Author Topic: NHL 2008 - 2009  (Read 33977 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2008 - 2009
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2009, 11:48 PM »
Great finish.  Congrats to Jesse and the Pens.  Might get another title in about 5 minutes too.  

I swear I saw Satan holding the Cup  :o
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:49 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2009, 03:50 AM »
Thanks!  :D

If you want to read my feelings, I posted them in the Pittsburgh sports thread in our Mission Log area...  It's a lot so I won't copy it all here, just suffice it to say I wasn't old enough to drink/grow a beard when they last won one, so this means a whole different thing to me...  I dunno.  It sounds dumb but it's how I feel.

I'm really curious when the last time was that two major league teams won championships in the same year for the same city.  I think that's a friggin' cool stat but it may be sooner than I'm thinking.

I knew the Penguins could lock it down if they played smart.  The Wings were putting on major pressure at the end though, but they really were stonewalled for a lot of the game too once the Penguins went into shut-down mode.  The best part maybe was watching Hossa walk down the aisle to their locker room....  but I also felt bad for him too (only when the game was well over though).

I'm just pretty ecstatic, and I've been tied up with this all evening pretty much, haha.  I'm bustin' out the jersey tomorrow regardless of how warm it is.  Got a grad party to attend, and know a couple kids I helped coach in hockey are gonna be there and I'm looking forward to the conversation with them.

Just a good day...  And as Badger Bob Johnson would have said, "It's a great day for hockey!" in Pittsburgh.  Hell I've already got the final seconds of the game called by Mike Lange as my ringtone on my phone, hah!  Now I can change my shorts and hit the hay here.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2009, 04:07 AM »
I'm really curious when the last time was that two major league teams won championships in the same year for the same city.  I think that's a friggin' cool stat but it may be sooner than I'm thinking.

Boston had three Championships in 2003-2005 with the Patriots winning in the 2003-2004 season, repeating in 2004-2005 and the Red Sox won in 2004.

Then they did it again in 2007-2008. The Red Sox won in 2007 and the Celtics won in 2007-2008.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2009, 04:09 AM »
Ah ok.  I was thinking it was more recent than some were guessing here.  NBA gets no love here, rightly so since we have no team (nor do I think one would do well), but I forgot totally on the Pats/Sox.  Then again we barely have a baseball team too, so forgetting who the hell wins that isn't too hard here either.

Go Pirates though! :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2009, 06:32 AM »
Congrats on the big win Jesse, I also missed the game. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2009, 02:04 PM »

Boston had three Championships in 2003-2005 with the Patriots winning in the 2003-2004 season, repeating in 2004-2005 and the Red Sox won in 2004.

Then they did it again in 2007-2008. The Red Sox won in 2007 and the Celtics won in 2007-2008.

I know it's only college, but the Gators were recently reigning Basketball and Football champs, and I think that was the first time that had ever been done.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2009, 02:26 PM »

Go Pirates though! :P

If by Go Pirates you mean trade away all your good players once they show promise then you are in for a fun season!!!!  ;)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2009, 05:26 PM »
I know it's only college, but the Gators were recently reigning Basketball and Football champs, and I think that was the first time that had ever been done.

I don't think the word "only" applies to college basketball and football.  That might be even more uncommon and difficult.

Good day hockey-wise yesterday as the Hershey Bears won the Calder Cup.  Unfortunately for me they beat the Manitoba Moose in the final  :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2009, 03:21 PM »
I didn't want Hershey to win because they dropped the baby Pens earlier when (ironically) we were playing Washington.  Plus after Hedberg playing here I dig the Moose and was hoping they'd win.

If by Go Pirates you mean trade away all your good players once they show promise then you are in for a fun season!!!! 

I don't honestly follow baseball at all.  I liked playing it, but to me watching it is like watching golf, or paint dry...  Just not really that entertaining.  In town here it's more fun to go to the park because it's so pretty and along the river, plus maybe you luck into fireworks on the three rivers (they love their fireworks nights to get people to go).  The game's sort of secondary, though they did get revenge on the Tigers, perhaps inspired by the Penguins. ;)

The management is attrocious though, or so it seems to me anyway...  We've become like a farm team for everyone else to develope talent through I guess.

Eh, I like football and hockey, and those kick much ass here so I'm pretty happy.

