Jeff mentioned these still showing up for about $5 less than WM's packs, per pack, so that right there is one reason I'd disagree with comparing these to the WM packs. The second reason is most of the sets include one army builder, at least. Mace/Jango is about the only set I'm not thrilled with.
Getting SA Colman Trebor, two "new" Human Jedi (which are lacking in the line overall), a neat "new" Kit Fisto with a better paintjob it seems, two new battledroids which (hopefully) should be superior sculpts/designs... I'm liking all that. Plus Yoda's cloak is a nice improvement for that figure, over his previous softgoods version.
I like the Darktrooper, don't get me wrong. One of my all-time favorite games. And if the WM sets had been $9 to $12, I'd love them a lot more. But they're all basically one droid I want packed with one figure I either don't want, or am not real interested in.
From a collection standpoint, the Target sets give me figures I actually want to keep almost completely... The WM sets are about 60% I want to keep, the other 40% are custom fodder at best. Plus they're $5 more per set or so.