Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season One Discussion Thread  (Read 81958 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 4, 2008, 02:00 PM »
I liked how easily he took care of Asaaj

Excellent point I forgot... 

The way Yoda basically bitch slaps Assajj is great.  She's very afraid of him compared to Skywalker, Kenobi, etc.  I liked how they didn't play around with this or even hint that she's confident enough to take on Yoda.  They made it clear cut that there's a big gap between Yoda and Assajj, and she knew it.  Only Dooku feels powerful enough to take him on and Assajj is truly just a "child" by comparison.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 4, 2008, 04:35 PM »
I enjoyed both of the episodes - obviously leaning towards Ambush as most of you are.  Really loved the ESB Yoda laughs here and there.  I'm also finding the clones to be very interesting character wise as this avenue obviously wasn't explored in the flicks. 

Not going into detail, but much better than the "movie" IMO especially since I didn't have to fork over $7.50 to watch these.  I've said it about the "movie" and I think they're overplaying this holo thing a bit too much.  I'm sure Hasbro will make every character in blue if they continue the animated line.

I had to pause the Video Cassette Recorder "VCR" when the Twilight was docked in the bay for a size comparison with the Gunships.  Yup...This sucker is huge.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #17 on: October 4, 2008, 06:48 PM »
An interesting bit on the Twilight I read today on SW.com. It says that the Twilight was originally used to smuggle spice. I wonder if this "spice frieghter" was the same one that Luke heard about from his uncle.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2008, 06:12 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #18 on: October 4, 2008, 11:48 PM »
oh wow that is a cool little connection. now all they need to do is take the twilight back to tat so owen can see him in it.

I loved both episodes as well. ambush was sooooo good. when yoda took away ventress lightsabers i got the feeling he broke them before sending them back to her.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: October 6, 2008, 01:40 AM »
Jayson, that's probably one of the most astute observations I've read so far...  Thanks!  That really actually made me grin when I read it, and I'd have never put that together...  Pretty cool thinking on that one though...  Makes total sense, if Owen had heard of Anakin's exploits or perhaps they "got together" when he crashed the Twilight on Tatooine even?

While watching the Steeler game tonight, I flicked around watching CW toon stuff too as they reaired tonight.

I think they're fantastic.  Ir eally didn't feel let down by the movie at all and these are great extensions.  I thought the Yoda episode was a good standalone of course, but the Ambush episode wasn't as good to you guys?  Come on!  The Clones getting sucked into space, the sadistic droids, the cool "broadside" Ion Cannon, Grievous getting "antsy" when Dooku tells him he's going to discuss it with his master, Plo Koon and the Clones escaping the blast, Anakin & Co. coming to save them in his new pimp ride?

That's pretty neat stuff to me and sets up another episode I think to continue the "main heroes" storyline.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2008, 01:43 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #20 on: October 6, 2008, 02:01 AM »
I liked both episodes, the first probably being my favorite. I find the producers are making something both audiences can enjoy, and I like that. I was talking about this with Spuffy and Darth Rock Friday night, and the only thing we didn't like was all the phone calls made in the second episode. And we still have yet to see what Mace Windu looks like, since he's only been a hologram in the movie and series so far.

Can't wait for more.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars 3D
« Reply #21 on: October 6, 2008, 04:35 AM »
Thanks for the link Dale!  I just came in here to see if there were any links since I worked on Friday night.  I'm downloading it right now...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 6, 2008, 12:11 PM »
I noticed that the Official Site has launched the Clone Wars Episode Guide, which has a lot of details, summaries, trivia and more about the individual episodes:

Ambush

Rising Malevolence

Also, for anyone who misses the episodes when the air/re-air, it sounds like Star Wars.com and CartoonNetwork.com will have free streaming episodes a week after they air (with only two available for free at any one time).
« Last Edit: October 6, 2008, 12:17 PM by Brian »

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 6, 2008, 01:09 PM »
After seeing this I really wish they'd have gone a more realistic styling with the animation, only cause I want the toys to be in the same realistic styling as we've already had so far, as far as the actual toon it's fine.  I can't see myself buying too many CW fig just for the cool gear they're bound to have with upcoming figures.  GATTLING GUN, ROCHET LAUNCHER, DOUBLE HOLSTERS-KAMA, GERNADE BANDOLIER, that's just things off the top off my head that I want for the realistic style troops that we don't have.

