Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 13352 times)

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
CW Y-Wing Starfighter
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Just watched part of the third <i>Clone Wars</i> episode last night.  While I liked the movie, I didn't much care for the first two episodes.  This one, though?  Awesome.  Lots of new droids, new clones, some space whales, and the supremely awesome Y-wing Bomber, which I'm convinced I need to start making a stink about in hopes of Hasbro doing it.  Especially since I'm sure they can repaint it like the dickens, or whatever it is kids say these days.  (Probably not that.)

I know a lot of people aren't watching the show, but it was super-rad to see the familiar engine glow-- and a whole squad of them piloted by Anakin and clones.  Plus there's a pilot seat, a gunner seat, and an Astromech socket.  Seems to me like the perfect toy waiting to happen, preferably in the $30 & up size/pricepoint.  Anybody else hoping to see one?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 05:51 PM by Jeff »
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I like big books and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
    • http://darby-harn.blogspot.com/
Re: Y-Wing Bomber - Good Idea, or Great Idea?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:59 PM »
I think it would make a great toy.  I always felt myself the Y-Wing probably looked 30 years old in ANH, so I'm not sure it needed a 'predecessor' but this version with the McQuarrie gun turret is nice.  I expect Hasbro will be all over it.

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:05 PM »
I really like this ship.  I'm a big fan of the Y-wing ( I think I have about 5 of them).  I would be all over this version.  Love the gunner seat and the droid socket.  Sign me up!!!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi General
  • Deceived? WHAT?!?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:06 PM »
I asked about this in the JTA Q&A's a couple of months ago when some of the initial Clone Wars artwork came out.  And I followed it up in  this JTA Q&A session.  Hasbro's response?

Q. We asked in a previous Q&A session about the Clone Wars era Y-Wing, and Hasbro's response seems to have been pretty positive.  Since that session, the DK reference book STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS - THE VISUAL GUIDE has been released and shows Anakin and Ahsoka in some intense action in a Y-Wing.  Does this give the Clone Wars Y-Wing a better shot at being in next year's vehicle lineup?  And if it comes to pass, how about a functional droid socket?

A. It does give it a better shot at getting made eventually. No word right now on timing. As far as a droid slot that would be a great idea, and a mandatory feature if such a vehicle did eventually happen.

I for one would love to see a Clone Wars Y-Wing.  It was one of my favorite OT vehicles, and I like the backstory on the ship.  This Clone Wars episode helped flesh out that backstory.
"You were entrusted to lead the Republic." - Vote for Ven Zallow from THE OLD REPUBLIC in figure polls!

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I'd LOVE to see this made.

Better yet, it would be AWESOME if Hasbro made the new outer armor REMOVABLE! Then we'd have an OT Y-wing as well.

If this is made as a two-seater, that's great! If it's still a one-seater, I'm okay with that.

MAKE THE CW Y-WING HASBRO! please....
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi General
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:29 AM »
I dunno. If it had removable panels, then yes.
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi General
  • Deceived? WHAT?!?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 10:41 AM »
Removable panels would definitely be cool.  But the cockpit layout would still be significantly different from the OT version because of the gunner station.
"You were entrusted to lead the Republic." - Vote for Ven Zallow from THE OLD REPUBLIC in figure polls!

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Great idea, this is one of my most wanted items from the new show. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 06:10 PM »
One for me please.....and all of the inevitable repaints.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 02:13 AM »
I know a lot of people aren't watching the show

Really?  It was the most watched premiere on the network, and I think tons of adult fans helped fuel that...  I know I watch and DVR (so I can rewatch and scrutinize) every episode. :)

And I'm all for a new Y-Wing with skin...  I'd love it if it met my normal criteria of greatness, which is doable for a ship this size.  Y-Wings aren't massive so the $30 pricepoint could definitely work if it were to come in at ARC-170-ish in size to make it to-scale.

I'm more geeked to get a 4-legged GONK droid right now though.  Dunno why, just really want that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:07 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 10:17 AM »
Y-Wings aren't massive so the $30 pricepoint could definitely work if it were to come in at ARC-170-ish in size to make it to-scale.

Haven't you heard that $50 is the new $30?  It's all the rave at Hasbro.   ;)

I'm more geeked to get a 4-legged GONK droid right now though.  Dunno why, just really want that.

I agree.  I thought he was freakin awesome and a total suprise.  Had to hit rewind and pause a few times on the ol Video Cassette Recorder.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Eh, true...  There may not be much coming in at $30 these days.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 06:22 PM »
Hey I love the idea of a new Y-Wing.  I think it would be especially cool if it were tooled so that all the panels could come off to reveal the OT Y-Wing underneath!  Could make for some great play features - battle damage or a maintenance scene.  Probably make the thing twice as expensive though.

I put a page up on the Star Wars Astromechs site devoted to Clone Wars astromechs if you want to check out some possible pack-in figure material. 

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/astromechs/

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The North Remembers
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 06:28 PM »
Hey I love the idea of a new Y-Wing.  I think it would be especially cool if it were tooled so that all the panels could come off to reveal the OT Y-Wing underneath!  Could make for some great play features - battle damage or a maintenance scene.  Probably make the thing twice as expensive though.

I put a page up on the Star Wars Astromechs site devoted to Clone Wars astromechs if you want to check out some possible pack-in figure material. 

Just could resist throwing that link in another post, huh? ;)
Big Damn Hero Productions

"Winter is coming."

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 07:05 PM »

Just could resist throwing that link in another post, huh? ;)

I thought it was relevant to the Y-Wing, as it is, after all, the only compendium of all the astromechs shown in Y-Wings in the new Clone Wars series on the web.

Do you think that astromechs that appear in the Y-Wings during the Clone Wars series are not relevant and off-topic?