Author Topic: MLB 2009  (Read 30901 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2009
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59 AM »
 :)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2009, 11:33 AM »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2009, 12:14 PM »

Yes Rob, as you can clearly see from the winners of the last 10 World Series', payroll determines the winner.

You don't know what you're talking about.  CC Sabathia, a free agent signing, faced an Angels lineup with almost all of the stars being free agent signings.

Get a life.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2009, 12:18 PM »
I don't think money buys championships, but I do think it buys a better chance at winning.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2009, 12:31 PM »
The Yankees payroll sure isn't hurting them any, but it is sort of overrated.  Like DR said, if spending was all that counted, the last ten WS would have turned out differently.

The big difference is that this year, the Yankees seemed to have guessed correctly on who they gave the big money too.  Instead of dumping money on junk that never panned out for them (Giambi, Abreu, etc etc) they gave it to guys who actually played well this year (Tex, CC).

Another big factor is that this year's A-Rod (3 straight post-season games with a HR; 8 straight post-season games with an RBI) seems to have dumped his post-season curse... which I find pretty funny.  The same year that he finally owns up to steroids is the same year that he finally plays well consistently in the post season - can you say karma?  :P  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2009, 02:29 PM »
MLB got to be pretty embarrassed with the job the umpires are doing so far in these playoffs. I know human error is a part of it, but it can't be this often in the most important games of the year.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2009, 03:58 PM »
The Yankees payroll sure isn't hurting them any, but it is sort of overrated.  Like DR said, if spending was all that counted, the last ten WS would have turned out differently.

The big difference is that this year, the Yankees seemed to have guessed correctly on who they gave the big money too.  Instead of dumping money on junk that never panned out for them (Giambi, Abreu, etc etc) they gave it to guys who actually played well this year (Tex, CC).

Another big factor is that this year's A-Rod (3 straight post-season games with a HR; 8 straight post-season games with an RBI) seems to have dumped his post-season curse... which I find pretty funny.  The same year that he finally owns up to steroids is the same year that he finally plays well consistently in the post season - can you say karma?  :P  ;)

A-Rod, another massive, massive dollar free agent signing.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Should we check Rob's posts complaining about the Red Sox buying a team the year they broke the curse?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2009, 09:37 PM »
Should we check Rob's posts complaining about the Red Sox buying a team the year they broke the curse?

Relax, I like the Yankees.  My family is from New York... I used to go to their games as a kid.  I'm only half serious on all this buying-a-championship stuff.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2009, 12:41 AM »
Nobody is talking about another HORRIBLE umping call?  That's funny...also went the Yankees way?  At least this one didn't cost the Angels really anything but that double play call was bull****...almost as bad as missing a fair ball call 10 feet in front of your ******* face
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:08 AM by Scott »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2009, 12:56 AM »
The umpiring in game 4 was attrociously bad.  And the umps definitely made some makeup calls, too.

Besides that, congrats to the Phillies for winning the 2009 National League Penant!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:57 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2009, 01:59 AM »
Crap.  My flight chief is a big Eagles and Phillies fan.  The rest of the flight is probably going to expect us to fight at some point.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2009, 02:11 AM »

Relax, I like the Yankees.  My family is from New York... I used to go to their games as a kid.  I'm only half serious on all this buying-a-championship stuff.

Boy do you have a funny way of showing it!   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2009, 01:08 AM »
WOOHOO!!!  Yankees win the AL Penant!!!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2009, 12:20 PM »
What is the Yankees payroll this season $300 million or so?  They all play within the rules so I never get upset with the Yankees themselves.  Is it fair?  Heck no man!  LOL!  But they are well within the rules so get mad at Bud Selig I guess?  How they allow one team to get $300 million and another $50 million is beyond me but hey whatever.  Then they wonder why their sports overall popularity has gone down.  Hmmm....NFL has a salaray cap and is the most popular sport...hmmm.  Oh I could go on forever.