Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 52714 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Re: CW Y-Wing Starfighter
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2009, 04:01 PM »
Saw what looked like a red striped Y-Wing last night on a CW season 2 commercial.  It was a very brief fly by over what looked like Geonosis, but I bet that will be the next paint scheme offered on this thing. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I am starting to get concerned these will not hit any brick and mortar retail outlets around here at all. It's very odd for a toy to have been out this long (over 6 weeks now at least) and not a single one has shown up at any of the 20+ stores I check each week.

I just don't see any movement on those space-sucking Turbo Tanks and ARC-170's. I think they are going to lay there forever and completely impede the flow of new toys to the shelves.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Saw what looked like a red striped Y-Wing last night on a CW season 2 commercial.  It was a very brief fly by over what looked like Geonosis, but I bet that will be the next paint scheme offered on this thing. 

I saw that as well and immediately thought the same thing.  :D

I am starting to get concerned these will not hit any brick and mortar retail outlets around here at all. It's very odd for a toy to have been out this long (over 6 weeks now at least) and not a single one has shown up at any of the 20+ stores I check each week.

I just don't see any movement on those space-sucking Turbo Tanks and ARC-170's. I think they are going to lay there forever and completely impede the flow of new toys to the shelves.

The Y-wings will show up eventually. Hasbro stated that there was a delay in getting them out there in a decent supply necessitating the shelf space place holder Imp. ARC. Patience.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:57 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2009, 02:38 PM »
Well, those ARC-170's are certainly doing a good job "holding the shelf space" - none have budged around here for weeks.

Patience, to me, is relative. If there are no new toys out, I have no problem waiting for new merch to hit the shelves. But if there's a toy out, but I can't find it yet around here, OH, IT'S ON!

It's like having a mental tic...I just get driven to the point of distraction.

Luckily it has not been so bad with the Y-Wing, since this is a pricey item and unlikely to fly off the shelves when (or if) it hits. I don't feel the same level or urgency.

Lately though my concern has grown as I have seen reports around the Interwebz that we should probably buy this as soon as we see it as it may not be around long, or in great numbers. Richmond is pretty much of a hole, so I don't expect it to be a high priority on Hasbro's distribution manifest.

Having said that. I'll probably see six of them next week...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm hoping these will show up in better numbers eventually.  I haven't seen any sign of them locally either (lots of ARCs, and WM - at least our closest one - doesn't seem to carry the larger vehicles).  Although they have been found for awhile now, it doesn't seem all that wide spread yet.  Still lots of us looking, making me hope they are coming down the pipeline yet.  Plus, I don't know that Hasbro is going to short change any of these CW vehicles, particularly the ones with all-new tooling.  They want them out there as much as we do.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2009, 03:33 PM »
I just missed the Y-Wing the other day. The Arc is everywhere in Chicagoland and is collecting dust. While I really do want one, this is one of the first times that I am OK waiting out for clearance. I will pay $45 not $65. I am not too confident I will see the Y-Wing soon as the case pack is 1 and 1. The last thing stores need are more ARC's. I wonder if Hasbro will pull an order 66 on that one to continue the SKU. I do not see a bright future for this price point.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2009, 04:32 PM »
I got mine two weekends ago, and I initially left it on the shelf. Thought it over, considered the case pack, and decided to go on back to get it. Couldn't regret that decision any less.

I know some of you guys are pro clearance (I am too, when it works) but this is one of the few high ticket, nonexclusive items that I'll tell you to buy when you see it. The ARC is just taking up shelf space, and the fact that the ratio of ARCs to Ys is 3:1 is not a good sign. I'm not sure if the Y-Wing will eventually be 2 per case, but when/if that occurs you may very well be competing with the Christmas shoppers.

It's a shame that the ARC ended up as the placeholder for the line. The Republic Gunship would have been a much better choice as the secondary market prices show that they are always very much in demand. This line does have some potential and seems like a great avenue for the Clone Trooper Shuttle or Twilight, but I doubt it will last through the holiday season. 

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2009, 07:06 PM »
I will buy a Y-Wing on the spot if I see one but I will wait for ARC clearance or a reduced price. (Hopefully Hasbro will have the foresight to send out a Clone Cash like coupon for $20 off soley the ARC). I have never waited any item out before so this is a first for me, I really like the imp deco just not the price. I could not agree more about the Gunship but I think it had more to do with tooling capacity as the TRU one is around the corner. Even though there are upgrades to it,  it's still the same tool and they could not produce it simultaneously. That's why there is a 1:1 in the case pack on Y-Wings, they can only make so many Y-Wings with 1 tool since it got a late start. While I am less inclined on prequel vehicles I would love the Twilight as it would make a great bounty hunter ship. I do not see a bright future for this line........

I believe it would have been wiser to lose the space for now and launch this in the Spring 2010. It's SW so I doubt they would have had a hard time getting that space back later. Other lines would have a hard time. They quite possibly shot themselves on this one. I hope I am wrong.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I saw one for the first time the other day. While I normally pick things up when I see them - this time I chose to leave it.

I do want to get two of these eventually, but I'm in no rush. These will be easy to find by the holiday shopping season.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2009, 10:21 AM »
...These will be easy to find by the holiday shopping season.

I'm not so certain about that. They may or may not be easy to find, but I highly doubt the price will come down, if that's what you're looking for. It's a good design and seems relatively popular. I'm guessing this won't be that easy to find, but for one exception, the price. That is going to be the deciding factor for this thing moving at retail. Lop $20-25 off the price and this thing would "fly" off the shelves, IMO.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Yep, I am not confident that this will be easy to find either...unless they pull an Order 66 on all those Turbo Tanks and ARC-170's that are languishing on the shelves.

I actually saw this for the first time in Walmart last night (figures, after ranting about it) but in a cruel twist of fate they only had one on display and the box was damaged. Not acceptable.

Still, if I saw it at one, I am hopeful it will pop up elsewhere soon.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2009, 10:50 AM »

I actually saw this for the first time in Walmart last night (figures, after ranting about it) but in a cruel twist of fate they only had one on display and the box was damaged. Not acceptable.

I always freak out that stuff will be tough to find and of course at some point it isn't. But my normal rule of thumb as a non opener is buy it when you see it, even in a beat up box, and then exchange it for a better box when you find it again, JUST IN CASE it really does turn out to be tough to find. I'd rather have a crushed box than none at all. My two cents.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2009, 03:31 PM »
I just found this at TRU for $69.99, they lowered their price. My box was has a decent size ding in one corner which means I have a damaged backdrop but like many others it's not a big deal. I am just happy to find it as I think this will be semi difficult to find.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:21 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2009, 03:38 PM »

I always freak out that stuff will be tough to find and of course at some point it isn't. But my normal rule of thumb as a non opener is buy it when you see it, even in a beat up box, and then exchange it for a better box when you find it again, JUST IN CASE it really does turn out to be tough to find. I'd rather have a crushed box than none at all. My two cents.

Yep, I am a non-opener too and I did exactly that with the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid. Bought the first one I saw and later exchanged it for a more minty box.

I guess the deciding factor was the expense...it would be more of an indulgence at this point. I may as well wait until I have a little more discretionary income.

Now if I finish my weekly runs Friday night and STILL haven't found anything new, I will likely change my tune.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2009, 09:12 PM »
I'm really not waiting for a price drop, afterall the one I saw was at a WM which is the best price there is around.

I do normally grab when I see it and for my MIB collection, exchange it out if I find one in better shape (if necessary).

I guess for me, it was more of an issue of budgeting at the moment. I'd much rather have the money right now to spend on things that aren't going to be continually shipping - such as the WM Exclusive Comic packs (if they start to hit) or those new Target CW Battlepacks or buying the Target Geonosis Arena 2-packs from Amazon.com, etc...

As of late, there hasn't been anything that was "rare" as long as you go hunting often enough...

I was freaked out that the Ambush on the Vulture's Claw BP was going to be hard to find, now I'm finding it EVERYWHERE.

The same will be true with the Y-Wing, by November.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!