Author Topic: Preordering....  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Preordering....
« on: June 30, 2003, 12:59 PM »
With us finally seeing some pics of more new stuff to come this year, it got me to thinking...those of you who preorder, do you just go ahead and preorder everything now, or do you "wait and see" if things will show up?  I still haven't seen anything new around here since December of 2002, and I know many others have had the same troubles, and I have preordered Hoth Han, Mynock Chewie, Throne Room Luke & Vader, the Youngling Packs, and the Snowtrooper from Kebco (as well as the Han/Yoda/Boba Unleashed wave and the upcoming 6" Yoda).  Anyways, I guess I always think "things will start showing up...maybe around the time Clone Wars come out", but I'm really starting to wonder anymore.  Have many of you ordered anything and everything that is up for preorder (up to the new Emperor, the Nightclub figures, and the Screen Scenes), or are you "waiting it out" to some extent?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Preordering....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 01:25 PM »
WEll, I may not be the best to respond since I live in a Star Wars wasteland (Canada) but I've gone pretty much exclusively to online preordering.  

I prefer to wait until I at least see pictures before ordering.  Some things are no brainers, Vader, Snowtroopers, clonetroopers, etc.  The last new things I saw were the first Saga Maul and Anakin Tatooine Ambush or whatever he's called.  One new case showed up at Walmart in March.  12 figures.  That was it prior to Djas Puhr and Palpatine showing up at another store (Zellers) just prior to Christmas.  I don't even know how far (i.e. how many) figures behind we are anymore.  30?  

I'm hoping stuff shows up again for the "winter" retail season but I'm unwilling to take that chance.  I played catch up on POTF2, Commtech, Episode I, POTJ and now Saga.  If stuff shows up, great, if not, at least I won't be able to cry over it.  Also, figures in Canada tend to be a fair bit pricier after tax, running around $9.50-$11.  With the exchange rate being much better lately, even with shipping and possibly duty/taxes at the border, I end up pretty much the same.  Though I really should recalculate with the new exchange rate.  I might actually be saving money ordering from the US. :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 01:31 PM »
Well, I'm part of the "One of Every Figure Club" at Kebco Toys, and everything there is pre-order.  I'm basically going to be getting everything that comes out, and if there's something I really don't want I can email them to take it off the "want" list.  It's really the ONLY way to get new figures these days.
dustrho

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 03:53 PM »
I preorder everything now.  I'm not willing to take a chance at retail until things clear up.  Around here it's a waste land for SW.  I get most of my stuff from Newforce.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2003, 12:08 AM »
Yep, I'm with you Spuffy, I preorder mostly from newforce these days.  Retail sucks so bad now that I never rely on it unless it is the absolutely only way to get something.  

I still shop retail of course, and love toy runs still, but the success stories are few and far between these days.  Just a few extras here and there for army-building and customizing.

:P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2003, 02:58 AM »
I have never pre-ordered figures thus far. The way its going, I may have too!  :'(

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: July 1, 2003, 04:50 AM »
I still love the toy run, too.  And with all the great stuff that's happening in action figures these days, the aisles have never looked better.  I do wish there were more SW stuff out there, though...

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 1, 2003, 04:46 PM »
I usually preorder when the items are up for preorder.  If I don't have money then I wait to see them in a retail store.  

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #8 on: July 2, 2003, 12:06 PM »
I usually wait to see what hits in my area. Indy is always pretty good with the new stuff showing up. I have already found the first series of Clone Wars packs (Clones, Droids, Destroyer Launcher), GunShip, and today I picked up the new Jedi Luke, Darth Vader, and Snowtrooper. I passed on the repacked C-3P0 and Jango Fett since I alrady have them from before.
But if I usually do not find a certain wave of figures within two months I will buy it off of the internet. So far I only had to do this once or twice in teh past few years.

For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com