Author Topic: 2009 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 9469 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 05:07 PM »
I don't have any idea when I'll switch to HDTV and Blu-Ray but I already know that I won't replace most of the DVDs I already have.  I'd buy the LOTR films as well as Star Wars (when/if released) and maybe the Spider-Man films.  I'm coming up blank on anything else, though.

Love movies, love television, and I've seen both on HDTV as well as Blu-Ray movies on HDTV and while I definitely want to go to HDTV, I don't feel a need to go Blu-Ray.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 08:16 PM »
I picked up The Wrestler and Sin City on Blu-ray today.  I also ordered the X-Men Trilogy Blu-ray from Amazon.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 10:16 PM »
How much did you pay for Sin City?  I'm thinking about upgrading but it was $30 at Best Buy and that's too much for me to jump on a movie I already own.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 12:42 AM »
Picked up The Wrestler and Jurassic Park Adventure Pack as it was on sale at Best Buy.

I probably won't be switching to HDTV/Blu-Ray for a while (still in college, and thus, poor) but when I do I'm only going to rebuy super hero flicks, the SW trilogies and other random stuff that I really like. Some stuff like the Apatow movies... do they really need to be on Blu-Ray? The DVD upconversion will be just fine for stuff like that.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 09:28 AM »
This is probably a really dumb question, but will a blu-ray player even work on a "regular" TV?  I only ask because we haven't yet picked up an HDTV (but hope to this summer), but our DVD player seems to be starting to crap out.  I figured since we intended to buy a blu-ray player eventually anyways, it would be stupid to pick up a DVD player only to replace it with blu-ray months later.  I know we wouldn't see the "HD quality", but would it work as a DVD player until then?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Yes.  It'll even play Blu-rays.  Just at standard def.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 02:40 PM »
How much did you pay for Sin City?  I'm thinking about upgrading but it was $30 at Best Buy and that's too much for me to jump on a movie I already own.

It's $26.99 this week at Target.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Here's my latest purchase, something to keep me occupied until the next season of Blossom comes out:

I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys good music.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Been looking for a cheapo version of this for years now..

about time.....
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 2, 2009, 09:33 AM »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 2, 2009, 11:21 AM »
I'm down for both, although I'll wait until one of Deepdiscountdvd's major sales (and hoped I don't get ****** over like I did last year with them and Batman: The complete animated series set).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 2, 2009, 07:17 PM »
While I would kind of like that GI Joe set, I have to admit that after watching the DVDs included with the recent Battle Packs, I'm a little less interested.

My fond memories of the show were a little tarnished after watching them recently.  It's pretty campy.  All the "Yo Joe!" and "Cooobra!" yelling was kind of ridiculous.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 3, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Sadly - the same can be said with Transformers.  I have the Rhino versions from a few years back and it was really hard to watch some most of the episodes IMO.  I'm glad to have them all, but they're just not as "good" as I thought they were when I was a kid.   :-\

Great memories though....
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Pics and info for the GI Joe Complete Collector's Footlocker Set.  Looks pretty spiffy.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #44 on: July 2, 2009, 07:43 AM »
Here is a coupon I heard of online for 50% off a Blu-Ray disc from Borders. (Limit 2)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird