Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 52717 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Re: Y-Wing Bomber - Good Idea, or Great Idea?
« Reply #90 on: June 3, 2009, 05:05 PM »
I bet that buy the time Gold Squadron was in the Death Star trench they were wishing the second ball turret gunner was still on board!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 4, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Jesse, I'd bet heavy on us seeing a Z-95 Headhunter in the future.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: June 4, 2009, 08:29 PM »
I bet that buy the time Gold Squadron was in the Death Star trench they were wishing the second ball turret gunner was still on board!

That depends...  The second turret would've definitely been a power drain for life support, the weapon itself, and its ability to function.  That removed ball turret probably was to add speed/maneuverability.  The YW maybe wouldn't have even been considered if it wasn't adaptable to "modern" combat like that.  That's the supposed backstory to YW's at least, in that they're relics, but were widely used around the galaxy (and apparantly in the CW) because they're cheap, easy to get/maintain, and much like the Z-95's EU storylines the YW is an adaptable craft.  When stripped down it's still one of the slower Rebel fighters, but it's also one of its toughest and most durable throughout the war...  The X-Wing games described it as the "backbone of the Rebel fighter corps", in numbers and in survivability.  Unmodified from its CW design, it perhaps isn't even fast enough to make it past the higher-level flak fire from the DS's surface and becomes an easier target for the stationary guns.  Kind of like comparing a fighter-bomber to a dedicated bomber, in some sense I guess.

Sorry for the ramblings, I love fighter shop talk though.

I don't know about seeing a Z-95 Sal.  I meant more in the EU (CW3D) than as a toy.  I think it has even less chance as a toy honestly.  Unless it's in the toon of course, and in some quantity there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: June 5, 2009, 05:21 AM »
So we got some prototype images of this...  They're on the front page, go check 'em out!

The weird news is I have heard a preliminary measurement of this, and it may damn well be a to-scale Y-Wing fighter.  I'm wetting myself at the thought.  If it is I'm down for two I think.  If they do a OT sculpt, I'm down for 3 gold decoes and 1 of any other deco they may try.

This may very well be the best fighter Hasbro's ever done if those measurements hold true.

Anyhoo, check out the front page, and look the details of this behemoth over because they're a-plenty!  Opening hatches and whatnot, looks like a  little ordinance too.  Very neat toy regardless.  I'm giddy at the thoughts though, that this thing may be accurate.  Hasbro will have me totally roped in on it if they did it that nice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 5, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Looks a little chunky to me. Not sure if I dig the parts above the nacelles either.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #95 on: June 5, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Looks a little chunky to me. Not sure if I dig the parts above the nacelles either.

I thought the same thing at first but I just think it's assembled incorrectly. Those nacelles should be rotated inward 90º to fit into the angled areas of the fuselage.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2009, 02:33 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 5, 2009, 10:28 AM »
They're on the front page, go check 'em out!

I still seem to forget doing that.  Thanks for the reminder.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 5, 2009, 12:06 PM »
Eh, the more I see this the more I'm turned off.  I think it makes me only like the OT design more.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 5, 2009, 12:58 PM »
I think it looks pretty cool, especially if it is as big as Jesse is hearing.  I keep trying to cut back on the PT/CW ships I buy, but so many of them look like nice (and fun) toys.  I might be tempted to pick one of these up, we'll see what the final product looks like (and the budget at the time).  I get more tempted by the CW vehicles that have an "OT vibe" ;).

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 8, 2009, 12:39 PM »
Wow, just wow....and not in a good way. When I first saw the prototype drawing for this before the cartoon I was excited about the ship. Seeing these new photos though, BLEH. I think I can easily pass on this now if those nacelles are like that. The price is still nagging me too.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #100 on: June 8, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Wow, just wow....and not in a good way. When I first saw the prototype drawing for this before the cartoon I was excited about the ship. Seeing these new photos though, BLEH. I think I can easily pass on this now if those nacelles are like that. The price is still nagging me too.

I thought the same thing at first but I just think it's assembled incorrectly. Those nacelles should be rotated inward 90º to fit into the angled areas of the fuselage.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2009, 12:42 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #101 on: June 8, 2009, 01:50 PM »
I'm starting to get excited about this.  It looks really big, at least 2' long, and I'm loving the fact that I'm getting a SW ship with a function ball turret!  That's super cool.  I always loved those on WWII bombers, and am really looking forward to playing with this thing (Dobn't shoot the astromech!  {Unless it's Goldie!})

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #102 on: June 8, 2009, 10:56 PM »
Are you sure this thing is two feet long?  That would put it at about the size of the BMF Falcon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #103 on: June 9, 2009, 11:40 AM »
I don't know how long it is, I am just estimating on the size of the cockpit compared to the old Y-Wing cockpit.  Jesse James claims to know the length of this, but he is not saying.  There is a measuring tape under the ship, but it is a little too blurry to read the numbers.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: June 9, 2009, 03:40 PM »
The measurement estimate I was given is probably not exact, but puts it right around being to-scale to 1:18.  Slightly smaller, which actually SW figures are more in the 1:19 TO 1:20 range as 1:18 is a hair larger.  I consider it not a big difference and SW scale is all over the board at times too.  Look at Captain Needa or a DST for instance.  ::)

The measurement I was given could be off so I'm hesitant to say for sure it's to-scale, but if it was right then it's almost dead on.