As far as the Episodes they were both great.  Ambush was awesome for everything that everyone has already mentioned.  I like how Yoda knows the troops names, really that'd be kinda hard when they basically look the same, except hair style, age, scars, and tats.  I also liked the tat that one of the clones had that was on the back/side of his neck and kinda gave the hint that it went on down beneath the "collar" of the body suit.  The humor of the BD's I love, really it has to be there somewhere it's not going to be a kid friendly cartoon if it's all battles and no funny.

Malovelance was great, slow on the action but you're not going to expect that with every episode 'cause even though we all love action if they don't have the slow parts it will just be over the top.  As far as the BD's in space wouldn't just sending a lone fighter out there be more efficient?  just blast a hole in the viewport anf be done with it, why need a crusher/pincer ship and so many BD's when one lone ship/driod could do it?  I know it made very better action I suppose but in a realistic sense wouldn't that be better.  That and if Plo could use the Force to manuver the "dead" pod around to see into the viewport why couldn't he hurdle a piece of debris at the Hunters ship and destroy them before they even got close?

All in all I really enjoyed them both and the fact that it's just not about Anakin, Ahsoka, & Obi.  It seemed that while they were in Malevolance it seemed that most of the episode was concentrated on Plo and his troops.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 6, 2008, 02:58 PM »
I also thought that the Ashoka moment where she senses Plo Koon's distress was an almost exact shot of Leia sensing Luke on Bespin.

By far, though, my favorite OT nod was this shot:

Dead on the same shot as the Death Star firing in both Eps IV and VI.  Right down to the droids doing the same "hide your eyes" gesture.

That one detail has always made me laugh...the Imperial training program of "you will have to be in a small space with a beam of energy powerful enough to destroy a planet..ummmm....be sure and hide your eyes as it passes."  It's like the old duck and cover filmstrips for nuclear attack.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 6, 2008, 03:11 PM »
I had to pause the Video Cassette Recorder "VCR" when the Twilight was docked in the bay for a size comparison with the Gunships.  Yup...This sucker is huge.

I caught that when seeing a replay as well, that is sure a big ship - and, at least so far, seems to be getting a lot of attention so its possible it will see a toy sometime soon as well.  I wonder what scale it will be in at that point, but its yet another one of the great toy ideas from this series already.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 7, 2008, 12:36 PM »
I noticed that the Official Site has a new web comic up leading into this Friday's new episode (its at the end, behind the previous two comics, from what I could see).  Its really nice to see that overall in this thread that it seems like almost everyone enjoyed the episodes, and there isn't a lot of negativity coming about so far.  I was listening to a podcast this morning (Star Wars Action News) and their discussion of the episode, and I couldn't believe all the problems some of them discussed on there.  Granted, its the nature of fandom (and Star Wars fandom in particular) to complain - and its everyone's right - but sometimes I'm astonished how often some people have just forgotten how to have fun and enjoy something.

I'm not saying this show (or Star Wars, or anything else) is perfect, but it seems like most of us understand that this is primarily geared to hook in new fans, and also appeal to fans like us - and it isn't meant to be strictly an "adults only" show.  Anyways, just a general comment, but this podcast had complaints about too many OT nods, the "logic" of Star Wars and the attacks of the Battle Droids, of course the battle droid humor, among other things.  Sure, there is good and bad, but I'm happy to see that most of our community here seems to be having fun with the show so far.  Hopefully the quality will continue.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2008, 12:37 PM by Brian »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 7, 2008, 03:07 PM »
I was just reading this article discussing the Clone Wars, and it mentions that Seth Green (Robot Chicken) is voicing Kit Fisto, and also says (unless they are confused with the movie) that Sam Jackson is voicing Mace Windu in the series.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: October 7, 2008, 11:48 PM »
Jackson is indeed voicing Windu.  I'd not heard the Seth Greene thing but that's cool.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 8, 2008, 03:31 PM »
The official site has a preview (with video) up for this week's episode, Shadow of Malevolence.  I really like those Y-Wing bombers, hopefully we'll see one of those next year in the Hasbro line.  I thought I was getting out of the prequel era vehicles, but some of these designs will make it difficult.