 9th round).  The potential is absolutely awesome, but at what point during the season does he miss 25 games?  He's a better pure center than anyone I have no doubt, but too iffy for me.  I don't see myself ever drafting Yao, at least not until he lasts a whole season (mind you Camby had the same rap last year too). 

If I had to pick a "best draft" team from the start I'd probably go with Scott's.  Davis/Artest/Allen are a bit iffy in that they might underperform, but I wouldn't count on it.  Stoudemire/Lewis/Gay are great, plain and simple.  Dalembert should be up for a much better year and if not, Oden could be ROY (if he still qualifies).  Stojakovic is nice for the bench, Ginobili when he comes back and even Prince as a late pick is really nice. 

As for Hinrich, I think I'll be ok without him, but thank you most kindly for the generous offer.