Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 52706 times)

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
CW Y-Wing Starfighter
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Just watched part of the third <i>Clone Wars</i> episode last night.  While I liked the movie, I didn't much care for the first two episodes.  This one, though?  Awesome.  Lots of new droids, new clones, some space whales, and the supremely awesome Y-wing Bomber, which I'm convinced I need to start making a stink about in hopes of Hasbro doing it.  Especially since I'm sure they can repaint it like the dickens, or whatever it is kids say these days.  (Probably not that.)

I know a lot of people aren't watching the show, but it was super-rad to see the familiar engine glow-- and a whole squad of them piloted by Anakin and clones.  Plus there's a pilot seat, a gunner seat, and an Astromech socket.  Seems to me like the perfect toy waiting to happen, preferably in the $30 & up size/pricepoint.  Anybody else hoping to see one?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 05:51 PM by Jeff »
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Y-Wing Bomber - Good Idea, or Great Idea?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:59 PM »
I think it would make a great toy.  I always felt myself the Y-Wing probably looked 30 years old in ANH, so I'm not sure it needed a 'predecessor' but this version with the McQuarrie gun turret is nice.  I expect Hasbro will be all over it.

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:05 PM »
I really like this ship.  I'm a big fan of the Y-wing ( I think I have about 5 of them).  I would be all over this version.  Love the gunner seat and the droid socket.  Sign me up!!!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:06 PM »
I asked about this in the JTA Q&A's a couple of months ago when some of the initial Clone Wars artwork came out.  And I followed it up in  this JTA Q&A session.  Hasbro's response?

Q. We asked in a previous Q&A session about the Clone Wars era Y-Wing, and Hasbro's response seems to have been pretty positive.  Since that session, the DK reference book STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS - THE VISUAL GUIDE has been released and shows Anakin and Ahsoka in some intense action in a Y-Wing.  Does this give the Clone Wars Y-Wing a better shot at being in next year's vehicle lineup?  And if it comes to pass, how about a functional droid socket?

A. It does give it a better shot at getting made eventually. No word right now on timing. As far as a droid slot that would be a great idea, and a mandatory feature if such a vehicle did eventually happen.

I for one would love to see a Clone Wars Y-Wing.  It was one of my favorite OT vehicles, and I like the backstory on the ship.  This Clone Wars episode helped flesh out that backstory.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I'd LOVE to see this made.

Better yet, it would be AWESOME if Hasbro made the new outer armor REMOVABLE! Then we'd have an OT Y-wing as well.

If this is made as a two-seater, that's great! If it's still a one-seater, I'm okay with that.

MAKE THE CW Y-WING HASBRO! please....
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:29 AM »
I dunno. If it had removable panels, then yes.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 10:41 AM »
Removable panels would definitely be cool.  But the cockpit layout would still be significantly different from the OT version because of the gunner station.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Great idea, this is one of my most wanted items from the new show. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 06:10 PM »
One for me please.....and all of the inevitable repaints.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 02:13 AM »
I know a lot of people aren't watching the show

Really?  It was the most watched premiere on the network, and I think tons of adult fans helped fuel that...  I know I watch and DVR (so I can rewatch and scrutinize) every episode. :)

And I'm all for a new Y-Wing with skin...  I'd love it if it met my normal criteria of greatness, which is doable for a ship this size.  Y-Wings aren't massive so the $30 pricepoint could definitely work if it were to come in at ARC-170-ish in size to make it to-scale.

I'm more geeked to get a 4-legged GONK droid right now though.  Dunno why, just really want that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:07 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 10:17 AM »
Y-Wings aren't massive so the $30 pricepoint could definitely work if it were to come in at ARC-170-ish in size to make it to-scale.

Haven't you heard that $50 is the new $30?  It's all the rave at Hasbro.   ;)

I'm more geeked to get a 4-legged GONK droid right now though.  Dunno why, just really want that.

I agree.  I thought he was freakin awesome and a total suprise.  Had to hit rewind and pause a few times on the ol Video Cassette Recorder.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Eh, true...  There may not be much coming in at $30 these days.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 06:22 PM »
Hey I love the idea of a new Y-Wing.  I think it would be especially cool if it were tooled so that all the panels could come off to reveal the OT Y-Wing underneath!  Could make for some great play features - battle damage or a maintenance scene.  Probably make the thing twice as expensive though.

I put a page up on the Star Wars Astromechs site devoted to Clone Wars astromechs if you want to check out some possible pack-in figure material. 

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/astromechs/

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 06:28 PM »
Hey I love the idea of a new Y-Wing.  I think it would be especially cool if it were tooled so that all the panels could come off to reveal the OT Y-Wing underneath!  Could make for some great play features - battle damage or a maintenance scene.  Probably make the thing twice as expensive though.

I put a page up on the Star Wars Astromechs site devoted to Clone Wars astromechs if you want to check out some possible pack-in figure material. 

Just could resist throwing that link in another post, huh? ;)
"This is the way."

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 07:05 PM »

Just could resist throwing that link in another post, huh? ;)

I thought it was relevant to the Y-Wing, as it is, after all, the only compendium of all the astromechs shown in Y-Wings in the new Clone Wars series on the web.

Do you think that astromechs that appear in the Y-Wings during the Clone Wars series are not relevant and off-topic?