Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 51830 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2012, 09:45 AM »
I ended up dropping my subscription a few weeks ago. Hadn't played since the beginning of the summer and news about everything going free was basically my excuse to stop paying. The game (and MMORPGs in general) just wasn't for me anyway.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Razer has a Star Wars: The Old Republic skinned notebook.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/18/razer-gives-away-custom-star-wars-themed-blade/
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2012, 11:53 AM »
anyone currently playing this?  I have been on and off for just about a month now.  When I started I was surprised to find one of my characters I made during BETA staying alive and well on my account - it was a rebel smuggler.  Anyway, something just wasnt fun about playing him so I made one of each of the other characters.

I have been playing an Assaj Ventress look alike sith witch type player and I love playing as this type of character.  I am spec'd for max dmg but often play the role of the healer for grouping.  I am currently lvl 31 I believe and I should be leaving Tatooine for Alderaan pretty soon.

Anyway, I am having fun with it for the time being.  I don't know how long term I will be a subscriber - probably until I ding 50 at least I am thinking.

oh and PS - Bioware announced a new, pay for expansion coming "Spring 2013":  http://www.swtor.com/rothc?intcmp=sor_bwa-mkt-t-us-hp-013

preorder available now  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I have a character, but haven't been in since my cat passed away.  Just didn't have the energy to devote to it since then for some reason.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 3, 2013, 04:58 PM »
I am now 42 and chillin on Hoth  ;D

Actually I think I am done on Hoth now and about to jump to light-speed to my next planet.

Still not in a guild, and I still haven't ran ANY flashpoints!  I regret the no Flashpoints part, but it is kinda easy to do since there are SOOOOOO many quests to keep you moving from planet to planet with no pointless grinding in between.  Plus I have been in a few groups with terrible players, thus discouraging me to actively look even more. 

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2013, 08:26 PM »
annnndddddd.......    DING 50!

Now I have to try and figure out end game gearing and raiding...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2013, 02:00 AM »
Congrats.  I really REALLY need to get off my ass and try getting back to my character.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 6, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I finished the HK-51 companion quest on Monday and purchased him to use as a Legacy unlock for my lvl 15 Vanguard Trooper.  Supposedly HK-51 makes leveling easy-peasy.

I logged in briefly yesterday to buy HK gear from the trade network (he comes equipped with lvl 50 gear, but unfortunately he cannot use it until he hits lvl 50!   :(.  Perhaps tonight or tomorrow I will be able to give him a trial run.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2013, 10:32 AM »
and I think I am done with this game.  Just too much of the same thing over and over again.  I think what really put the nail in the coffin for me was end game gearing though.  It is way too difficult and confusing and is far too much of a grind.

I enjoyed end game gearing when it was like it was back when I played WoW - run this dungeon raid, kill this boss, pray something you wanted dropped, and cross your fingers that you would win the roll if someone else wanted it.

In SWTOR you have to raid dungeon after dungeon after dungeon, earn tokens for said item, save up tokens to buy the item, buy the item, strip the item of all of its mods, and then use the mods to put in a different set of armor.   I guess that is good for people that want insane amounts of customization for their character.  In the words of Sweet Brown "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That"...  or at least I don't. 

To some people that might be ok, maybe at the end of the day and considering a spell of bad luck, maybe it takes equally long gearing yourself under both models.  But using WoW as an example, I think it is far more exciting obtaining gear that way rather grind grind grind.............

I dont think I will be back for the expansion either - I dont see why it wont be more of the same.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:46 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2013, 12:38 AM »
I'm kind of curious to play the free version but I have a question.  Can I finish the Revan storyline if I play the free version or would I have to purchase the game and a subscription?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2013, 09:20 AM »
you can do anything you want I believe in that area.  Basically, from what I understand you can level all the way up to 50.  Free to Play, from what I understand just slows a lot of things down (leveling takes longer, etc).  There might also be a Flash Point limit - and I bring that up because the Revan story line stuff does take you in to some flash points end game.

I don't think you will be able to do the end game HK companion quest without plunking down money.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I've always been curious about the game since I liked KOTOR and KOTOR II so much, but I don't like to play MMORPGs partly for the monthly fee after I purchase a game at full price, partly because I prefer more FPS type multiplayer....and probably if I started playing I'd end up getting divorced and having to find a new place to live!   ;D 
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: April 1, 2013, 10:55 PM »
I think the questing and stuff is fun, but I think the price is a bit high on them per month...  I like the idea of the ever-growing game and all, but for me I don't get giggles out of all the dueling other players and things.  For me it's all story and things, and so there's 50% of the game I enjoy with another 50% kind of just being ignored.  Makes that subscription even tougher to choke down.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2015, 05:53 PM »
There seems to be an expansion in the works for STAR WARS - THE OLD REPUBLIC.  It's called Knights of the Fallen Empire.  Check out THE CINEMATIC TRAILER, "SACRIFICE"
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback