Author Topic: Goodbye KB Toys  (Read 11513 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Goodbye KB Toys
« on: December 11, 2008, 03:14 PM »
Sounds like they are closing up shop...Linky.

They are filing for bankruptcy and closing all 277 stores that remain.  Our local store closed a year ago, but it is kind of sad to see toy stores go the way of the dodo.  I hope that TRU still does ok, because I think that's kind of a neat thing to a kid (although probably younger now than when we grew up) to see - and I'd like it to be around for our daughter to remember.  I grew up in a small town, and when we went to the "city" and got to visit TRU, it was almost like a vacation.  Anyways, not really surprising to me either.  All the KB Toy stores in our local area were a horrible place to visit usually.  Really crammed, old stuff, usually higher prices, and often a distinct odor.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Goodbye KB Toys
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:19 PM »
Considering the KB nearest me was outside a Boscov's store that had a toy aisle with SW figures for $2 or $3 less...  I can't say I weep for KB.  They did this to themselves by not competing, nor really even making an effort to do so.

I hate the loss of competition, but KB wasn't even trying so were they really ever considered much of an option by anyone?  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:13 PM »
The mall just down the road from our house has a KB and a Kmart, not the best choices for toys really.  (There is a few Walmarts and Targets within about 20 miles so all is not lost.)

Still rather disappointing to see KB going away.  But the points mentioned above, old stock, high prices and a cramped shopping environment make for an unpleasant and often futile shopping experience.  I stopped into KB probably 2 dozen times over this fall, and I think the only time I bought anything was on black friday (I was there at about 2 am on my way to work), and that was to get 40% off a battlepack.  They just don't have newer items in stock, and when they have something, its easily 20% more than other stores.

Sad to see them go, but they did it to themselves, going for higher margin on each item, as opposed to accepting lower margin on higher sales.

Also, why was this practically the only store in the mall that every time you walked you were immediately asked if you needed help?  I get the employees were made to ask this, but come on, let me shop.  If I wander around for a minute, then ask for help, or if I was a 90 year old lady, maybe then, but as soon as I walk in, and when I'm clearly just chasing after my 2 year old?

Still, I'll have to keep an eye on the store down the road and see if I can get in on any liquidation sales (I got some good deals when Ames closed).
I am not the Stig

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Just came from the Ontarios Mills KBtoys where they were having a 40% off selected items. Star Wars was of course not one of those items. They pretty much had only legacy wave 2 & 3 for $9.99 and some really old TAC pegwarmers for $8.99. Nothing recent there and nothing any good.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:21 PM »
Sounds like they are closing up shop...Linky.

They are filing for bankruptcy and closing all 277 stores that remain. 

It is crazy to think that in early 2005, for the launch of RotS, there were almost 1200 KB locations (counting the Toy Works and outlet stores).  Over the last 3 years, they've lost 75% of their stores and are basically about to lose the rest.  Crazy. 

Ah well, I'll just add them to the legend of Child World, Children's Palace, and all the others that have gone the way of the dodo.  It makes me wonder when TRU will finally kick the bucket...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Man Children's Palace had the best ****...  I loved that store.  That and Hills were the bee's knees.  I had no TRU, I had no WM or Target... 

Then Family Toy Whorehouse came around, and man they sucked.  We had WM, Target, and TRU by then for the most part, and FTW just needed shut down before it even got started.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 06:21 PM »
It makes me wonder when TRU will finally kick the bucket...

I try to avoid TRU, but I've had to venture in there a couple of times while Christmas shopping.  We've always had poor customer service there, but sometimes they're the best resource for things we want to get the kids.  I've always known that their prices were high, but I didn't realize just how much higher they were.  I had looked at digital cameras for my son and saw the Clone Wars one at WM for $19.99 and the same one was at TRU for $49.99.   Most other things I looked at were around 30% more expensive at TRU.  It seems like they will just price themselves right out of the market........
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:28 PM »
KB always looked a bit dated once TRU arrived on the scene.  Their prices were always really high to and that never helps with the other retailers like Target, Wal-Mart, and TRU.    However, I did like to go there because it usually meant I could get a harder to find figure there.  People seemed to either skip over the figure because of the price or maybe they just never would go in there?  There was a decent one when I lived in Illinois.  The reason was because they moved out of their original place in the mall to a bigger one when the mall expanded at the time. 

It is going to suck going into a mall now and not have an actual toy store there.  Like I said it was another opportunity to pick up something there if I could not find it elsewhere.  Oh well.  They had a good run at it there for awhile. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 06:32 PM »
It is going to suck going into a mall now and not have an actual toy store there.

I've been without any KB's for about five years or so.  It take a little time to get over the new shoe store or whatever takes up its space, but you'll get over it...in time.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:51 PM »
Thats too bad. I still need their DC Classics exclusives.  :-\
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 09:48 PM »
Aren't indoor malls going away too. They seem to be replaced by outdoor garden walk-type malls with lots of restraunts, walmart and teenage girl-type stores.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55 PM »
The writing has been on the wall for this for some time.  There used to be about 12 or more KayBee stores within a half an hour's drive of me up until a few years ago.  Now there's only 3 or 4.  The chain has gotten decimated because they couldn't compete price-wise with the big box stores.  Add in significant overhead because of their presence in shopping malls.  And the current economic climate is severe enough that a good number of retail chains have already gone under this year.

I still miss places like Child World and Toy & Sports Warehouse too, but they've gone the way of the dodo.  And now KayBee will as well.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Aren't indoor malls going away too. They seem to be replaced by outdoor garden walk-type malls with lots of restraunts, walmart and teenage girl-type stores.

Not in the Northeast.  The weather just isn't conducive to doing that.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 09:58 PM »
I guess in Southern California its different. No one builds indoor malls anymore. It seems all the indoor malls are becoming outdoor strip malls.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 10:25 PM »
Yeah, it's about 50/50 here...  We've had outdoor malls for years, and get some new ones too, but we just got a new indoor mall about 4 or 5 years ago called Pittsburgh Mills that is about the only place nearby to me, actually.  Indoor malls seem to come and go though, with their level of traffic.  Most go down hill as the area around them gets bad though.  That happened to the biggest mall in Pitt area actually, and it's pretty sad.