Author Topic: Would you buy SW 3 3/4 action figures from Sideshow?  (Read 4278 times)

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
Would you buy SW 3 3/4 action figures from Sideshow?
« on: November 9, 2008, 06:18 PM »
Hello comunity, I thought in the possibility for Sideshow to make the conversion from 12 inches to 3 3/4 scale in action figures. I would buy them if they make em someday. For example, we always wanted a stormie with a highly detailed armor, this could be achieved by following the scale and the proportions.

This could be done, because Gentle Giant did the same with the minibust line to the bust up line, only changing clay for plastic.

Sideshow has talented sculptors, and if in that scale, they canīt recreate the whole cloths, they could build the action figures like Hasbro does. Sideshow must focus on capes and robes for these smaller action figures.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: Would you buy SW 3 3/4 action figures from Sideshow?
« Reply #1 on: November 9, 2008, 11:40 PM »
I don't think the differences at this scale between what Hasbro does and what Sideshow could do would be great enough to justify the undoubtedly higher price.  At 12" there is a considerable difference, but I think Hasbro is generally doing a fantastic job at this scale.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2008, 11:46 PM »
The only way I'd buy them would be if Hasbro wasn't making them any more and Sideshow wanted to keep the scale the same, and the prices reasonable.

Keep in mind, Hasbro has the license until 2018.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:08 AM »
Hasbro holds the rights for SW toys until 2018 and the 3 3/4 figs are their bread and butter so I highly doubt that they'd give that up beyond the larger 12" figures.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:11 AM »
Probably. Though, I have to say, with the outstanding work that Hasbro is doing in recent years, I think it'll be hard for Sideshow to out do the quality.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Like others, I'd probably buy if Hasbro was done with the line or something - but also like others have said, I think Hasbro's doing a pretty good job for the most part on the basic line these days.  Sure, there can always be complaints about character selection, pricing, and distribution (and repacks), but the figures themselves are pretty well done for the most part.  It seems like we're seeing less and less of "this figure is horrible" when a new wave comes out, unless its a repack/repaint wave maybe.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:41 AM »
I am generally pretty satisfied with the quality we've been getting at this price point, especially in the last couple years. So I probably wouldn't be able to justify figures at Hasbro's scale and Sideshow's price point.

Now if Sideshow were to continue the Indy line, I'd be all over those. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57 AM »
No, because they'd likely be priced to high.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:33 AM »
No way. They would be too expensive with not enough detail in return. The 12" dolls are over the limit right now.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 03:48 PM »
No way for me too. I dont need to start a whole collection all over again.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 04:15 PM »
No way for me too. I dont need to start a whole collection all over again.

That is my sentiment entirely.

Not to mention the cost, no room for it, availability....

Simply put, no way, no how, no Sideshow action figures.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 07:31 PM »
I honestly do not know how Sideshow could improve on the 3-3/4" figure platform.  Hasbro has made some great strides forward with the line over the past 5 years.  And they have continued with innovations on a steady basis over time. 

Certainly Sideshow made some great strides forward with the 12" line, but that scale gives you many more options to work with.  The smaller in scale you go, the more limited your construction options will become. 

Personally I think this is a non-starter unless Hasbro decides to throw in the towel on the 3-3/4" figure line.  And I don't see it as likely at all since the basic figure line really is the flagship of Star Wars toy licensing.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 10:00 PM »
No, because they'd likely be priced to high.

LOL - my thoughts exactly.  $29.99 per 4" action figure!

No thanks.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 11:53 PM »
Absolutely not.

Although, if that did happen, I wouldn't make the same mistake I did with the 12" line. I would just stop with the end of the Hasbro line.

I regret ever getting into the 12" line that Sideshow offers. Too many remakes of the same figures Hasbro did and since I don't open my figures up, I really don't care of 1 million individual parts go into the binoculars of the Tatooine Luke - just cast a solid chunk of black plastic and give it some paint apps. The Sideshow 12" line soured me on the entire scale, I wish I could dump my entire 12" collection (Sideshow and Hasbro) now due to the fact that I got so burned out on the rapid-fire $70 dolls coming out of Sideshow.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Precisely-- if $8 is "too much" it's pretty unlikely that whatever any direct-to-consumer company doing runs of 10k or less would come across as a good deal.  I don't think there's any 3 3/4-inch figure that would honestly, truly benefit from a nearly unlimited budget.  (Sure, Darth Vader could use better cloth, but cost vs. what I'd get would likely never be worth it.)

Hasbro makes a pretty decent figure for $8.  (Sure, a $10-$11 Transformer is more impressive but it doesn't have a lightsaber.)  Besides, after looking at some of the Sideshow 1:6 items, some are wonderful, and others have faces that... did not excite and amaze.

For me, I look for the Hasbro logo.  Unless someone got into the business of super-cheap rotocast plastic Hoth Wampa caves, I can't imagine expanding into any new territory for Star Wars at this point.  Hasbro's toys (and Dark Horse's comics, and Topps when Galaxy Series #4 hits) are about all I can manage given the incredible size of Hasbro's line.

I guess a better questions might be is there any reason to do a higher-end figure?  We've seen some experiments from Hasbro over the years, like the $15 500th Vader (which went on to be a $7 figure), the Titanium Series line (...), and a few individually packaged exclusives.   The only reason I could see to do a higher-cost (or higher-end, lower-run) figure is because the character was SO obscure that even Hasbro viewed it as risky.  And after seeing BoShek, Breha Organa, and even Willrow Hood, I don't think there is a figure Hasbro won't consider on the basis of obscurity/collector-ness.

The best analogy I could see here is Gentle Giant's Bust-Ups line, which were largely 3 3/4-inch figures minus the legs and articulation.  Some were as good or better than Hasbro figures, and others weren't so much.  I don't think the Stormtroopers were all that hot, but Gentle Giant's Greedo Bust-Up had a good sculpt, as did their Ponda Baba.  But I'm fairly sure Hasbro could probably make figures to that level if they decided they wanted to.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News