Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season One Discussion Thread  (Read 81967 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 10:37 AM »
I see the first two episodes are now online to watch over at StarWars.com, for anyone interested.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Newsarama has their weekly Clone Wars feature up, and they specifically talk about the Y-Wing bombers and how they are the same Y-Wings seen in the OT.  They mention (what has been discussed here before) the idea that the Rebellion was sort of using "leftovers" from the Clone Wars, and those Y-Wings (they also talk about X-Wings) were stripped down versions of these original ones, used in the CW.  Anyways, just thought I'd pass it along.  I almost wish Lucas would have put more of this type of stuff in the movies.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 12:19 PM »
Who is the voice for Plo Koon, he sounds like Tree-Beard (you know the Ent from LOTR).

I didn't get to watch the first two episodes when the were broadcast, but I had recorded them.  Overall I have to say they were pretty awesome.  Sure its a kid oriented show, but I like how it explores a period of Galactic history which is very rich, but hasn't been explored to any great extent.  I've read a fair amount of the Star Wars novels, and we've been told a lot that Grevious is some sort of tactical and strategic genius, but we haven't been shown it.  Atleast the episode with the big ion cannon started to explore that idea.  Even if he was thwarted by Anakin (who was after all "the best start pilot in the galaxy").

Something I've never quite understood is how come anytime someone turns on their little holographic communicator the other person is ready to talk?  The only exception being when Thire tells the King that Yoda wants to talk.  (Think back to ROTS as soon as Grevious is ready to talk Sidious is already on the line).

The channel guide for tonight seemed to show three episodes.  There was a repeat of Rising Malevolence, then a new episode, and then another show labelled "Star Wars", but there was no show info.  Anyone know what that third show is?  I've set it up to record anyway....
I am not the Stig

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Who is the voice for Plo Koon, he sounds like Tree-Beard (you know the Ent from LOTR).

I believe that he's voiced by James Arnold Taylor, who also voices Obi-Wan Kenobi, but I'm not 100% positive on that.  I thought that I heard that somewhere though.  I am pretty certain that he isn't voiced by John Rhys-Davies (Gimli/Treebeard/Sallah from Indiana Jones).

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 12:59 PM »
The channel guide for tonight seemed to show three episodes.  There was a repeat of Rising Malevolence, then a new episode, and then another show labelled "Star Wars", but there was no show info.  Anyone know what that third show is?  I've set it up to record anyway....

According to Cartoon Network's schedule, Rising Malevolence is on at 8:00 followed by an new episode "Shadow of Malevolence" at 8:30, then Ben 10 is on.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 01:37 PM »

According to Cartoon Network's schedule, Rising Malevolence is on at 8:00 followed by an new episode "Shadow of Malevolence" at 8:30, then Ben 10 is on.

I think the third show was on at 10:30-11:00

Nevermind, I think its a rebroadcast of the Shadow of Malevolence.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 01:39 PM by Keonobi »
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 02:13 PM »
THey can just quit mentioning X-Wings NOW because X-Wings did NOT exist during the CW.  >:(  I hate EU rewriting if that's what they're going for.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 09:21 PM »
About half way through this episode and I've come to realize that the first 3 episodes have been better than TPM and AOTC combined.  :P

Highlights so far:
Y-Wing bombers (Shadow Squadron)
4-legged Gonk
the nod to the red, white & blue R2 unit from the Target exclusive ARC-170 Battle Pack
The medical transports and base
more sadism from Grievous
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:22 PM by Jayson »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 09:43 PM »
These are better, and it's primarily because the show so far evokes the elementals of the OT - Romanticism and adventure.  The images of the nebula gas whale things were pure Star Wars, as was the Y-Wings taking flight.  I loved the clone pilots in this too.  One thing I never got is why in the OT pilots have gear, yet Jedi get into star fighters (and every other single situation) without ever adding anything much beyond a headset.  You'd think if Lucas were really only out to sell toys, he'd have Obi and Anakin in a new costume every episode.  Has to drive the Hasbro guys nuts.  But the clones though... I guess they make up for it.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2008, 01:40 AM »
Another fantastic episode...

The 4-legged Gonk was a favorite of mine too Jay, and I really hope for a figure of that now.  A cool take on an old favorite, and it shows you can even make GONK droids new and unique in some way.

The Y-Wings rock balls, and if they ever made it to-scale I'd go nuts.  I love the retro turret but it tanked the existance of 2-seater Y-Wings in EU that sit back-to-back with the pilots.  I'm sure something will be figured out to has that out but still I liked it anyway, they were cool.

I liked the Clone Medical Transports too.  Corellian designs and fit with the notion that Corellian design in ships is extensive and has many similarities (Corvettes, Mod. Corvettes, Gunships, etc., etc.). 

In general it was just another great episode and I love this show...  It's given me purpose on Friday nights at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 07:17 AM »
The 4-legged Gonk was a favorite of mine too Jay, and I really hope for a figure of that now.  A cool take on an old favorite, and it shows you can even make GONK droids new and unique in some way.

No doubt. According to SW.com, they are actually called "Plunk" Droids and that is the sound they make as well. Tee hee.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:21 AM by Jayson »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 03:09 PM »
I really enjoyed Friday's episode as well, and like Jesse, I'm really liking this series so far.  Its appointment viewing/DVRing for me right now.  Like others, I really liked the Y-Wings, and hope we see those in toy form sometime soon.  Also caught a lot more OT line references this episode, which is kind of cool.  I've heard some comments on how they are overdoing them, but I guess they haven't bothered me.

Also, here's the Episode Guide for this episode, at the Official Site.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:13 PM by Brian »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2008, 05:22 PM »
I don't think they're overdoing much of anything...  Is Ahsoka's nicknaming everyone sorta dumb?  Eh, maybe...  I don't care though, she's a good character and the ying to Anakin's Yang...  err something like that.

I like seeing this much battle, death, destruction...  The separatists are real jerkoffs in this series, the Jedi clearly aren't comfortable with the "using" of living beings like the Clones, and just a myriad of other cool crap.  It's a fun show to watch, and I'm geeked for Fridays now.

If I had one gripe, it's that episodes are too short.  I'd love hour long episodes, and given that it's animated I don't see why they didn't go that route.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2008, 10:19 PM »
I still haven't seen any of the episodes from this series. Anyone know if CN will be replaying all of them any time soon?

I also haven't picked up Force Unleashed yet. Geez I am behind with all the new Star Wars releases.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2008, 10:32 PM »
You can watch the first 2 episode at SW.com, but if you'd want to catch them on tv, friday's new episode re-airs on the following Sunday at the same time 8:30 pm.