Author Topic: Does Hasbro replace broken figures?  (Read 5870 times)

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Does Hasbro replace broken figures?
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:26 AM »
I was turning the leg on one of my Clone Trooper's sideways at the knee and the pin broke.

Do you think Hasbro would replace the figure, or at least send me a new leg?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:42 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Does Hasbro replace broke figures?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:57 AM »
New leg, no...  You could try your luck on a new figure, however Hasbro usually reserves the right to send something, "Of equal value" to you, meaning you could get basically any random figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:01 AM »
That sucks, I may just use it as injured clone that got his bottom leg blown off.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:33 AM »
I actually have 2 figures right now where the joint is actually molded togother. is that what happened to your clone Rune?

though as much as I want to try and get hasbro to send me a new one I already have an extra of the bale and the McSnow was to hard to track down to risk not getting back :-\
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:31 AM »
New leg, no...  You could try your luck on a new figure, however Hasbro usually reserves the right to send something, "Of equal value" to you, meaning you could get basically any random figure.

I've actually only gone the route of mailing the item back to Hasbro for a replacement once, and it was a huge mistake.  I had picked up the 2006 TSC Vader TIE only to find that the single label was missing.  Hasbro (who in the past had sent me a full sticker sheet for my ARC-170 in 2005) refused to send me a single label and instead sent the prepaid mailing label to return it to them for a replacement item.  They used the "equal value" caveat, and sure enough, they used it, when two months later I received a 2005 ROTS Obi-Wan JSF on my door.  I was able to take it back to Target (where I had gotten the Vader TIE) using the Vader TIE receipt and exchange it for the actual Vader TIE.

It's strange, because back in the Kenner POTF2 days, Hasbro/Kenner was really good about sending replacement parts and labels out.  Lately, though, I haven't heard of anyone actually getting the item in question when they've sent it back.  More often than not, Hasbro just sends old stock of "equal value" to the item you were trying to get fixed in the first place.

Hence why I didn't even consider biting when they tried to pull the trick on me with the AT-TE and its replacement legs. 

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:42 AM »
Although I have heard the stories of people getting back random figures, the one time I've sent away for a replacement (in 2005) I got the same one back and was very pleased. So I'm sure they try to send back the same character, and it just all depends on availability. But that's just my experience in this area, I probably just got lucky.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Does Hasbro replace broken figures?
« Reply #6 on: December 1, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Just take it back to the store you bought it from if it's a brick and mortar store. Most places will accept it back. If you don't have a receipt, WM may take it back anyway. They do have a policy of only so many returns without receipts though, so be careful with that.

I recently had a Halo fig break on me upon opening it. I took it back to the TRU where I bought it from and had success.

It's not like you're not going  back to those stores again that it's out of the way for you.

Better than taking the risk on shipping it back to Hasbro.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 1, 2008, 02:26 PM »
Just take it back to the store you bought it from if it's a brick and mortar store. Most places will accept it back. If you don't have a receipt, WM may take it back anyway. They do have a policy of only so many returns without receipts though, so be careful with that.

I recently had a Halo fig break on me upon opening it. I took it back to the TRU where I bought it from and had success.

It's not like you're not going  back to those stores again that it's out of the way for you.

Better than taking the risk on shipping it back to Hasbro.

yeah but in my case they are not broken...they just have some joints molded together making it impossible to move. :-\
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 1, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Our VTSC IG-88 broke within 10 seconds of removing him from the package.  Of course, Hasbro accepted the figure and within two months we received a super awesome VTSC Endor Leia!

My five year old was so excited to have an Endor Leia instead of an evil assassin droid who came equipped with a rifle, blaster and knife!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 3, 2008, 08:32 PM »
Our VTSC IG-88 broke within 10 seconds of removing him from the package.  Of course, Hasbro accepted the figure and within two months we received a super awesome VTSC Endor Leia!

My five year old was so excited to have an Endor Leia instead of an evil assassin droid who came equipped with a rifle, blaster and knife!

That's precisely the reason I made TRU take back one of the IG-86 droids I picked up yesterday, that proceeded to have the leg snap off instead of rotate as the articulation was supposed to.

I think your best bet when dealing with a figure that breaks shortly after being freed from the plastic prison is to just take it back to the store. If all you're doing is "testing" the operation of each articulation joint, I've never had any store clerk deny the return.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 3, 2008, 11:02 PM »
I think if it's something you recently bought, you should take it back to the retailer and complain that it broke.  That's less hassle and they'll probably take care of you to make sure you keep shopping at that store.  If it's something you've had for a while and it broke, you can try Hasbro, but if it's been played with and broke, I don't see that as their fault.  This stuff just isn't as durable as our vintage figs.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 4, 2008, 09:32 AM »
I would have loved to take him back to the store but they were on clearance and I snagged the last one.  Hasbro did acknowledge that the Leia figure was not a 'fair' substitute for IG-88 and I reluctantly settled for a Legends clone trooper.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 7, 2008, 11:28 PM »
I would have loved to take him back to the store but they were on clearance and I snagged the last one.  Hasbro did acknowledge that the Leia figure was not a 'fair' substitute for IG-88 and I reluctantly settled for a Legends clone trooper.

Wait, so you got a free Leia and a free Clone Trooper for something you bought on clearance?
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 9, 2008, 12:42 PM »
No, I got a Legends clone trooper for a VTSC IG-88 (I sent the Leia back).  The price I paid for the IG-88 is irrelevant - either way you slice it, it was a defective figure.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 9, 2008, 01:40 PM »
No, I got a Legends clone trooper for a VTSC IG-88 (I sent the Leia back).  The price I paid for the IG-88 is irrelevant - either way you slice it, it was a defective figure.

My post was questioning what sort of value or deal you got from this circumstance.  The fact that you got the figure on clearance is relevant, as swapping a full price $10-12 IG-88 for a $6-7 Clone Trooper would still not be an acceptable deal in my opinion.