Author Topic: Target Exclusive Japanese Remote Control Droids  (Read 11300 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Remote Control Droids coming to Target
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 09:24 PM »
Well - speaking as someone who bought each of the Tomy imports from StarWarsShop.com - I'm still kinda glad that I did.

Looks like the base/stand that shipped with the Japanese versions has been dropped from the packaging.

While a base/stand doesn't seem like much of a big deal, the great thing about it in this case is that it has a spot to hold the lightsaber handle remote. This way, if you display your open stuff, the remote rests neatly next to your remote control droid.

I guess this is one of the ways they're keeping the price on these down.

Still think I'm going to pass and add these to the list of stuff "I've already got and don't need the packaging variants" that I am passing on now due to space considerations
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 8, 2009, 01:01 PM »
Nice r2d2, a bit larger than hasbro votc, I would be prepared to pay maximum 15 bucks for it.

Hey guys, do you fancy what will happen if Tommy launches stormies, Vaders, bobas, and other characters?

it Will be harder for Tommy to compete with Hasbro, which is doing a great job.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 9, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Nice r2d2, a bit larger than hasbro votc, I would be prepared to pay maximum 15 bucks for it.

I live by one of the Targets that sells basic figs for $8.79 so maybe these will be cheaper else where, but when I put the numbers for these into the scanner they come up $16.99. At that price I think I'm only getting the R5-X? since "he" is the only character of these I don't have any version of.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: March 9, 2009, 03:16 PM »
I'm pretty excited for these actually.  I held off buying the imports because of the price + shipping.  I really wanted the R5 but not at the cost.  Now though, I'll gladly nab any unique one I can find.  I'll deal with the price happily enough... Love my R2-D2, and these have me pretty pumped for the rest of the crew.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 9, 2009, 05:08 PM »
Has there been any word on whether R4-P17 will be part of the assortment?   Are there any others besides that one that aren't listed in the Hasbro slide?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Has there been any word on whether R4-P17 will be part of the assortment?   Are there any others besides that one that aren't listed in the Hasbro slide?

I haven't seen R4 listed, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro planned on releasing all of them at some point as long as Target continues to give them the peg space. The only one I wouldn't expect to see is the clear R2-D2, but I would think all of the movie ones are fair game.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Wait a second... there's a clear R2-D2?   ???

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Wait a second... there's a clear R2-D2?   ???

Yep - it was the Celebration Japan exclusive from Tomy, they sold them at SWS.com for a short period after that convention was held.

Here's the photo-gallery for it on RebelScum: http://www.rebelscum.com/TACCJclearR2D2.asp

edit: You can actually still buy it from SWS.com - http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=1223962;category_id=322

I only got one for my collection, now that it's been reduced to $17.99, I might have to pick another one up to open...  ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:22 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 08:54 PM »
That's what I get for deciding really late in the game that I was going to collect the RC droids.

Thanks for the link, I'm putting in an order now before I miss out.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 12:38 PM »
I was just over at Target.com, and I noticed that these are in stock and shipping in 24 hours there.  I haven't seen these at retail (and I don't think they've been found anywhere yet), but I thought I'd pass it along if anyone was interested in picking them up online.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Picked up R5-X2 at Target. It's my first RC droid, and I highly recommend these. They're really cool. 8)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:01 PM by David »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 10:14 PM »
How much were these when Tak/Tomy had them?  Is $16.99 a fair price?  I think these are pretty cool, but not sure if I want to start down an endless repaint route at this price.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 10:24 PM »
How much were these when Tak/Tomy had them?  Is $16.99 a fair price? 

SWShop is selling the Japanese versions for $20-$25 plus shipping, so $17 for these current versions at Target is a "fair" price.  Not "cheap" by any means, but cheaper than the original RotS/30AC Japanese versions.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 11:27 PM »
How much were these when Tak/Tomy had them?  Is $16.99 a fair price? 

SWShop is selling the Japanese versions for $20-$25 plus shipping, so $17 for these current versions at Target is a "fair" price.  Not "cheap" by any means, but cheaper than the original RotS/30AC Japanese versions.

Even on sale at SWShop I don't think they got below $15.  They are definitely cool and I'm not returning mine, but I couldn't help but feel a wee bit screwed paying over $70 for four little packages.

And don't even think about quoting that - the OOC thread is closed.   ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 11:57 PM »
They are definitely cool and I'm not returning mine, but I couldn't help but feel a wee bit screwed paying over $70 for four little packages.

That's why I plan on getting the ones that I'm interested in one at a time. :)

I've only picked up R5-X2 so far (he's the only one I've seen). Despite the price, I think these are very cool and they're definitely neat additions to the collection. I wouldn't mind a couple more waves to pick and choose droids from.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:58 PM by David »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!