If you guys ever get into town though, PNC park is supposedly one of the best I guess, so check it out.  I've been to like 5 games.  My gf's work has a super box and I was there last year for a game in the box, and man was it great.  They wheel around this huge ass dessert tray late in the game and you can get this giant brick of chocolate cake...  Or anything else really, but I got the cake.  My god it was the best cake I ever had. 

I like walking around and looking at the different views of the city and things though, eat some food, drink some beer...  HOpe for tickets to a Pens or Steelers game next season. :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:26 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2009, 02:16 PM »
Wild = trying to be the new Penguins?  First, we picked the Pen's assistant GM to be our new GM and then we picked a former Baby Pens head coach to be our new head coach...  hmmm.

The local paper guys were writing about what a joke it is that so many Western conference teams try to mimic Detroit's style of play (and fail miserably).  I guess mimicking the Pens is the new thing to do.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2009, 03:31 PM »
Trying to mimic Detroit would be hard without that insanely deep roster, and guys willing to take the paycuts to be on said roster.  That's all their success to me...  They've just got a solid line-up 4 lines deep.  :-\

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2009, 05:52 PM »
Maybe it's just poetic justice that Detroit is whining the way Crosby loves to, but I'm so sick of hearing how Crosby was disrespectful for celebrating too long and missing shaking the other teams captain. Shut up!!!!! He won his first cup. Let him celebrate. It wasn't on purpose (like Lebron).
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2009, 12:30 AM »
No surprise, but I agree with you Nick...  That's such a non-story, every sports-talk I've listened to since the Cup says it's a non-story, and to me they are the ones who bolted too fast...  Last year the Penguins had to linger on the ice quite a while before the handshake started...

To be fair, I think because it went seven games it "stung" a little more maybe, and they wanted to get off the ice...  I could tell some of them were antsy, and I know the feeling of wanting to just not be there like that, so I don't blame Lidstrom and them for wanting to leave...  I think they were entitled to, but don't bitch about the "rush" to get off the ice if you missed Crosby's handshake.  It's been pretty widely reported that he had every friggin' news guy up his ass tugging at him for a comment, he was celebrating a little with the guys from Wilkes-Barre called up, and the reserves...  He's friggin' Captain and all...  I think everything considered, this was probably the most lame thing to complain about, and just let it go.  It's also not the first time someone missed somebody for a handshake too...  It happens a bit through various series, and it wasn't intentional obviously since he did get in line... 

I stand by the notion it was game 7 and it stung and they wanted to bolt quickly thing.  Just wish they'd stop bitching about it.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Maybe it's just poetic justice that Detroit is whining the way Crosby loves to, but I'm so sick of hearing how Crosby was disrespectful for celebrating too long and missing shaking the other teams captain. Shut up!!!!! He won his first cup. Let him celebrate. It wasn't on purpose (like Lebron).

yeah i have to agree with that. and although i was cheering for the pens (sadly) it was very hard to support them (crosby) after his little soccer dive in game (6?). But im happy to see fluery win the cup and cooke, staal, ok and malkin but thats about it lol. now hopefully neither of these teams make it to the finals next year. i want to see new teams up there! its not as entertaining when its the same two teams in the top every year.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #134 on: July 2, 2009, 11:37 AM »
Hooray!  We replaced our often-injured 27 year old Solvakian (Gaborik) with an often injured 28 year old Czech (Havlat).

Gaborik - 8 years, 502 games, 437 points (0.87 ppg), +54 career
Havlat - 8 years, 470 games, 396 points (0.84 ppg), +87 career

Most of the Wild fans I know seem to hate the idea, but to me they are basically the same guy - potential star who never lived up to the hype thanks to injuries.  At least Havlat will save us 2.5mil per year compared to Gaborik, hopefuly we cna use that cap space for someone else who can help score (another Koivu?).

As for the rest of the NHL, I wasn't surprised to see the twins stay in Vancouver.  It would have been tough for them to lost those two.  Also, man the Habs seemed to dump half their team and reload by adding Gomez, Camalleri, Gill, Gionta, Spacek.  They look a lot better already on paper, we'll see how they fair with a new coach.  And Hossa in Chicago is a definite upgrade from Havlat, that should also help Kane/Toews out as well I think. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender