Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 53055 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: CW Y-Wing Starfighter
« Reply #195 on: October 12, 2009, 05:34 PM »
It's a "manchurian candidate" type thing, so I think it's plausible.  I never honestly had a problem with it.  I'm sure the more independant the Clone, the less likely they are to follow the order, but the true independant Clones are the ARC's, perhaps the Commandoes...  Commanders are trained by ARCs, according to EU, but they're not ARCs.  They're still the more simplified Clone design.

I really like the "Manchurian Candidate" comparison. I think that's a good way to look at it.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2009, 10:12 AM »
How are the order 66 scenes already so powerful? At what point did the Jedi earn our sympathy?

How is the massacre of the Jedi Order not powerful, regardless of how you feel about the Jedi?

How you feel about the Jedi is what gives the scene it's power. If the Jedi were these great people who you've seen in their prime (NOT heard about,) and who fell from grace to the point where they can so easily be fooled, then yes, it's powerful. On the flip side, if these people were always in a state of grey (as far as the audience can see) with so much moral ambiguity that they were nowhere close to the guardians that Obi-wan described in A New Hope, then who cares?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Knowing the story of SW, watching the Jedi die is powerful to ME. I don't need to feel a certain way about them. They were important one way or the other.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2009, 04:19 PM »
I'll admit I teared up when I first watched ROTS and saw Order 66 executed. It got to me when Ki-Adi and Aayla were struck down.

I need to go watch the movies again. Gawd, I think it's been a year since I watched them. Shame on me.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2009, 05:28 PM »
I'll admit I teared up when I first watched ROTS and saw Order 66 executed. It got to me when Ki-Adi and Aayla were struck down.

I felt the same way - even though everything I had really "known" about Ki-Adi or Aayla was primarily from reading the comic books - it was sad to me to see them get killed by their own troops.

My original point was that if you were someone who DIDN'T really feel any emotional attachment to Jedi like Ki-Adi, Plo, Aayla, etc... then the insertion of an Ashoka death scene into a future BluRay release of ROTS should provide an over-the-top emotional punch to the Order 66 sequence.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #200 on: November 9, 2009, 05:47 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread I just moved and I am setting up my collection in a dedicated room and I had a pile of vehicles that I finally opened months after I bought them. The CW Y-Wing and Imperial Arc were two of the vehicles I picked up and I have to say I enjoyed the Imperial ARC more than the new Y-Wing. While the Arc is overpriced I was able to get one for $45 shipped. I feel very happy with the purchase the deco is beautiful and has such a nice look to it. By far the best repaint of it to date, it should be for the price. Slap in some WM Black ARC pilots, saga2 Black R2 unit and this sucker looks really sharp!

The Y-Wing is nice but seriously lacks in the deco dept, it's way too clean looking. It's pretty big but there is not much to it, to the point that it is almost like wasted space. While very accurate to the material I cannot say I hate it but I also cannot say I love it either. It falls in that grey area and you could easily live without it in your collection.

If I had to chose between the two I would go for the ARC.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 9, 2009, 10:48 PM »
All I know is I can't wait for the dirty Red Y-Wing from Landing at Point Rain...they gotta roll that out next year.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 6, 2009, 04:12 PM »
I just can't convince myself to fork out $65 or so for this.  If it was priced in the $40 range, sure.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 6, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I just can't convince myself to fork out $65 or so for this.  If it was priced in the $40 range, sure.

I had a clone cash coupon, plus I got a 20% off coupon that printed at checkout so it wasn't too bad, but ya - still overpriced even though it's still waiting to be "scanned" into my collection.  Glad to have it though.   :)

Still not seeing these en masse at retail anywhere in my neck of the woods.  Pretty scarce still for the most part do to the ARCs.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 7, 2009, 12:23 PM »

I'm with you on this one. If it were $40, I'd have bought 2 of them. The $65+ price is keeping me from even buying one.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #205 on: December 7, 2009, 02:08 PM »

It's not bad and it's not great. If you do not have this in your collection I would say wait to get it at a lower price through coupons or find it used. I personally think you would not miss it in your collection. I have one and I expect Hasbro will rerelease this again in the Geonosian red deco as seen in this seasons episode. (I do think this will look sharper in red.) It's a big vehicle but not worth $65 (See it sitting on a 30 inch wide shelf below). If it had sounds/lights it would have been much cooler, there is so much room for electronics in this thing.

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #206 on: December 8, 2009, 10:55 AM »
I imagine in later versions we will see updates like lights & sound, and hopefully a fully rotating ball turret! 

I'm hoping that they do a republic red version as well, but that may depend on how long this release hangs around.  I could see the Y-Wing pop up again this year or next in yet another color.  And as with the ARC, is there really any doubt that eventually we'll see an Imperial Y-Wing in black & gray?  Wouldn't that be a twist, rebel vs Imperial Y-Wings.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 10, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I recently begun a weathering project on my Y-Wing.  The factory-fresh gloss of it was just disconcerting, especially since the Star Wars universe was always so dirty.  The process is far from complete, but basically, I gave the vehicle a wash with charcoal pastel and sealed it with dullcote.  There will still be more details to include such as oil stains, lazer burns, exhaust stains, etc.  but even with a dirty wash over it, the Y-Wing looks better in my opinion.  I'll post pictures eventually.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2009, 11:27 PM »
This will probably be the only Clone Wars vehicle I buy, since I've never owned a Y-Wing in any form (I try to draw the line with the realistic SW toys...otherwise I'd be bankrupt).  While I would prefer a vintage style Y-Wing, the scale and overall design of this beast is pretty impressive.  I kind of hated the look of this when the design was first unveiled, but it's grown on me.  The price is insane though...I paid twenty dollars more for the BMF, and that doesn't make a lick of sense.  Either the price should be cut in half, or there should be more whizz-bang gadgets or a more detailed paint job.

It really is huge, and has tonnes of projectiles.  The two seater cockpit is pretty tight for standard SW figures (the spindly Clone Wars figs should have no problem), but I managed to get a couple of rebel pilots squeezed in there.

LOVE the back compartment...there are two rocket launchers that are supposed to fill the space, but when I was a kid I would have used it for cargo space...there's a lot of room in there:

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Good pics!  Looks great with some rebs in there.  Hasbro just said in the last Q&A that they have no plans for a redeco, as they still have a lot of the yellow version to go through.