Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 51847 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #15 on: June 2, 2009, 09:08 PM »
The trailer looks awesome!  Too bad this is going to be an MMORPG.  I'd prefer another KOTOR type RPG.

I definitely would too. But from what I've read it is actually going to be more of a hybrid. It is going to be really interesting to see where this game goes.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: June 2, 2009, 09:54 PM »
iFett,  I have no clue why anyone would tell you those games and the XB are trash.  Honestly I'd say not to shop there since those people are clueless about gaming as near as I can tell.  KOTOR was award winning...  KOTOR2 is supposedly more of the same, nothing really "new" to it, and I'm ok with that.  I am entertained by going to new planets and such, so I wouldn't pay attention to what those people were saying.  HALO2 is ok... I'm not a huge HALO fanfor anything but online gaming though, but that's me.  They're good games by most people's account but I find them most entertaining for multiplayer.

Don't worry Ryan, like I said I'm mostly into seeing new vehicles, new locations, architecture.  Lame?  Maybe, but it's a customizing thing in mymind I think, haha.

I love my XB to the point I didn't even sell it.  I had the see-through-green HALO edition box and I adore it still.  My 360 gets most of my attention of course, but I still bust out the old XB too for some Brother's in Arms, or whatnot.  Piss on that store, whatever it is.

I'm still trying to get my friggin' live working on my XB.  I'm hoping to have it for summer time goofing off with the kids and **** talking on Chinese 12 year olds at 3 a.m., haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #17 on: June 2, 2009, 11:44 PM »
[link=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sacking_of_Coruscant]The Sacking of Coruscant[/link]

Very cool... wish there were more novels on this era, as I'm not a PC gamer.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 04:35 PM »
I've still not played KOTOR2 but am looking forward to it since we got a Nihilus figure.  I'm just lazy about gaming.

Don't look forward to it that much or you'll be severely disappointed... :-X

I think that POV may depend on whether or not you've got a PS3 or X-Box 360.  Those platforms have taken gaming to a new level.  But there are still a good number of casual gamers out there that still have not taken the next gen console plunge.  They've simply been priced out of the market.  That's one of the reasons why Sony is STILL releasing PS-2 titles.  Just look at The Force Unleashed.  That was even released as a PS-2 title in addition to PS-3 and X-Box 360.

That being said, I think KOTOR 2 is cool.  However, I think it doesn't break a lot of new ground that hadn't been covered in the first KOTOR.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 07:30 PM »
I think all the issues people have with KOTOR II is that is wasn't finished when sent out for sale.  If they had actually finished the game, people would still be raving about it!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 06:57 PM »
I saw this snipet inside an article on Yahoo this afternoon.  The article as about the discrepancies between video games and hollywood projects.

LucasArts put in the time for its new release, "Star Wars: The Old Republic," a game it is developing with Canadian outfit BioWare for games giant Electronic Arts.

"Star Wars"-based games have gotten mixed reviews in the past, but the buzz has been strong for "The Old Republic." LucasArts and BioWare have spent years designing the title, which will be a massively multiplayer online game similar to "World of Warcraft" -- a game intended to be played online by thousands of people simultaneously.

PC Gamer U.K. called "The Old Republic" "a credible 'World of Warcraft' killer," and the lineups to see the demo at gamescom have been longer than those at most movie premieres.

We have a lot to live up to with this game, which is why we've spent so much time and money on it," [Jake] Meri said [a producer at LucasArts]. "It will be the first fully voiced MMO game in the world. Voicing this game has been the most ambitions voiceover project ever -- we have thousands of characters speaking more than 200,000 lines of dialogue."

That sounds like a lot of dialogue!

Here's a link to the whole article

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 02:01 PM »
I guess the beta for this has opened up or has been for some time now.  I started the enrollment/application process but put it on hold until I can complete the application at home because it scans your computer as part of the application process so that Bioware knows what you are running on.

This would be really cool to get in on.   8)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 01:44 PM »
the new trailer for this from E3 is up - you can find it on youtube

looks bad ass

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Wow.  I just wish it wasn't an MMO.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 12:31 AM »
I'm actually tempted to play TOR...  The trailers are really sucking me in, all the news tidbits...  The era it's set in as well.  It's really just a game ripe with possibilities for greatness.  I've never played an MMORPG, but I think they can be fun from what I've watched of the boy's playing WoW, and I think a ground-up SW game may even have more potential since they can learn from WoW's mistakes.  The era's a great one too, for gaming, since you're not hampered by the constraints of the OT which is a lot of what Galaxies ran into.

And that Republic Trooper?  I wish there were figures for this game...  That guy's f'n badass!  Trying to knife a sith lord while he's zapping the crap out of you?  Come on!  That guy would make an insanely cool figure.  Hell, everything in every trailer and the online comic would make great figures.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 12:14 PM »
when this launches I would say it is an easy bet / easy money Hasbro will be making figures.

this game is going to be huge.  I am so confident this game is gonna rock I bought stock in EA a few months back.  no joke.  An mmorpp + SW + Bioware = instant success in my book.  I havent seen a Bioware product I haven't liked yet - and this screams awesome.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 08:22 AM »
I think this game will do well, but I seriously think they should have worked out a way to get this game running on the XBox 360. And if a keyboard and mouse is an issue, work with Microsoft and one of their partners to finally develop a "official" wireless keyboard and mouse for the XBox 360. Once that's available there should really be no issues.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 05:42 PM »
I think this game will do well, but I seriously think they should have worked out a way to get this game running on the XBox 360. And if a keyboard and mouse is an issue, work with Microsoft and one of their partners to finally develop a "official" wireless keyboard and mouse for the XBox 360. Once that's available there should really be no issues.

I am asking because I don't know - but I would think there would be issues with a game of this magnitude working on a system.  Wouldn't the constant updates mmoprg's require be an issue on a console system?

That might not be the right reason why it doesn't go console - but I guess we a similar question that should/could be asked is why hasn't a game like WoW gone to consoles?

edit:  found an article regarding WoW on consoles:  http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/703047/blizzard-thinks-about-a-console-world-of-warcraft-all-the-time-prospects-dim.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:47 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 07:07 PM »
That's part of it...  MMORPG's, to stay relevant, update fairly constantly without having to reboot the entire shebang...  That's much harder to accomplish on an XBox I think, than on a PC.  The keyboard/mouse thing is another issue, though I don't know how hard it'd be to make that work on an X-Box or not?   ???  I think they may garner more interest via consoles, but at the same time the current format seems to garner plenty of interest and revenue on its own...  May even be cheaper, I don't know.  *shrugs* 

There's something about the constant need to play that may impact that as well...  MMORPG's take time.  X-Box's don't "go with you", but I know lots of folks who take their laptops with them just to do their routine stuff for their characters on WoW, even taking it on vacation with them.  The Consoles cannot do that easily of course.