Author Topic: GOG.com Going Nuts Releasing Star Wars Games  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
GOG.com Going Nuts Releasing Star Wars Games
« on: January 21, 2015, 12:48 AM »
My dreams are coming true!

First GOG.com released X-Wing and TIE Fighter...  Now?  Oh my!

GOG released KOTOR II, Battlefront II, Galactic Battlegrounds, X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter, and my favorites...

Dark Forces, and X-Wing: Alliance too!

Yes, two of the ULTIMATE storylines in Star Wars EU, ever IMHO, are now simple downloadable games that'll play on modern machines.

To boot?  X-Wing: Alliance may damn well be moddable so if you have a fast rig, check out X-Wing: Alliance Upgrade...  they've made insanely detailed ops for the game for YEARS (since its release), and can make Alliance look like it was made yesterday visually.

Your PC will need to be beefy to run Alliance Upgrade downloads but I'm guessing they're already making sure it's compatible and everything works.  They can take the game from dated looking, to something you'd see on any modern console (or better).  Their work is professional to say the least.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: GOG.com Going Nuts Releasing Star Wars Games
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:21 PM »
More...

The original Rogue Squad, which had good story and awesome new EU vehicles (love the hover tanks in it.  Antiquated looking but neat), Empire At War (complete game!) Rebellion (blah), Republic Commando (AWESOME!)...  Lots of goodness and more to come in 2015 they say.

I'm hopeful for Force Commander, the other Rogue Squad Games, Bounty Hunter...  All great storylines, and despite Matt_Fury and I disagreeing on FC's gameplay, I still maintain it's a miles superior game overall to Galactic Battlegrounds.  Empire At War, eh, not so much.  I barely played that though due to the game's demands on my machine at the time.  :(  It played nice though, what I did play.

Jedi Knight (How'd I forget) now also on GOG...  Hopefully Mysteries of the Sith soon to follow.  People who didn't play Dark Forces, JK, and MOTS, missed out on some of the finest EU in all of EU. 

Those alone + XW, TIE, and XW: Alliance, would've made me happy.  The rest of these downloads are just a bowl of gravy at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:22 PM »
I'm hopeful for ... the other Rogue Squad Games, Bounty Hunter...
As much as I would love to see those it will never happen because they were never available on PC.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 04:04 PM »
I'm not so sure...  Porting old games seems relatively easy, but each I'm not counting on it.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:06 PM »
I just had to drop a few hundy on car repairs, otherwise I'd be all over these
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Ugh I hear you on that...  My gf bought a truck before Christmas, which when you get something old (99) with over 100k on it you know it'll have problems, but I've nicknamed this thing Murphy...  and I do my own work, and with a steep parts discount (better than garage discounts), so I can totally feel your pain there.

At the moment it's apart in the garage while I try figuring out why the alternator is intermittently kicking the battery light on/off.  Electrical probs are always a real joy to track down. 

Murphy strikes again.  ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Oh, and by the by, the X-Wing: Alliance Upgrade Project, is indeed working to modify their modifications for the old original release of the game, so that it will work with GOG's digital download.

That's right folks, if you have the machine for it, hyper detailed graphics and ship models will be available so this game looks much more modern!

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 01:28 AM »
Not GOG, but Steam now has a great May the 4th holiday deal going on...  Really good prices on all these old games.  I'm caving now and buying the Jedi Knight collection, and getting X-Wing: Alliance on sale (Not a fan of XvT anyway, so skipping it).

I think Rogue Squadron is up on Steam, may grab it too while I'm at it.  Always wanted screen caps from it to build that sweet old looking hovertank they have or some of the buildings.

Check It Out!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:31 AM by Jesse James »