Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 52707 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Y-Wing Bomber - Good Idea, or Great Idea?
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2009, 09:31 PM »
What scares me is $75 for this release and then a myriad of repaints for $100 - $150 each.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2009, 10:40 AM »
What's scarier is that your math is about right.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2009, 03:47 PM »
I'm SO disappointed in Hasbro on this. The ship is awesome no doubts. But the price? It's ridiculous. At $30 which is what I expected this to be, I'd have bought 3. At $40 I might have bought 2. Now I know I'm only buying 1 of them. Sucks to as I wanted one to put Anakin in and another for a clone pilot.

You honestly expect to see new ship designs like this for $30?  I'm not thrilled with the price, but I'm sure Hasbro is pricing these at what they need to in order to turn a profit.  Remember, they don't get your full $70, they get maybe half that selling to retailers like Target or Walmart and the retailers get the other half.  If you factor in overhead, design, materials sourcing, production, shipping, etc. I'm not at all surprised that something of this size and 100% new is going to cost us $60-70.  That's still considerably less than something like the AT-TE or TurboTank.

Look at it this way, Hasbro can either make it and sell to you for $70 or they can decide to not make it at all because they won't get enough profit.  If you don't like the cost, simply don't buy it and it will be no different for you than if they hadn't made it in the first place.  You know there will be sales and clearance on these as well, so I'm sure a number of people will be able to get it at $50-60 or even less given time.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2009, 06:02 PM »
But will they make much profit if very few purchase it because of a high pricepoint?

The Jedi Starfighters sold very well and they were new molds (until the myriad of repaints which also sold well) and they were at a significantly lower pricepoint.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2009, 10:27 PM »
If you look at the pictures of this that have been released so far, you can see that the Y-Wing is going to be over twice the length of the Jedi fighter, if not longer, with much more girth as well as some fairly complicated features in the dual cockpit.  Shouldn't twice the ship = twice the price? 

It also lends itself to MUCH fewer repaint opportunities, (being seen in only one livery thus far) and therefore repeat purchases, which would impact Hasbro's pricing strategy (I'm sure they considered the opportunity to release about 6 screen accurate versions of the Jedi fighter when they first priced the vehicle). 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2009, 11:24 AM »
But will they make much profit if very few purchase it because of a high pricepoint?

Hasbro's all but already made all the profit to make it worth their while. They don't (or at least shouldn't) go into production unless there's already a pre-sold quantity to retailers. At this point it's all about the retailers standing to take the hit. If there's not much in the way of re-orders, that's when Hasbro knows whether or not the item was a success, but they really didn't take the loss unless they over produced like the E1 line. But then again, these things are really inexpensive to make and distribute.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2009, 11:43 AM »
For me it really comes down to how many more times is Hasbro going to expect me to buy this vehicle?

For example, if the AT-TE only comes out once and they wanted $100 for it then fine. I'm okay with that.

But I'm willing to bet that they are trying to convince a retailer somewhere to take a "Shadow" AT-TE as an exclusive. Which means the same toy with a new paint-op will be 1.5x the price it was before.

Now sure, I could pass on it, but after 15 years of having everything, is that really an option? Nope.

Same goes with the Y-Wing, are they going to repaint the heck out of this just like they did with the Jedi Starfighters? I sure as heck hope not, but looking at what's going on with the ARC-170, I would have never thought that four years after it's initial release it would be going for almost DOUBLE what it originally came out for as part of the same assortment that the Y-Wing is in.

I'm sorry, but the smaller vehicles are $20 - $25, Hasbro SHOULD be finding a way to have these double-size vehicles be $50 - $60 -- crossing the $70 mark is just asking for trouble.

I think a lot of retailers are going to SIT on these due to the price. Look at the B-Wing exclusive to TRU, are you telling me that just because it isn't "Clone Wars" it's not selling? That's b.s. TRU has clearanced it down to $30 and it STILL isn't moving. What makes Hasbro think $70 vehicles are going to move?

I think we'll get the Y-Wing and the Shadow ARC-170 and this assortment line will be done.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2009, 06:02 PM »
There will be an intial slow sell through from collectors to be sure, but ya - I hope the rest rot at these prices even though that means no more large vehicles.  Hasbro needs to learn a lesson from this - as I'm seeing with piles and piles of unsold CW Jabbas at $25 which they may have seen coming because they're switching back to those repack bps again.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2009, 06:28 PM »
There will be an intial slow sell through from collectors to be sure, but ya - I hope the rest rot at these prices even though that means no more large vehicles.  Hasbro needs to learn a lesson from this - as I'm seeing with piles and piles of unsold CW Jabbas at $25 which they may have seen coming because they're switching back to those repack bps again.

I guess we'll see, but I think the opposite is going to happen.  I think there are enough people interested even at the high price that these will probably sell out when they first show up.  Depending on how many each store gets, things may slow down and we might start seeing these clog shelves, but isn't there are a repack shipping with this as well?  I'm expecting to see lots of those and not much of the bombers. 

