Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Baseball 2009  (Read 31121 times)

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Baseball 2009
« Reply #75 on: May 7, 2009, 05:34 PM »
This might be a stupid question, but how come athletes don't verify that any medication, supplement, or drug that they are taking isn't or have ingredients that are on the banned list?  And to do it before they actually take it.  May be there's something more to it, but if I were a professional athlete and testing was being done in my sport, I would take every precaution to avoid triggering a positive test especially if I were a high profile and highly paid athlete.  Wouldn't it be logical to find other treatments that wouldn't trigger a positive test?

I'm not saying he's guilty or not guilty, but isn't this common sense or am I missing something?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 7, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Either they're guilty, or they're stupid.  I don't see any other options.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 7, 2009, 05:56 PM »
I really do not know much about this stuff.  Is the Dr. appointed by the sport's team themselves?  Or is this Dr. just a family one chosen by the player?  It's not the first time that an athlete has acted like he/she did not know what was in the drugs they were taking and then claim their innocence.  So, I would think they would be extra cautious and ask something like "is there anything in this drug I'm taking that could get me suspended?"  Get someone in the know to check it out.  If everything was on the up and up that would be one of my concerns as a pro-player.   Even when a doctor prescribes something for me I kind of check out what's in it rather casually.  But if I were a pro athlete under the microscope this day in age of steroids and such I would have it triple-checked to make damn sure everything is a-ok with the drugs I'm taking. 

So, with that it's hard for me to believe Manny or these other athletes that claim innocence.  It's just all a bit convenient.  The whole "Golly gosh gee whiz I did not know!  I am not a doctor so I had no idea!"  He may be innocent but it's just a bit questionable really.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2009, 05:58 PM by Darth Broem »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 7, 2009, 11:47 PM »
What, pray tell, the hell is wrong with Mariano Rivera?   :o >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 8, 2009, 01:38 AM »

He's just about 40 dude.

He did get off to a a bad start in 2007, then straightened out.  Last year he was lights out from day 1 forward.  This season, at least coming into tonight, he did have a respectable 2.50 ERA/1.20 WHIP.

I think this is just a blip basically, but he is on the tail end of his career so if it's more than that I wouldn't be stunned.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 8, 2009, 02:15 AM »

Maybe it's that Longoria is just bad ass.

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 8, 2009, 03:12 AM »

Maybe it's that Longoria is just bad ass.

He's been awesome.

I wish I could say the same for my pitchers.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 8, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Aramis Ramirez of the Cubs left the game against the Brewers tonight with a dislocated left shoulder...  He's going to be on the DL this time for a while.  Yet again, the Cubs can't catch a break.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 9, 2009, 01:18 AM »
Geez, that's unfortunate.  Most amazing part is he isn't part of my team (for the first time in three years). 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 9, 2009, 09:05 PM »
Geez, that's unfortunate.  Most amazing part is he isn't part of my team (for the first time in three years). 

Yeah, he's on mine.  I'm really, really starting to think that the autodraft thought it was picking for you.

Ramirez is out for God knows how long, McCann's been out most of the year with blurred vision in his eye.  Kuroda started off brilliantly and then got hurt and has been out ever since.  Berkman has had some sort of wrist thing going on that's kept him out sporadically and might explain his overall sucking this season.  I've had Braun miss days with a bad back, three or four guys miss time with the flu...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 9, 2009, 10:21 PM »
I believe the name "Hawaiian Curse" may be available for your use.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 9, 2009, 11:14 PM »
But I've never even been there...

Canadian Curse?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2009, 01:03 PM »
So I have a question for my more seasoned fantasty league managers.  If someone has been placed on the 15 day DL, but it's retrospective to a date that's 8 days past, do you bother to put the player on the DL on your roster and add someone else?  Youkilis was placed on the DL retrospective to May 5th.  I have another player on my roster that can fill his spot, so I'm not going to need to fill a hole in my roster.  It just seems kind of unneccessary to add someone to my roster that I'll probably end up dropping again in a week or so anyway...  Anyway, thought I'd throw that question out there to you guys to get your thoughts.  Thanks.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2009, 05:41 PM »
Up to you if you want to do it.  If you're happy with the guys you have, then nope, no worries about filling it.  If you see a hole you can fill, even temporarily, you now have space for it. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Hey Sith's Sox, if you could go ahead and do me a solid and, like, stop scoring points in the standings and stuff, that'd be great.

I'll keep it brief and let you go get started on that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:52 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda