Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season One Discussion Thread  (Read 82539 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2008, 11:01 PM »
Friday also shows both last week's and the new one...  They usually seem to air the new one a couple times a week though.  I sadly watch it if it's on and I'm not watching something else...  and sometimes even when I am watching something else.  I'm addicted.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 09:45 AM »
This week's comic update is now up (its at the end of the current comic).  This previews this week's episode.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 09:48 AM »
This week's comic update is now up (its at the end of the current comic).  This previews this week's episode.

How come they don't include these comics at the beginning of the episodes?  I guess they want us to watch the show, and to go to the website to read this, etc.  That way we touch more of their media, meaning bigger advertising revenue, etc.  I just think this comics are neat and really complement the show well.
I am not the Stig

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 05:49 AM »
Just caught the episode online, great stuff. The plunk droid is cool but those Y-Wings... fricken' sweet.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Going back a bit to the debut episode, but I've heard/read some comments online (and we've discussed here) how Yoda in this episode was more along the lines of the ESB Yoda.  A point relating to this that I've heard is how the Yoda in the prequels was missing both the playfulness and the confidence that the Yoda we met in Empire really exuded.  The way he knew he could lift the X-Wing from the swamp is similar to how he so effortlessly dispatches Asaaj Ventress in a confident matter.  Plus, like we've mentioned here, there's the humor aspect.  The little laugh that we first heard in ESB returned in that episode, and I don't know that we hardly heard that at all in the prequels - maybe aside from the youngling training scene.  Anyways, just an interesting concept that I've heard brought up again.  I would have liked seeing a little more of the characterization of Yoda that we saw in the OT and this Clone Wars episode applied in the prequel movies.  He was so serious and even unsure of his decisions a lot of the time in the prequels, which isn't the same Yoda we know.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2008, 06:45 PM »
I was very, very pleased with Yoda as well. :)

Oh and thanks for posting Brian, I had completely forgotten that the show was on tonight. :o

David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Tonight's episode was rather anti-climactic to the "Malevolence" story arc. There were a few highlights but this seemed a lot like AOTC's Droid Foundry sequence to me.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2008, 10:06 PM »
I liked it. Threepio and Artoo's banter was very enjoyable, and the lightsaber duel was cool. Anyone else catch the "Hello there" line from ROTS? :D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Anyone else catch the "Hello there" line from ROTS? :D

No, but now that you mention it, it makes Obi-Wan's line in ROTS very humorous.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2008, 12:05 AM »
My 9 year old son and I strapped into the CW tonight.  We both were cracking up at the Obi-Wan/ Anakin banter.  I also really enjoyed the battle droids tonight.  Sometimes I think there humor is a bit overdone but tonight's episode felt really cool.

So how long before Greivous get's his cape back?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2008, 12:15 AM »
I enjoyed it a lot actually... 

Watching a behind-the-scenes thing, I'm really geeked at how they mimiced (till tonight) the hunting and destruction of the German battleship Bismark.  I'd not really noticed the parallels till I watched the documentary, and then it all made sense...

For those not familiar to the story, the Bismark was a massive ship built by the Germans in WW2, and launched against England/Allied vessels.  It was going to be a real pain in the ass to shipping, not to mention it outmatched every vessel the British had really.

It destroyed the British ship the Hood, which was the first to find it.  However it was immobilized by one of the first torpedo plane attacks of the war by the British, which damaged its rudder.  It was making a run away from a large British fleet who were trying to catch up to it, and it was trying to make port in occupied France for safety.  The torpedo planes locked the ships rudder though, so it couldn't maneuver, and it was sank with very few of the crew surviving then once it was tracked down.

The ending of the Malevolence isn't exactly similar, but the earlier parts certainly had a lot of similarities.  I thought the fleet was going to catch it and destroy it actually, tying it pretty well to the Bismark story.  It's kind of neat that a WW2 battle/scenario was mimiced just like was done for the Death Star assault though, don't you think?

Anyhoo I really liked tonights episode...  Lots of Jedi action, lots of Grievous...  I though the droids were funny, and I laughed out loud when Kenobi tried saving 3PO.   Whoops!  All going back to the galactic "who gives a ****" attitude towards droids it seems.

I thought the droids were funny too, and I dug the fire-control droids that came into the hangar to put out the fire from Padme's ship.

In general, a fun episode...  Had some space battling, some good interior action on the Malevolence, and I like how Grievous just shut his communications off with Dooku.  ;D  A good ending I thought, but abrupt for certain.  Next week's preview had me drooling...  Lotsa good Clone Warrin' next week.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2008, 06:16 PM »
The chase and interior of the Malevolence reminded me of a few things.  The plot of the Jedi & company making their way through the ship reminded me of the rebels in the Death Star in ANH.  But there were also hints of the droid factory chase in AOTC, but also Grievous chasing Shaak Ti and Palpatine through Coruscant in the original Clone Wars series.

But that big open space in the middle of the ship and the rail transport?  That kind of reminded me of the Cygnus in The Black Hole.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2008, 10:29 PM »
Another cool episode. I'm starting to think this Malevolence storyline would of been better recieved as the movie storyline for theaters.

Those fire droids were pretty cool looking. This is one varient of the battle droid i would like to see in figure form.

Ha Grevious cutting off Dooku. makes you wonder where he hypered off to.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2008, 12:44 PM »
The Episode Guide for last Friday's episode "Destroy Malevolence" is now up at the Official Site.

Like others, I enjoyed this episode as well.  I just continue to look forward to this series each week, and like Jesse mentioned, next week's clonetastic episode looks pretty cool as well.  I'm not trying to bag on the prequels once again or anything, as I do enjoy those movies (or at least parts of them), but I really like the "feel" of this animated series so far - and wish we could have seen more of this in the prequels (in some ways, at least).  Anyways, I think the series has been great so far, and I look forward to it each week.  Like I saw many mention about the movie as well, but I would think young kids would be all over this as well.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2008, 11:52 AM »
The Official Site has a preview of this week's episode, "Rookies" up now - it looks like a good one to me.