Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 51837 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2011, 09:21 AM »
btw, Bioware has lifted the NDA on this game so speak freely!

I played pretty decent amount this 2nd round of BETA that I was in.  I don't recall during the first BETA choosing the server I played on but perhaps I did.  I didn't realize it until the weekend was over that I probably could have hunt down my lvl 17 Sith Marauder to continue playing, but I would have had to search through a VERY long list of servers.  So long and short I was not that sad that I missed out him - though seeing new content on would have been nice (he had a spaceship for travel which I gained at lvl 17 and I was on the third planet).

So I re-rolled a Bounty Hunter.  Lvls 1-8 I didnt know where the skills trainer was so I just kept on plugging away with the few skills I had - and it was still easy.  When I finally found the skills trader (which I may have missed because my son and his friend were distracting me during the early lvls) I had a bunch of skills to train - and then I started ripping NPCs up.  At lvl 10 I believe it was I picked my specialization and I went with the damage class bounty hunter (not the tank) and gained some more new skills and started lvling up my tree.  Again more ownage.

I am not the best pvper in the world but it is the only type of server I will play on - thats the point of the game right?  While I didnt experience any real world pvp I did do some arenas at lvl 14-15 and I was able to do some ownage when I was running around with a decently organized group - sometimes I got around 30 or so kills in a round.  One downside to pvping was the queue times were kinda long - but this may have been an issue because it was just BETA and it will be better once the game goes live.

I also really like the companion feature.  My Bounty Hunter companion was a chick named Mako.  I really like how you can send her on missions to lvl up your trade skills - she would also come back with rare mods for my armor and weapons from time to time.  I even got a purple "ultra rare"? item mod one time.  Another nice thing is you can send them to town to sell all of your vendor fodder.

So I enjoyed my Bounty Hunter more than my Marauder.  The story line to both was great but I think the Bounty Hunter might match my play style more.

any questions?  ask away

ps - I heard Imperial Agents are really fun.  I might have to give them a whirl if I end up purchasing the game.  Right now I have a lot of time/money constraints and those constraints are not very MMO friendly.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:24 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2011, 02:10 AM »
So...  what's the verdict? :)

I've not really gotten into this because, well, the kids are getting it and I figure they'll just let me make a character and goof around with it to see if I want to go full bore into this.

What's the deal though?  Where are you guys at with this?  How many of you are just coming up for air right now for the first time?  Oh that's right, it's only 2 hours in, and that's just not nearly enough time for everyone's eyes to be completely bloodshot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2011, 02:28 PM »
I got my Collector's Edition in the mail on Monday, had to do stuff for work last night otherwise I would have installed the game and jumped on when they came back on after 1AM.

I'm hoping to get into it, even if just for an hour tonight...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Is that the big one, Pete?  WIth the Malgus bust?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2011, 02:56 AM »
Right now,
I am a level 26 Sith Warrior Marauder on the PVP server Veela.

So far, This game is amazing. the story, the atmosphere of it all, is Star Wars. It is a blast to play and the Collectors edition rocks, the Malgus Statue by Gentle Giant is outstanding. The book that came with the Collectors edition is awesome too, gives a background to the timeframe we are in, so for people who are jumping in, you get a nice little crash course.

This looks to be a solid property to get some awesome toys from too.

Jim
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2011, 09:17 AM »
I haven't picked this up yet, not sure I have the time for this in my life right now, but man am I itching for it....

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2012, 01:19 AM »
I made a character on the kid's computer and played for a little bit...  Fun, but I'm like you smash in that I don't know that I have the time and I certainly don't have the desire for another bill, haha.  It's $15 a month, but out of all the other subscriptions I have for things like Xbox Live, Sirius, the rags I read, and other stuff...  eh.

I'd kinda dig trying it out on my laptop too, to see if it'll work smoothly on my machine.  It's a little choppy on the kid's laptop.  If it ran like that on mine I'd be much less inclined to get into it now, and instead wait till I get a new desktop that is built more for gaming.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2012, 03:00 PM »
So your kid has a subscription?  Just kick him off and take over!  lol

or is there a free trial I am missing?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Between the two of them's list of characters I can't do that.  They're on way too much, haha.  I'd be adding a 3rd to the rotation of needing to use their computer.

My laptop's newer so I hope it runs well on mine, if I do decide to jump into the fun.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 1, 2012, 02:21 PM »
I guess it was $30 on amazon for some time yesterday

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 9, 2012, 09:22 AM »
I just got a 60% off code from Origin to use on buying a game.....   so tempted.  I might bite here....

meh didn't read the fine print on the coupon, I was about to do it and the coupon says it excludes this game.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:29 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2012, 06:07 PM »
Caved and picked up the game today at Target while it was on sale. Installing now... hope I don't get sucked in... :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2012, 06:31 PM »
have you played many MMORPG's before?

ps - per The Old Republics facebook page there is a free trial this weekend.

http://www.swtor.com/weekendpass

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Smash, you rock.  I'm totally trying it this weekend and seeing how it runs on my laptop.  If it's crummy/laggy I'll pass till I have a new desktop built.

Even better, I just saw I got an email for a week long trial run of it, so I guess if you had an existing account you get a free week to try it out.  Glad I'd signed up for an account early.  :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:47 PM by Jesse James »