Author Topic: doing a wash?  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
  • NO! This one goes here; and that one goes here.
    • View Profile
doing a wash?
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Hey all,

i want to do some sort of facial wash on a charator to bring out face detail, can n e 1 help me out?

I went to the tips and tricks guide but i got this message.

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you
This is my avatar. Talon Karrde

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: doing a wash?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:22 PM »
It works just fine for me...  ???

Give this thread a try. Hemble has a pretty good method. And Jayson's suggestion may work too.
"This is the way."

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:08 PM »
I use Testors acrylics (they are getting harder to find, but Micheals still usually has them).  If I want a heavy dirty wash, I will dip the brush in water first then dip it quickly in the paint.  Spread the thinned paint up and wipe it off with a rag within a few seconds.  The longer you let it set, the less will wipe off.

For a lighter wash, for detailing, I will dip the brush in the paint first, and then dip it in the water.  The longer you leave it in the water, the lighter your wash will be, and the thinner the coat will be.  However, the thinner the coat, the faster it will dry too, so sometimes you need to work quick.

Finally, don't always use black as your wash color.  Sometimes it's best, but for a more sublte wash, go with a color that is just a few shades darker than what you are washing.

I've found these methods to work okay for highlighting too, but I prefer to drybrush for that.
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:23 AM »
I'm not a Testor's fan so I'll give a different opinion...

I am a Tamiya fan, and Tamiya's usually only available at a good hobby shop (especially if they have a large military models section or RC cars).  I mix my washes to a consistancey I need/want using eye droppers (cheap/disposeable) or syringes I've accumulated (again, cheap/disposeable).

The colors you use vary for washes.  Like if you want to put a wash on a hair paintjob to give it a layered/highlighted look you can use a lighter or darker shade of the same color, etc.  I then let it dry slightly but not completely, and wipe it off with papertowel so it rests in the recessed areas and cleans off the raised areas.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:01 PM »
thanks YA'LL!

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:36 PM »
Check your local hobby shop for bottle of "The Detailer" Black it out. They run about $2.50 or so and come in Black, Red, Blue, Orange,and Yellow. I originally used it to accent detail on chrome for model car stuff, but I still use it for all sorts of stuff. The great thing about this stuff is if you don't like it, it washes off with soap and water. If you're  satisfied with the results, simply seal with a top coat of flat clear. If you can't find it in a shop I'm sure you can find it online  ....The Detailer black it out detailing and liquids.

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:39 PM »
thnx manglord, ill have to check that out.