Author Topic: CW Deluxe Figure & Vehicle Line  (Read 164645 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: CW Deluxe Figure & Vehicle Line
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2009, 08:55 AM »
Do we know what store these were spotted at?

I can't believe how far behind I am now. OUCH!!!!!

Judging by the shelf tags, I'd say a Walmart in the Chicago area.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:58 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Do we know what store these were spotted at?

I can't believe how far behind I am now. OUCH!!!!!

Judging by the shelf tags, I'd say a Walmart in the Chicago area.

It was a K-Mart, one of only 2 left that I'm aware of in my part of Chicagoland.

Cheers!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 05:58 PM »
Oops, I mixed up my ******-marts.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 10:17 PM »
It's funny you say that, because there is a Wal-Mart not too far from me in an area I used to live in that is by far the worst big box store I have ever gone to. It makes the shittiest of K-Marts look like Macy's. Yet there's another Wal-Mart not too far that is by far hands down the best WM I've ever been to.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Nothing beats the Wal-Mart near Century 3 Mall, and the WM in the Waterworks Mall here in Pittsburgh...  Oofah, they are attrocious.  C3 one I don't visit often, but when I have it's been a disaster.  The Waterworks one though is near to me, and I rarely stop at it. 

Some KM stores are like that, but honestly most of them around here are semi-normal.  They're just old...  A remodel would do them all wonders...  As would better prices.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 1, 2009, 05:18 PM »
I saw the first wave of these (minus the BARC/Clone, which was gone) at the local TRU this morning.  At $17.99 before tax, I think that TRU is going to have a stockpile of these.

As I walked away, once I stopped laughing at how ridiculous it was to charge 18 bucks for something like the Crab Droid, which cost almost half as much less than three years ago, I couldn't help but be impressed by how big Hasbro's balls are to charge that much for this type of thing.  At this point, let's just call it what it is: pure greed.   :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: July 2, 2009, 02:38 AM »
It sold for half that half even, as I got a # of crabdroids on clearance at WM back in the day.  Piss on those things...  And piss on these price hikes from Hasbro.  They seem like the only company jacking things up this high lately...  besides gas stations anyway. ;)

Seriously though, $18 for a once $9.99 item...  That's f'n lame.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 2, 2009, 11:01 AM »
I hope these choke at retail.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 2, 2009, 11:36 AM »
Yikes, $18?  I was on the fence with a few of these, but Hasbro might have priced me out of this line for the most part.  Like others have mentioned, I haven't seen near the price hikes with the other lines I collect or at least take a look at.  If there is something especially spiffy in this line at some point, we'll see, but otherwise I don't know if I can justify almost $20 for most of these things.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 2, 2009, 12:12 PM »
What the **** is Hasbro thinking? I was really looking forward to this line but I think I need to pass on everything now just to stick it to them. Unbelievable.  >:(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 2, 2009, 08:16 PM »
In my opinion, as stated earlier, it's all about greed at this point.  There is no reason whatsoever for reissues of toys that are, in some cases, 10 years old, to cost more than the original item.  Hasbro has long since made their money back on all of these molds, and to charge almost double for them is completely ridiculous and transparently an attempt to milk the consumer.  And because of the fact that these are so hideously overpriced and will likely sit for a long time once they hit en masse, the glut will no doubt keep later waves (in which Hasbro will put out new molds) from reaching retail or, at the very least, making it to retail in decent numbers, at which point they will say, "Fans obviously don't want a deluxe line" and cancel it outright, never admitting that Hasbro is the reason the line failed, not retail or collectors or kids.

I realize that's all sort of catastrophist of me to say that the line is doomed to fail less than a week after a single retailer has gotten the line, but Hasbro's really pushing it at this point.  If the ARC-170 repaint was the point where people said "Enough" in terms of price increases (again, for the record, it will go for at least double what it went for in 2005, and for 33% more than it went for just this year/right now at TRU as their exclusive), the deluxe line at a price point that is only a dollar less than the Starfighter vehicles are at Target (at least at mine as of earlier this morning), is going to be the thing that makes people ask if Hasbro truly are the crack smoking monkeys folks have referred to them as since the late 1990's in jest.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 3, 2009, 11:56 AM »
I think the PURPOSELY put these in window boxes instead of on cards so they can make them look "bigger" and charge more for them.

These things should be $10.99 - $12.99

The thing is that this line doesn't have a truly new sculpt coming AT ALL:

Anakin w/Can-cell - repacked figure w/repacked creature

Battle Droid w/Armored Scout Tank - repacked figure w/repacked mini-rig

Clone Trooper with BARC Speeder - back in July we got a two-pack of these for $19, now one alone costs $18?!?!

Crab Droid - repack

Jet Pack Clones 2-pack - slightly re-tooled Clone Wars Clones w/the JetPacks from the ROTS deluxe figure

Turbo Tank Gunners - two repacked Clone Troopers w/Guns that were probably originally intended to come with the Turbo Tank!

Count Dooku w/Speeder Bike - well the Speeder Bike is the same one from the AOTC line, the figure is a slightly retooled Animated Dooku with articulated legs and soft-goods -- this one is the closest thing to something "new" in the entire line and that's a stretch.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 3, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Count Dooku w/Speeder Bike - well the Speeder Bike is the same one from the AOTC line, the figure is a slightly retooled Animated Dooku with articulated legs and soft-goods -- this one is the closest thing to something "new" in the entire line and that's a stretch.

This is the only one in the first couple waves that I still plan on buying, since I missed out on the speeder bike the first time it was out and for the Dooku focus I've started.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 3, 2009, 08:03 PM »
I think the PURPOSELY put these in window boxes instead of on cards so they can make them look "bigger" and charge more for them.

Very true Pete.  Saw these at TRU after work and the packaging really looks like these things would cost more.  I'm still not biting though.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #59 on: July 8, 2009, 02:38 PM »
Of course.  The bigger the box, the more they can charge.  Doesn't matter what's in it.  I think Hasbro shoul be taken to task for the waste of plastic and cardboard.  Who knows, maybe they own stock in the landfill business.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com