Author Topic: MLB 2009  (Read 30904 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2009
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2009, 01:00 PM »
What is the Yankees payroll this season $300 million or so? 

Nah, low $200's.  No team has ever come close to $300's.

But they are just playing by the rules set up for 'em, and paying the luxury taxes to the other teams, so it's all good in my book.

If they were ever breaking any rules, I would not support them.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Hmmm....NFL has a salaray cap and is the most popular sport...hmmm.  Oh I could go on forever.

Where in the world is there any kind of a correlation between the NFL's salary cap and the popularity of that league?  Answer:  There is none.

Football is popular because it's made for TV.  There are very few games relative to baseball (16 to 162).  The number of games, the schedule and the television contracts make it much easier for the NFL to have national appeal.  Individual MLB teams will never be able to get that kind of traction with a fanbase because of how the games are televised.  The Braves tried that and so have the Cubs.  But are either of them really "America's Team"?  No.  But ask that in football and the answer is instantly the Dallas Cowboys. 

Football is national.  Baseball is regional.  And that's why the NFL is more popular than Major League Baseball.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Where in the world is there any kind of a correlation between the NFL's salary cap and the popularity of that league?  Answer:  There is none.

Disagree.  The cap (generally) promotes parity, which means more teams have a shot at being good from year to year.  It helps maintain interest in more franchises.  If the owners and players can't work out a new agreement that keeps the cap in place, the NFL will suffer for it.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2009, 10:20 PM »
There is a cap in baseball, and teams that go over that cap pay a luxury tax.  A number of teams go over that mark.  But there are still plenty of teams that are well under that ceiling.

The money that's paid as part of the luxury tax goes into the league.  Now have we seen a move towards parity with this move?  Absolutely not.

The reason there's a disparity between teams is because of their individually negotiated television contracts.  Most large market MLB teams have a cable network that is dedicated to their games and reap the rewards of that revenue stream.  The NFL's TV contract is negotiated collectively and that money is evenly distributed throughout the league.  THAT is the source of the NFL's financial parity.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 2, 2009, 06:43 PM »
I honestly cannot recall a postseason where the officiating has been more of a question.  Some of the calls last night during Game 4 were once again questionable.  Calling Ryan Howard safe at the plate when he never even touched it?  The scoop catch by Howard?  And some of the makeup calls, too?

And I was definitely surprised to see the umps use replay to make the call on an Alex Rodriguez home run.  It almost seems like the umps want to bring replay into baseball.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: November 5, 2009, 09:50 AM »
Well, congrats to the Yankees and boo to Howard for not showing up (13 Ks?  ::)).  Makes me wonder if it'd been a closer series if Howard hadn't crapped out like that.

And, I still think Utley might have been a better MVP over the 6 games, but the fact that he went 0-3 last night probably killed any chance he had.  Matsui was a fine alternate I guess, but sort of strange since he never actually played in the field at all.  At least when Molitor won primarily as a DH in the 90s (93?), he played a few innings in the series.

Time to move on to Free Agency, where I get to spend the winter wondering whether Mauer will re-up with the Twins or wait for next year and the fat Yankee payday that would be waiting for him to replace Posada...  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #126 on: November 5, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Go Pirates!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 5, 2009, 03:35 PM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: November 5, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Who's Aki?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 6, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Twins trade Gomez to the Brewers for Hardy.  This seems to be a good trade for both teams.  Hardy hopefully bounces back from an off year and solidifies short for the Twins.  Now they need to do something about third.  An upgrade at 2nd would be nice, also, but no way Gardy gives away his butt buddy Punto's starting job.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2009, 08:22 PM »
COngrats to the Baby Jesus for winning the MVP today.  How does 7 years, $175 million sound?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2009, 08:31 PM »