Author Topic: 2009 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 9430 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:46 PM »
The Tribe had some potential and started ok but quickly lost it's identity and never recovered.  The ending, and alternate, are especially odd and just feel like someone gave up at the end and just decided to end the film and tack on something.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 3, 2009, 04:05 PM »
Finally picked up this classic.

Forget to get Tales Of The Black Freighter. Curses!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 4, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Picked up Vantage Point, The Love Guru, Beowulf, and a lame movie called Speed Racer for $20 at Hollywood Video.

...and I'll end up never watching these of course.   ::)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 7, 2009, 02:33 PM »
Good way to waste $20.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 07:26 PM »
I'm pretty happy that April is light on DVD releases... most of the stuff coming out I'm going to wait and score for under $10 around Christmas time (*cough* Yes Man *cough*). At least I'll get to save some cash.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 03:08 AM »
The Easter bunny brought me The Matrix Trilogy on Blu-ray.  8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 12:00 PM »
I've been discussing this with my wife lately, as we talk about hoping to get a new TV/blu ray player sometime this summer (hopefully) - how many of your current DVD titles would you re-buy on blu-ray?  My wife didn't like the prospect of rebuying a bunch of movie, but I did say there are some that I'd like to have in HD - but not necessarily all.  Particularly the bigger, special effects laden stuff like:

Star Wars Saga (of course, if/when it is released)
Lord of the Rings
Indiana Jones (when the rest are released)
Harry Potter Saga
Some SuperHero/Comic Movies (Spidey Trilogy, X1/2, Iron Man, and Batman Begins/TDK come to mind)
Possibly Transformers
Pixar Movies

I'm also guessing my wife might want to re-buy Twilight as well.  There might be a few others I'm forgetting right now, but I was just wondering how many of you have re-bought the movies on blu-ray (or I guess, how many of us here have made the switch to blu-ray).

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 12:32 PM »
I've taken the same approach as you.  I've only re-bought a handful of Blu-rays, all of them favorites.  I have tons of DVDs that I'll likely never watch again, so they're just staying on the shelves.  But after I got a PS3 I decided I was done buying DVDs... it's Blu-ray or nothing.  I'm also renting a bunch through Netflix.  Standard DVDs just don't hold a candle.

I will get Star Wars, LOTR, and others biggies when they become available.  But I don't plan to replace most of what I own.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 12:42 PM »
I've taken the same approach as you.  I've only re-bought a handful of Blu-rays, all of them favorites.  I have tons of DVDs that I'll likely never watch again, so they're just staying on the shelves.  But after I got a PS3 I decided I was done buying DVDs... it's Blu-ray or nothing.  I'm also renting a bunch through Netflix.  Standard DVDs just don't hold a candle.

I will get Star Wars, LOTR, and others biggies when they become available.  But I don't plan to replace most of what I own.

We also have a lot of DVDs that we really never watch, so we've started to get a lot more selective in what we buy these days.  It used to be "hey, I liked that in the theater, let's buy it" or sometimes we'd just blind buy things.  Now I really only pick up DVDs that I know I'll watch at least a few times, hopefully more than that.  If/when we make the blu-ray switch, it will be even more selective I think.  Plus, I get this feeling that things are going to progress to the AppleTV/Digital Download type thing before too terribly long - which I think could be nice.  I know its handy when we have movies/shows recorded on our DVR it is pretty easy to watch something or switch around/whatever.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 12:56 PM »
I just watched the Matrix on Blu-ray last night - it's a must have for HD watching.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 01:51 PM »

I'm barely buying any DVD's too, and even though I'm buying fewer blu-rays this year than I did last year, I haven't shown the restraint you seem to have.  I'm pushing 250 260 blu-rays at this point.  Although in my own defense I almost never pay full price.  I generally take advantage of Amazon sales and the like (no Cory jokes please). 

But today I'm buying The Wrestler, price be damned.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:39 PM by Rob »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Plus, I get this feeling that things are going to progress to the AppleTV/Digital Download type thing before too terribly long - which I think could be nice.  I know its handy when we have movies/shows recorded on our DVR it is pretty easy to watch something or switch around/whatever.

The real downside of downloading movies is compression.  Even watching movies on FiOS I see artifacting and blurriness, and FiOS is just about the least compressed content available.  DirecTV was a joke.  Until the infrastructure is dramatically improved to allow uncompressed movies to be streamed, I'll be sticking to Blu-rays.  I've watched so many films that have just blown me away it'd be difficult to regress to 5-Gig compressed junk.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 03:24 PM »
I have a 30-something inch TV but it's not HD, so I feel like it's kind of pointless getting Blu-Ray.  :-\

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Plus, I get this feeling that things are going to progress to the AppleTV/Digital Download type thing before too terribly long - which I think could be nice.  I know its handy when we have movies/shows recorded on our DVR it is pretty easy to watch something or switch around/whatever.

The real downside of downloading movies is compression.  Even watching movies on FiOS I see artifacting and blurriness, and FiOS is just about the least compressed content available.  DirecTV was a joke.  Until the infrastructure is dramatically improved to allow uncompressed movies to be streamed, I'll be sticking to Blu-rays.  I've watched so many films that have just blown me away it'd be difficult to regress to 5-Gig compressed junk.

I'm going to second what Bill said.  If you're really interested in high quality picture and sound, blu-ray is the best option by far.  If you're thinking about streaming movies onto an HDTV you might as well just buy a blu-ray player and watch regular DVD's.  The blu-ray players upscale DVD's incredibly well, probably as good or better than streaming anything.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 04:02 PM »
I have a 30-something inch TV but it's not HD, so I feel like it's kind of pointless getting Blu-Ray.  :-\

Yes, that would be pointless.  Until you get an HDTV you won't see any benefit from Blu-ray, unless you have a really high end sound system (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.).