As for the CW Jabbas, I think the issue there is more assortment driven than price.  $25 certainly doesn't help, but at 2 per case versus the Yavin and AT-TE Squad at 1 per case, its no wonder this thing is sitting around.  I know plenty of people that want 2 more Yavin sets - not too many of us need a second or third animated Jabba.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 1, 2009, 10:09 AM »
I'm SO disappointed in Hasbro on this. The ship is awesome no doubts. But the price? It's ridiculous. At $30 which is what I expected this to be, I'd have bought 3. At $40 I might have bought 2. Now I know I'm only buying 1 of them. Sucks to as I wanted one to put Anakin in and another for a clone pilot.

You honestly expect to see new ship designs like this for $30?  I'm not thrilled with the price, but I'm sure Hasbro is pricing these at what they need to in order to turn a profit.  Remember, they don't get your full $70, they get maybe half that selling to retailers like Target or Walmart and the retailers get the other half.  If you factor in overhead, design, materials sourcing, production, shipping, etc. I'm not at all surprised that something of this size and 100% new is going to cost us $60-70.  That's still considerably less than something like the AT-TE or TurboTank.

Look at it this way, Hasbro can either make it and sell to you for $70 or they can decide to not make it at all because they won't get enough profit.  If you don't like the cost, simply don't buy it and it will be no different for you than if they hadn't made it in the first place.  You know there will be sales and clearance on these as well, so I'm sure a number of people will be able to get it at $50-60 or even less given time.

I did factor all of that in...

Point being this is NOT an AT-TE or a Turbo Tank. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that those do. From what I understand it's only a little bigger than the Y-wing we have right now.

The only way I could justify this pricepoint is if the panels came off and we would then be left with an OT Ywing. THAT would do it for me. But it doesn't appear this is the case. If I'm wrong on that, I'll happily admit it.

So, yes I DO expect to pay only $30, 40 tops for a ship like this. We only are paying $20-24 for the NEW Magnadroid fighter and that's an awesome ship. It has a few little bells and whistles and that's all it needs. Same for this CW Y-wing.

I know what I'm going to do for this now. I'm going to buy one at full price, hold onto the receipt. Then if it goes on sale, buy it at that price (and hopefully multiples depending on the sale price), then take one back with the receipt from the original full price and get my money back. The only reason for purchasing this at full price initially is that I do see it as being a popular ship and will sell well, so I don't want to take a chance and miss out.

However, I won't be convinced that this is anything more than greed for the pricepoint of this ship.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 1, 2009, 07:04 PM »
However, I won't be convinced that this is anything more than greed for the pricepoint of this ship.

I agree with Sal here - when a ship like the ARC-170 ends up in Black and in the same assortment at the same price and it originally came out in 2005 for $29.99 and then in 2007 for $29.99 as a Target exclusive and then in 2008 we got it again for $44.99 as a TRU exclusive and then in 2009 for $74.99 is nothing more than GREED.

So even if you want to say the overall price for manufacturing has gone up, that means that if the ARC-170 = the Y-Wing in Hasbro's mind (i.e. in the same assortment) then this assortment shouldn't be a penny more than $49.99.

It just shouldn't. (and in my mind letting them mark it up by $5 compared to the 2008 exclusive price is being overly generous)
« Last Edit: June 1, 2009, 07:05 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 2, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Wasn´t the Ot Y wing a ship with a two seats cockpit too? I say this for the holiday special and the Splinter of the eye mind comic.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #87 on: June 2, 2009, 11:37 PM »
Wasn´t the Ot Y wing a ship with a two seats cockpit too? I say this for the holiday special and the Splinter of the eye mind comic.

I'll bet Jesse has a much better answer for you than I can come up with, but I think that there were two versions of the ship. One was a single seater, like we saw at the Battle of Yavin. And then EU sources have made up a two seater as well.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: June 3, 2009, 03:43 AM »
The Alliance Y-Wings are mostly altered to have the turret removed, as well as most of the armor, to make them faster, a little more maneuverable, and more reliant on the on-board astromech to help in ship operations.  The turret is replaced with a fixed-front dual Ion Cannon then, but it can be fixed to face dead 0 in the rear as well (though that's only mentioned, never actually seen in games or anything).

Some Y-Wings are altered then in EU, as originally in the EU the ion cannon was what the ship came with just like in the OT, however the Y-Wings in their original state now (as we see it in Clone Wars 3D) has a different turreted rear gunner...  The EU Y-Wings with dual seat cockpits have the rear-gunner sitting similar to the Snowspeeder pilot/gunner duo, and he is able to operate the ion cannon on top rotating it 360 degrees + tilting up/down somewhat.

So, the summary of all that BS is that there's the Clone Wars Y-Wing which is a YW in its original state.  There is the original trilogy Y-Wings then, with their heavily stripped down looks, and removed gunner turret with a fixed forward ion cannon mounted on the cockpit top.  Then there is the EU Y-Wing where either it's an alteration the Alliance has made, or Y-Wings were maybe produced with this alteration as well, where there's a back-to-back configuration for pilot/gunner, and there's a movable gun atop the craft for the gunner to fire.

The CW3D Y-Wings have goofed up the EU continuity somewhat with the YW, but at the same time they're adhering to the YW being an old craft that dates from the Clone Wars.  I would've liked seeing Z-95's myself.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 3, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Thanks Ryan and Jesse for your answers. :)