Author Topic: Do You "Collect 'Em All"?  (Read 5977 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Do You "Collect 'Em All"?
« on: December 3, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I remember the phrase from a number of toylines as a kid (and still today), urging us to "collect them all" - which was much easier in the days of a SW toyline having 85-ish figures total (instead of in one year, as these days).  Anyways, do you find yourself buying more and more and being closer to "completist".  I'm someone that didn't care at all about that, and rarely had a complete line in previous years.  When I started with POTF2 (and also Episode I), I picked up the "main characters" and branched out from there.  Then, collecting got a little more serious and I started buying a bit more - having most of the POTJ line (still skipping a few in there though).  I skipped some of the action feature/duplicate figures from the SAGA line(s), and even skipped some in the ROTS line.  I still bought more than I skipped, but not all of them.  Now, with this advent of the coin and especially build-a-droid pack ins, I find myself buying figures that I would have skipped in the past.  Have the pack-ins, or just your collecting habits, caused you to become a "completist"?  Again, if it was the days of having 25 to 40 figures in a year, it wouldn't be a big deal - but these days it does make for a lot to keep up with (especially now, with multiple lines).

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Do You "Collect 'Em All"?
« Reply #1 on: December 3, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Collect em all?  I only remember that from Pokemon.  I was a completist thus far with Star Wars (figs, boxed sets, vehicles, tites, GH, etc) but all of the variants in the TAC Legends line broke me so I've been skipping pieces here and there with the exception of 1 of each carded figure.  I'm planning hoping on dropping my SW purchases by more than half by next year sometime.  This has become a second job for me and I just don't enjoy it anymore, plus I have way more crap than I would have ever dreamed of back in 01 when I started this silly game. 

Sick of it all.....well most of it that is.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Collect em all?  I only remember that from Pokemon. 

Wasn't that "gotta catch 'em all"?  :P
« Last Edit: December 3, 2008, 05:06 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I tend to think of completism as a carded collector mentality, since "collecting" is usually acquiring a bunch of things for display.  If we called it, "buy 'em all" then I would consider myself in that category for OT toys.  Unless Hasbro comes up with some dumb-looking action feature for the line, I tend to buy everything OT (multiples of army builders or main characters that will fill several diorama scenes).  So for me, it's not collecting 'em all as much as trying to have a toy representation of every character from the OT!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2008, 09:15 PM »
I used to be a completist in that in the 3.75" scale I would get two of every item that was released. One to get MIB/MOC and one to open.

When the TSC (The Saga Collection) line came out after the ROTS movie line, I reduced my purchasing habits to only get a MOC/MIB item if it was a straight-up re-release (no paint-op differences, no sculpting/mold differences). I did not get one to open. So for example, when they re-released some of the Jedi Starfighters from ROTS, I only bought one of each to keep MIB.

Then when the TAC (30th Anniversary Collection) line came out and they turned around and released the same TSC items only in TAC packaging, that's when I finally broke in terms of vehicles. I only purchased the new vehicles to the TAC line, I did not re-buy vehicles, but for some reason, I wanted to keep my Battlepacks and Evolutions collections "complete" so I re-purchased those items in the new TAC packaging.

When the TLC (The Legacy Collection) & CW (Clone Wars) lines came out, I've taken my next step in not buying re-packaged items - I'm not buying any of the re-packaged vehicles and I'm not buying the re-packaged Evolutions sets, although I did pick up a Fett Evolution set just so I had the version with the symbol on Boba's armor. If I can pick some of the Evolutions re-pack sets on sale or clearance (in good shape) I will reverse this decision. Same thing with the Battle Packs since so far there appears to only be three.

With individually carded figures, starting with the TSC "Greatest Hits" figures, I only have been getting one of each figure to keep MOC. I followed through with that in the TAC Legends line and now with the TLC Saga Legends line. I get a few of those Legends releases to open (like the Pit Droids from TAC) or the army builders I wanted to get more of for my squads, but it isn't important to me to get one of each Legends/Greatest Hits figure to open.

With the regular carded figures, that are part of the line's major run (i.e. the 60 TAC figures with coins or so far the 27 BAD figures) I still get two of each.

For me, this is close enough to "collecting them all". Sure it means my MIB/MIP/MOC collection for each packaging style is not "complete" since I don't have EVERY item that was released in that packaging style, but I just don't have enough space or $$$ to justify getting something like the Jedi Evolutions set or the Darth Vader TIE to have in a new box design just so I can thump my chest and proclaim "My TLC Collection is Complete!" - it just doesn't mean that much to me anymore I guess. (not that bragging about what I have ever really did)

I'm actually at a huge cross-roads with the TLC K-Mart Tins - $100 for three tins that I already have with 12 figures I already have, solely to pick them up for the packaging variation seems really silly. But then again, I picked up the Legend of the Saga set which is on sale this week for $17.99. It's at times like this, I wish Hasbro would slow down with stuff, K-Mart really didn't need another round of Tins, they just didn't. So far I've only seen one, so I'm not sure if they really are selling or if they only put out that one and brought the others to the back 'cause the shelf space was already stuffed with the exclusive K-Mart TAC Tins. The biggest decision maker for the tins will be if I can walk into a K-Mart and pick up all three in mint condition with one purchase. So I'm going to check out one more K-Mart and if they have them great. If not. Oh well.

