Author Topic: Target Geonosis Arena 2-Packs  (Read 63341 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Target Geonosis Arena 2-Packs
« Reply #105 on: August 6, 2009, 04:13 PM »
Jeff mentioned these still showing up for about $5 less than WM's packs, per pack, so that right there is one reason I'd disagree with comparing these to the WM packs.  The second reason is most of the sets include one army builder, at least.  Mace/Jango is about the only set I'm not thrilled with.

Getting SA Colman Trebor, two "new" Human Jedi (which are lacking in the line overall), a neat "new" Kit Fisto with a better paintjob it seems, two new battledroids which (hopefully) should be superior sculpts/designs...  I'm liking all that.  Plus Yoda's cloak is a nice improvement for that figure, over his previous softgoods version.

I like the Darktrooper, don't get me wrong.  One of my all-time favorite games.  And if the WM sets had been $9 to $12, I'd love them a lot more.  But they're all basically one droid I want packed with one figure I either don't want, or am not real interested in.

From a collection standpoint, the Target sets give me figures I actually want to keep almost completely...  The WM sets are about 60% I want to keep, the other 40% are custom fodder at best.  Plus they're $5 more per set or so.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 7, 2009, 10:41 AM »
I beg to differ Mr. Anton.

Yeah, you and Jesse are right. The more I think about it and look at the pictures, yeah they're pretty solid. However, instead of boil and freeze the other arm to hold the gun, I'd probably just cut and glue.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2009, 05:51 PM »
I find it strange how Hasbro would use the same 2007 TAC Mace Windu sculpt twice in the same line: Mace Windu, and Roth del-Masona. Almost like how the 500th Vader figure was used in the TSC twice. I'm also disappointed that Windu's/Masona's bottom tunic is still plastic, it really restricts leg movement. It would be nice if either it's a softer plastic so there's more movement, or if Hasbro had opted for soft goods.

And has anyone noticed that Jango's outfit is still purple? How many more times will it take for Hasbro to get it right? Maybe next release....
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline commandernarra

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2009, 11:42 PM »
Got the figures I wanted off my ebay dealer, don't get to exited over the new battle droid. The arms and legs are now ball jointed, and the head moves more freely than earlier versions, but it is still extremely flimsy, and is unable to hold the blaster with both hands. The POTJ security droid is still hands down the best version. At this point I wouldn't mind all future battle droids to be one piece PVC with no articulation, kind of like those little plastic army men. 2 per pack and were good. :-\

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2009, 09:41 AM »
... At this point I wouldn't mind all future battle droids to be one piece PVC with no articulation, kind of like those little plastic army men. 2 per pack and were good. :-\

Hasbro, please ignore the above comment. Clearly this person was under the influence of medication or other mind altering substances...  ::)
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2009, 11:27 AM »
Got the figures I wanted off my ebay dealer, don't get to exited over the new battle droid. The arms and legs are now ball jointed, and the head moves more freely than earlier versions, but it is still extremely flimsy, and is unable to hold the blaster with both hands.

So basically, it's still not right.  I don't know why they bother, do it right or don't do it at all.

I'll be taking 1 of each of the Joclad Danva, Coleman Trebor, Roth Del-Masona, and Kit Fisto packs, and I'll get to call it a day with these.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:29 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2009, 12:59 PM »
I find it strange how Hasbro would use the same 2007 TAC Mace Windu sculpt twice in the same line: Mace Windu, and Roth del-Masona. Almost like how the 500th Vader figure was used in the TSC twice. I'm also disappointed that Windu's/Masona's bottom tunic is still plastic, it really restricts leg movement. It would be nice if either it's a softer plastic so there's more movement, or if Hasbro had opted for soft goods.

That was my biggest beef too. I was hoping they would have corrected Maces's lower half. All that articulation is wasted.  I used an exacto knife and cut slits so he can sit in his starfighter. I like the lighter coloring of the robes. Overall these sets are 20 times better than the WM Droid Factory sets and cheaper.

The Kit Fisto alone is a huge improvement, he no longer looks like Ronald McDonald like the ROTS one.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline commandernarra

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2009, 02:17 AM »
... At this point I wouldn't mind all future battle droids to be one piece PVC with no articulation, kind of like those little plastic army men. 2 per pack and were good. :-\

Hasbro, please ignore the above comment. Clearly this person was under the influence of medication or other mind altering substances...  ::)
Nope, just realising that the plastic Hasbro uses is just to flimsy for this sculpt, and remember, this will probably be the go-to sculpt for a while.  So I'd rather see Hasbro use either stiffer plastic that can handle the articulation, like they could in the earlier 90's, or not bother with articulation at all and give what I suggested above in preposed positions like the Clone Wars line 3 pqacks. But only when it comes to Battle Droids.   

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2009, 02:39 AM »
Actually, the plastic they use IS PVC...

What I want to know is, do the CW3D Droids topple?  If not, I'm assuming these won't either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2009, 09:53 AM »

What I want to know is, do the CW3D Droids topple?  If not, I'm assuming these won't either.

I think I posted this earlier, but my Clone Wars Droids do NOT topple over. The Super Battle Droid is prone to falling due to the top heavy design, but aside from that even the droids with leg articulation (Commando, IG-88) stand just fine.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2009, 10:26 AM »

If you're only worried about toppling then you'll probably love these.

I'm just miffed that it still can't hold the rifle with 2 hands.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2009, 10:45 AM »

If you're only worried about toppling then you'll probably love these.

The CW Battle Droids can hold the rocket launcher accessory with both hands though.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2009, 01:06 PM »

For my animated Droids I put the blaster in the right hand. To achieve a two-handed look, I slide the thumb of the left hand through the trigger guard. Works for me and it looks like the pose in the cartoon series.

However, I'm disappointed in these new Battle Droids. These movie accurate versions seem to have thicker limbs so there is no excuse as to why Hasbro couldn't do some additional joints. Figures like IG-88 are perfect examples of figures with tiny limbs receiving full articulation.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2009, 02:48 AM »
Have you guys been finding these yet?  I'm just now getting back into the swing of things after the move and the two Targets near me haven't had any sign of them yet.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2009, 05:21 AM »
No.  I would say maybe next month, given the image leaks we posted about on the front page.  Just my personal gut feeling on it.  Perhaps October-ish though.