Author Topic: CW "AT-TE Assault Squad" Battle Pack  (Read 11272 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: CW "AT-TE Assault Squad" Battle Pack
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 04:30 PM »
I think Anton is saying realistic guys...

And I agree.  I imagine it has something to do with kid-appeal and stuff, but adults seem to be the army building whores the most, so I dunno.  I mean, I'd shell out $20 for 3 DST's and a grey Commander Death Squad Trooper...  If they had a new accessory or two in there, holy **** then!

Same with the new Hoth Rebel...  Barring him being a midget or something, I'd buy 4 more of him with maybe just decoration variations, and maybe some with Hoth Han's hat (no scarf) or something.  If they had new headsculpts, again... holy ****.

Unfortunately Hasbro's found ways to taint most realistic sets though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I think the problem with realistic army builder BPs is the lack of kid appeal. The example you made, DS Troopers, would probably rot on shelves. (No offense) I think if done right army builder sets could be a hit. However, I do believe Hasbro has missed the boat with doing them as mass-retail products. Hasbro seems to be focusing more of their efforts on the more kid-friendly Clone Wars line, so realistic troop-builder sets might not get kid interest. ("Clone Troopers! Cool! But these ones aren't from the cartoon.")

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 06:30 PM »
I agree to an extent...  I think Hasbro's obviously milking the "kid factor", plus htis goes with the little brat's new X-Mas gift, the amazing AT-TE!  Smart marketing and all that jazz...  The only thing is, adults have proven they'll gobble up army builders.  Hasbro puts them on the same level as main characters according to the various things they've said in the past.

You'd think they'd push that format more than with the adult market...  They've done it in the past and it seemed to work (sold lots of that Tantive IV set, even with Vader stinking it up), so I'd like them to go for it again, but really it seems unlikely.  They seem intent on either making a set that has a mix of characters, or trying these army building sets for teh kiddies.

I saw the 212th and other Target sets (with Yoda/Obi-Wan) on clearance just the other day...  While they've got a main in there, they're still really good sets.  I wish Hasbro would consider these for the Legacy fans.  :-\

If they offered a set with Commander Cody updated a little bit, and a few of his troopers...  I'd buy it.  The DST one is more aimed at us obviously, but I think it would do surprisingly well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 08:56 PM »
I'll agree that the previous "troop builder' sets are crappy because they have those extra figures. Even the specific named commanders in a set irritate me because I don't need more than one. I think a great fix would be for Hasbro to do BPs similar to the Unleashed BP minis. Do a wave or half a wave with one them, but two sets. One or two sets with heroes/villains/named characters, and the other set(s) made up troop builders.

Hasbro has been shown that army builder BPs are a good thing, but have yet to take a chance with realistic guys in the main assortment. We've had Clone Attack, Jedi Temple Attack, Hoth Attack, Hunt for Grievous, Felucia, and maybe a couple of others. These have all sold well. I believe HFG and Clone attack were some of the best sellers due to the lack of Jedi. (Hell, they were even re-released)

Hopefully the big H will slot some realistic sets in this year or next. There are a number that they could do:
-Storm Troopers (4 plus various weapons/gear)
-Ep. II Clone Troopers (4 plus variouus weapons/gear)
-Kashyyyk Patrol (2 Kashyyyk Scouts on two BARC Speeders)
-Endor Scouts (2 Scout Troopers with Speeder Bikes)
-Snow Troopers (4 Snow Troopers with E-Web)
-Clone Commandos (4 Clone Commandos with various weapons/gear)

Sets for Ep. 3 Clones and Battle Droids could vary and be made up of many different figures. I think Rebels would need to be in sets with some bad guys. The generic human soldiers don't seem to sell nearly as well as the armored troopers and even the Battle Droids. BPs like this would give Hasbro the chance to put more unique yet still cool figures into the Legends lineup. (Dark Trooper, Felucia Storm Trooper, Jet Trooper, Death Squad Commander)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 09:24 AM »
I've seen this at retail a few times now.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 10:29 AM »
I don't get why this is coming out while there's no AT-TE's on the shelves.  Would have made more sense to release it with the Falcon pack.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Post AT-TE Christmas hauls need their grunts.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 01:34 PM »
I don't get why this is coming out while there's no AT-TE's on the shelves.  Would have made more sense to release it with the Falcon pack.

There are a few AT-TEs at my local TRU.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 02:59 PM »
I just saw this pack this morning, it was ok. Cool if you collect the animated stuff, nice way to army build at a more affordable price.

FYI - I also noticed there is a running change on the I^-86 Droid's guns, they are molded blue now.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 6, 2009, 05:53 PM »
I just saw this pack this morning, it was ok. Cool if you collect the animated stuff, nice way to army build at a more affordable price.

FYI - I also noticed there is a running change on the I^-86 Droid's guns, they are molded blue now.

I'm trying to make a bit of both: Legacies and Clone Wars, dont know if I can keep it up.

need few 501st for Rex & few 212th Codyies.

Saw these bad boys today as well, I picked up 2....
Sadly I passed two AT-TE at clearance $64 each, now its no where to find them at that price, only Kmart has some but at normal price.

But I can wait till get on clearance or wait for the Turbo Tank to come out to fit these AT's guys.

« Last Edit: February 7, 2009, 08:18 AM by Theta 288 »

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #25 on: February 9, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Haven't so much as sniffed this set yet, although I've seen more Falcon bps, which I know comes packed with this.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2009, 03:13 PM by Captain Piet »
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 01:33 PM »
No sign of this set around my parts either seeing as every store has approximately 10 BOmaar Monastery sets in stock.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 01:57 PM »
No sign of this set around my parts either seeing as every store has approximately 10 BOmaar Monastery sets in stock.

I picked this set up last weekend at my local Target. Great for army building and accessorizing the AT-TE.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 01:58 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 02:02 PM »
Yeah, I know a five year old who is going to want this set. . .

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 11:30 AM »
When I first saw pics of this I was sure I would pass on it. However, I'm not gonna argue it's necessarily worth $22+, but the Gunner Clone is a really cool fig. The chest plate and the shoulder plates really make him stand out. I'm glad I caved (I always do though).
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within