Author Topic: CW Deluxe Figure & Vehicle Line  (Read 164644 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: CW Deluxe Figure & Vehicle Line
« Reply #60 on: July 9, 2009, 09:21 AM »
Well, that price is outrageous.  I was on the fence with these as some are repaints or look kind of neat in the new packaging, but I'll hold off until they go on clearance or some other chumps buy them up.  I wonder how well CW toys are faring now that the season is over. The figs were flying off the shelves a few months back, but I'm not seeing much movement these days.  Crazy prizes + low Summer interest from kids is not a good mix for Hasbro.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2009, 11:14 AM »
Just something to consider. It's been discussed before, but every time I'm reminded of this, it makes Hasbro's price increase arguments fall apart.

The mid-sized vehicle line has been in the $20 range for 30 years. Think about it. The latest ones just went back down to $20 after a brief flirt with a $22 price. I was just re-organizing some stuff and found both POTF2 and Vintage boxes that still have price stickers of $19.99. Just like basic figures, there are new sculpts and old sculpts, but everything has remained the same size, yet this line somehow remains the same price. I'm not sure How Hasbro can justify some of today's prices, even after taking material costs into consideration.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2009, 10:53 PM »
Unfortunately the prices of everything Star Wars has basically ended a large majority of the purchasing for me.  I was going to buy a crab droid or two but not at those prices.  There are SW items I want but I just can't buy a lot of it anymore.  I still about puke seeing action figures for $8.00. 

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2009, 12:59 PM »
It does kinda make you sick doesn't it.

Especially considering how just a couple of ears ago you could get them for $6 or less.

Compare this with what Hasbro did to the Marvel Legends figures as well. When that line was under a different company you could get those figures for $8 plus a build a figure piece.

Hasbro has retailers selling they're Marvel Legends figs for $10-12 each and not all have a build a figure piece either.

If a smaller company can make these figures (and many much better sculpts at that) for less, and have retailers charge less, then why does it cost more if it's a Hasbro product? Again, quality isn't the issue. In fact previous lines are sometimes better quality than Hasbro.

Ball joints and such shouldn't really be an issue either. Standard figures like the clones should be VERY cheap to make. If it's just repaints or new head sculpts, then there is a vastly lower research and development cost to said figures.

I understand why Hasbro wants flashier packaging to show off the product as they believe it will sell better with collectors (and kids alike). However, that's an added cost in production that really isn't necessary. If the product is that good, buying a completely boxed figure/beast/ship instead of a window box should be cheaper.

While I know that means those of you who collect MIB wouldn't be able to see the actual product, take into account we collectors who open our stuff as well as the overwhelming majority of kids who open their stuff too. Simply, this change in packaging would reduce cost, reduce plastics (the window) and helping the environment in a small way, etc.

Also, by putting these in a non-windowed box, Hasbro can compress the area needed to bow these up. Why would they do that? Again simple, less box means less space taken on shelves per unit, which means either more space for duplicates of that toy or others in that toy line to be on the shelf at once. Judicious use of materials needs to be in practice here. It's not like Hasbro would use more paper materials. After all, the window boxes are "die-cut" boxes for the most part. Meaning there is  a part cut away. Those pieces are discarded. It would be nice if those discarded pieces could at least find a way into the box for use as part of the inner packaging that keeps the toy in place, but we haven't seen that occur. So instead no diecut... Makes the box less delicate as well.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2009, 05:20 PM »
I saw these today and the packaging is disgusting!!  How can a company sleep at night in this day and age producing so much wasted plastic and cardboard.  It really is criminal!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2009, 07:24 PM »
Freeco speeder... looks cool to me!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I just saw this, really psyched we're getting one of these later this year.  I'll definitely be in for one or a couple.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2009, 11:08 PM »

Wow, yuck.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2009, 11:22 PM »

Looks rather phallic.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2009, 04:41 AM »
The Freeco Speeder looks like they actually put significant effort into it...  While I'd like one, not having a realistic Clone from the series to go with it is disappointing, as I'd certainly dig a realistic Snow Rex.

I may cave on these though, but it's gonna sting without the figures I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2009, 11:35 AM »

I second that.  bleckkk... Is this a new price point then?  I would have thought this thing would have fit into the $17.99-$18.99 overpriced price point.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2009, 11:47 AM »
Is this a new price point then?  I would have thought this thing would have fit into the $17.99-$18.99 overpriced price point.

No it is all one line.  Walmart/Target are charging the $15.99 MSRP, TRU is so far the only one who is stupid enough to charge the $18/$19 price for these.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Freeco speeder???

I haven't seen all the shows, but I might just pick this up. It's different enough. Seems like something out of the Jetsons though.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Too bad the Obi-Wan w/the Freeco Speeder is wrong. Weren't he and Anakin wearing cold-weather gear in this episode?

Great chance to make worth-while entry in this line wasted.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Too bad the Obi-Wan w/the Freeco Speeder is wrong. Weren't he and Anakin wearing cold-weather gear in this episode?

Great chance to make worth-while entry in this line wasted.

Yeah, I was disappointed in that as well.  Hopefully we'll get a wave of figures from that episode (one of my favorites).  It did look like the Obi included in this set at least had softgoods and possibly more articulation in the legs.