Author Topic: NHL 2008 - 2009  (Read 33973 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2008 - 2009
« Reply #135 on: July 2, 2009, 02:35 PM »
The only consolation I'd offer is that Havlat only missed a few games this past year.  I think that was in large part due to having Kane/Toews take the focus off him in Chicago and the focus will be right back on with the Wild. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #136 on: July 3, 2009, 12:07 AM »
I liked Gill well enough for his size but he was a liability at times too.  he didn't defend well against speed often times, and would get tore up by guys who were more speed/finesse.  I liked him, but I didn't think he was everything he was cracked up to be...  I thought Scuderi did more of the work out of the duo, and unfortunately we lost him today to Los Angeles who seem to be actually wanting to spend something.

That one stings.  Losing Fedotenko, which is very likely, will also sting a bit.

Hossa's big move was the biggie so far.  I'm surprised he jumped so quickly to dump Detroit, and not fish himself around free agency for a while.

Pronger to Philly was a biggie too...  Especially for the East teams.  It's a big sign of the times here with all the depth on offense in the East right now.

Pens are now shopping around for defensive defenseman, and maybe a crash-the-net forward still...  Guerrin's nice to have, as is Kunitz, but I still think they lack that bruiser that plants himself in front of the net, unless they think Rupp will do it.  ???
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 3, 2009, 12:48 AM »

Hossa's big move was the biggie so far.  I'm surprised he jumped so quickly to dump Detroit, and not fish himself around free agency for a while.

Agreed on the big move, but a 12 year contract?  I don't think he cared to fish around; I'd be willing to be he just looked at that and went huh, set for life and be done with it.  Chicago played the salary cap game, so that's where the 12 years come in and I can't see him not having something guaranteed beyond 5-6 years because he might not be playing then.  So he's looking at 60-65 million dollars.  I guess that's enough for some guys.  Agreed he could have got more though.

The scary part for Chicago is that Kane/Toews/Keith are all restricted free agents after next year.  Good move signing Hossa?  Dunno, much as I love him as a player and have since he was in Ottawa, I'm not sure I'd opt for him over Kane and Toews down the road.  Those latter two guys are just kids and look at what they did?  They may end up as better players in only a year or two and they'll be sitting on Hossa.  I think Hossa can play productively for another 4-6 years; Kane and Toews are probably looking at 10. 

Next year, after the season is over, will tell the tale on Chicago and if they can keep all of Toews, Kane and Hossa and not lose any other guys (if they could move Campbell and his contract they'd probably die laughing, but that won't happen this year, unless they approach Toronto ;)).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: July 3, 2009, 02:41 AM »
Oh, I agree on the money thing, but I was talking sort of about two goals...  Financial security being one, but he also left Pittsburgh (where he claimed he enjoyed his time, and the team) for Detroit, for less money, all to win a championship.  Plus he had a good season regardless of what he didn't do in the finals.

I didn't read if Detroit made any offers to him or not (anyone?), but I figured he maybe would've looked at other team's offers based on their readiness to win the cup in the next 2 to 3 years.  Not that Chicago couldn't, they got to the finals...  I just don't know where they would rank in anyone's mind to make it to the cup in the next 2 or 3 years or so.

I think he's got a good set up for sure...  I thought maybe Washington was going to make a play for him, or Los Angeles.

He's also moving to a good city too, not just a good young team, so I suppose that's a factor as well...  If you're planning to end there ultimately, and maybe stay.  I loved it when I've been there.

I just sort of thought he'd pick another team.  I really thought Washington was going to make a major play for him.  Or the Rangers since they make a play for everyone it seems.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: July 4, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Fedotenko, who played really well in the playoffs, took a paycut to stay...  A pretty hefty one according to reports.  I love stuff like that.  He was a really important player so while losing Scuderri hurts, it's nice they could retain some key guys.