Sorry for the rambling response, this has been something that has been on my mind for quite some time...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2008, 10:27 PM »
But then again, I picked up the Legend of the Saga set which is on sale this week for $17.99.

A fine example as to why I'm done collecting EVERYTHING - plus that set is pure suck.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 3, 2008, 10:58 PM »
I gave up getting "everything" way back when the POTC figures launched.  Mostly repacks of stuff that had just come out a year before was an obvious ploy to get more money out of completists and I'm glad I decided to walk way way back then.  I have bought some of the Legends repacks, but mainly just stick to the "new" stuff these days.  Of course, I buy most of the carded figs 1x carded and 1x loose, so I probably end up spending way more than anyone who buys 1x of everything.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 3, 2008, 11:17 PM »
I used to from Vintage and modern 1996 through Episode 1.  At somepoint I stopped during Attack of the Clones.  I got a more expensive apartment at that time and that pretty much ended the completist in me.  Now with a home, wife, kid, and possibly another child on the way it's about to hit an all time low for my collecting.  Which kind of sucks.  I would rather be more on the completist side but it's about impossible with all the stuff they release nowadays plus all the Sideshow stuff.  I find myself skipping figures in droves now and concentrate more on Sideshow offerings.  I will get the ANH wave for sure though.  A few Clone Wars figures every now and then like Cody, Rex, Asajj, Ahsoka.  I would love to get all the clonetroopers but it won't happen.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2008, 08:00 AM »
I'm actually at a huge cross-roads with the TLC K-Mart Tins - $100 for three tins that I already have with 12 figures I already have, solely to pick them up for the packaging variation seems really silly. But then again, I picked up the Legend of the Saga set which is on sale this week for $17.99. It's at times like this, I wish Hasbro would slow down with stuff, K-Mart really didn't need another round of Tins, they just didn't. So far I've only seen one, so I'm not sure if they really are selling or if they only put out that one and brought the others to the back 'cause the shelf space was already stuffed with the exclusive K-Mart TAC Tins. The biggest decision maker for the tins will be if I can walk into a K-Mart and pick up all three in mint condition with one purchase. So I'm going to check out one more K-Mart and if they have them great. If not. Oh well.

Update: So shortly after writing this, I checked out one more K-Mart and sure enough they had a complete set of the three new Legacy Collection Tin sets all MIB/MIP so I picked them up. I wrote one of my best friends shortly after doing it and basically told him that I needed to see a shrink.  :-\

plus that set is pure suck.

Yes, yes it is. Thanks for noticing.

For me in my "sick" head, I see items like the Legend of the Saga as being a must-have for the MIB/MIP collection simply because so many collectors ARE going to pass on it. There is not a shred of proof to that hair-brained theory, it's just what my collecting OCD is telling me and therefore, I sought one out yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2008, 08:07 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 4, 2008, 09:13 AM »
Kind of depends on the definition of "all". At first it was every carded variant. Couldn't quite accomplish that (with Col#1 Boushh and transition tray Ben) so I stopped doing that after E1. Then was - just one of everything carded. With Saga legends and the prospect of having 40 versions of Cantina Han, I stopped doing that this year. I still make it a point to collect one of every 3 3/4" figure and accessory, albeit loose. However, the CW sub-line I never even touched. So yeah, I "collect 'em all," it's just that my definition of all might differ from another's.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 6, 2008, 12:15 AM »
I used to "buy 'em all" back in 1995 when POTF2 started, which was a great time to collect.  Boy, was it fun.  Steroid Han, Vader & Luke figures were on the pegs with monkey face Leia and excitement filled the air.  Good times.   
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 6, 2008, 09:53 AM »
I used to "buy 'em all" back in 1995 when POTF2 started, which was a great time to collect.  Boy, was it fun.  Steroid Han, Vader & Luke figures were on the pegs with monkey face Leia and excitement filled the air.  Good times.   

Yeah, we all did stupid things in our youth.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 04:40 PM »
I only collect OT, and not all figures, but I wish I would have the plupart.

I donīt collect from eps I, ii, iii, so I hope Hasbro focuses on OT for 2009.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 03:00 PM »
I think I pretty much have them all.  I need 4 more vintage figures, a 181st TIE pilot, a Toy Fair Vader, and I'm missing two kit-bash figures that will be easy to check off the list when I get around to them.

I don't collect the vintage sub-lines and I'm not buying the Clone Wars line.

Other than that, I'm hunting down some paint variations, but I think I basically have every figure they've made.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 02:00 AM »
No, I don't. The last time I collected them all was 1998, when Kenner just came out with so much crap I couldn't possibly be interested in all of it.

I have most of the basic figures, lacking only a few from the ROTS line and passing on all repaints that I don't care for. These days, with Battle Packs and exclusives all featuring repaints, I can't spend money on the whole box just for one or two pieces I might want. For instance, the Hoth BP with the Probe Droid. I'd totally spend $10 on that droid alone, but put it in a box with other figures I don't want for $20, I don't care to own it. Another instance is the Evolutions pilots sets. I want the red B-Wing Pilot. But I won't buy the set because it has two other figures I would never, ever want. I'd gladly spend $7 for the single carded CW Obi-Wan instead of the $20 Target BP with Clones I don't want.

It works for me, and keeps the crap quotient down. I have enough stuff as it is without having two Hoth Hans with their hoods up that happen to have different colored coats. That's pushing it for me.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk