Author Topic: NHL 2008 - 2009  (Read 33964 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2008 - 2009
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 10:03 AM »
I really hope Sakic comes back for at least one more year. He is my all-time favorite athlete in any sport and I think he has a few more years left in him.

I thought of you Ryan when I read this story today.   :D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 10:58 AM »
:'(

Yeah it has been kind of a rough year for Sakic (and the Avs). I'm glad he will make a full recovery.. but it really sucks he is going to be out another three months. I really hope he plays a 21st year. He can't end his career like this (barring some miraculous Cup run). :(
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 09:15 PM »
I'm not one to usually feel bad for opponents, but I'm feeling bad for the Islanders right now...  It's almost embarassing and there's a period left to go.  The Penguins are pissed off tonight and it's apparant.  I just hope this game doesn't get ugly violent because I really don't want us to lose anyone to injury just because the other team decides they've got nothing to lose.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:28 AM »
So Sundin has finally signed... with Vancouver.  It should be interesting to see how long it takes him to get back into game shape.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Sean Avery leaves and the Stars start playing better... too late to save this season, but still good news.  We've got some good young talent.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 12:59 PM »
I wonder who the Pens need to send away to save theirs? :)

Right now I think it's less who we send away, and more who we sign on...  Namely any forward with strength and grit, because once we lost Ruutu, Robers, Laraque, and to a lesser degree Armstrong, I knew the Penguins were going to have a ******** time the following season.  We lost everything that energized our offense with power, pain, and hard work.  Proof you can have superstars out the ying yang and they don't carry your team for a full season.

Not to mention our PP sucks PP right now because we lost both our anchors on the blue line and only NOW is Whitney even close to coming back with Gonchar still a long ways off.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 6, 2009, 03:05 AM »
I interrupt your regular NHL schedule...

So like how aboot that team Canada eh!  ;D   8)   :P   :-*

Canada wins fifth straight gold at world juniors

I now return you to your regular NHL schedule.  :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 04:08 AM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Wow, that's odd...  They haven't played them much I'm guessing either though.  Washington eats turds generally, even with Semen (heh) and Ovechkin on their team.  Congrats, because, well, Washington sucks. :)

The Penguins won against Philly last night.  Yay for finally getting a win against a decent team!  Rumor in Pittsburgh is Stall's days are numbered as a Pen, and the contract signing is just so he can be shopped more easily.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 04:52 PM »
We'll take him. :)

That is somewhat of an odd stat there Dale. The Avs just had a similiar one actually. In the first seven years Columbus was a team the Avs lost all of three games to them, this season they have already lost the first three of four. ::)

It really has been an odd season here so far, very much like it is on a rollercoaster.  We have had a lot of good games, against good teams too. And there have been a lot of little stretches where it looks like we might have figured everything out. Then we'll have a few games where everything just goes to hell. ::) Injuries can't be blamed for all of it, but they certainly haven't helped. Sakic, Stastny, Foote, and Lapperierre have all been out for extended lengths of time. It is great to se Wolski step up and fill in at center. He should have been playing the position the entire time he has been in Denver...

I made it to my first game of the season last week, against Chicago. It was agreat 2-1 game and was a whole lot of fun to be at. We had some great lower deck seats and I finally got a jersey (Foote). All of the action seemed like it was right below us. I'm going to the Calgary game this Sunday. Hopefully the Avs can pull it off. I might get to see Toronto and Montreal in the next month too. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 01:09 AM »
Unless you've got a proven winger right now, and a couple younger guys who are showing some grit and tenacity at forward, I don't think they'd bite.  The Penguins are hurting though.  They got beat by Washington tonight simply by physically being outplayed all game, and tons of injuries to boot...  It doesn't help that the refs were calling the most stupid game I've witnessed all year either, and that they were just sorta looking for trouble and had itchy whistle fingers too.

Lame game, lame loss, and lame all around.  The Penguins lost way too much work ethic when they gave up Malone, Roberts, Ruutu, Laraque (not a hard worker, but not someone to f with), Armstrong...  I'd give up Satan, Foote, Latang, and a draft pick for Malone or Armstrong (+ a 3rd round pick) back. :(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 10:02 PM »
All I want to say is, in the midst of this Steelers greatness, the Penguins suck and they so desperately need to lose this dead weight they picked up in the off season... Satan would be a good start.  Worthless, worthless players need to go...

I'm just pissed.  They really need to cut loose some people though at this point.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 10:40 PM »
I made it to my second game Avs of the season this Sunday, they played Calgary. We had upper deck seats in the corner (which are still pretty good seats). It was such a blast. The Avs won 6-2 (it was 5-2 but they added the sixth goal with 0.5 seconds left on the clock). I'm glad the Avs finally won one against Calgary this season, we were 0-4 against them at this point. And we had just dropped three games last week we could have/should have/needed to win, so it was important to get a win against a good division club.

Even more special though we got to see both Ryan Smyth and Milan Hejduk score their 300th career goals. It was only the second time in NHL history that two teammates have both scored their 300th in the same game. Even better they were both on the net right below us. Smyth's was a really nice looking shorthanded goal and Hedjuk added his on the powerplay a few minutes later. It is pretty special to have seen history like that. I'm going to remeber that game for a long time. :)
"This is the way."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 03:17 AM »
The Buffalo Sabres sure kicked the Oilers asses, 10-2.  ::)

Why even show up for the game.  :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:41 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 12:38 PM »
Wow...  Double digits.  Yikes.