Author Topic: Defender Wishlists 2009: Discussion  (Read 22394 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Defender Wishlists 2009: Discussion
« Reply #45 on: June 3, 2009, 09:57 AM »
I don't get all the secrecy either.  We've talked about it before, but these are just toys after all.  Of course, I think they've sort of created this problem themselves (Hasbro).  In the past Q and A's, both online and at Fairs/Conventions, they have point blank told us we're not getting something (example: BMF) only to get it that same year.  There have been other examples of this as well.  So while they may tire of fans consistently asking about something like the Tonnika sisters, I don't think the fanbase really accepts their "not gonna happen" answers anymore - since we've heard it before, only to see things happen.  Personally, I get the feeling these really aren't going to be made, but we'll continue to see them asked about until the line ends.  I'm ok either way I guess.  There are plenty of other Cantina patrons to do, and if we get the Tonnika sisters at some point - great - if not, that's fine too.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 3, 2009, 10:12 AM »
The only thing about the Tonnika Sisters being considered prostitutes and named "Star Whores" is that the average person who isn't that big into SW but collects (maybe a parent who wasn't big into it back in their youth) probably wouldn't know the background story. Plus, if they're marketed as something different on the cards, I think that would be fine.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 3, 2009, 12:40 PM »
The only thing about the Tonnika Sisters being considered prostitutes and named "Star Whores" is that the average person who isn't that big into SW but collects (maybe a parent who wasn't big into it back in their youth) probably wouldn't know the background story. Plus, if they're marketed as something different on the cards, I think that would be fine.

On the surface, it appears that most people wouldn't know the backstory.  But what about someone who's got an axe to grind against Lucasfilm or Hasbro, knows about that backstory, and knows how to draft a press release?  Someone could potentially turn a couple of action figures into a big public relations problem for both Lucasfilm and Hasbro.  These are toys, and the target market for them really is kids.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #48 on: June 3, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Has there ever been an official document/comic/book whatever released that calls them prostitutes?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 3, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Has there ever been an official document/comic/book whatever released that calls them prostitutes?

There was a production image of at least one of the sisters in an old official site article about the Cantina patrons.  And that image had the name "Star w****s" on it.  Coincidentally enough that image is no longer available in the archived article.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: June 3, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Coincidentally enough that image is no longer available in the archived article.

It is still hosted on SW.com though...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #51 on: June 3, 2009, 03:08 PM »
If that's the only thing that links them to protitution, it certainly isn't enough for Hasbro or Lucasfilm to worry about some backlash from the religious right or something as a reason to not make the figure.  It looks to me much more ambiguous, and if I just seen the picture without reading the thread, "star whores" wouldn't have entered my mind.  It looks like it could easily have been carelessness in a hurried intern taking ref pics, and, most likely, it was indeed a very much a very one-off joke made by a bored photog when he probably had to spend a entire week doing hundreds of these shots of all the characters.

Very much a non-issue compared to the the actress rights problem that has been widely acknowledged to be the problem.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #52 on: June 3, 2009, 03:51 PM »
If that's the only thing that links them to protitution, it certainly isn't enough for Hasbro or Lucasfilm to worry about some backlash from the religious right or something as a reason to not make the figure.  It looks to me much more ambiguous, and

Please post the leftist political anger towards the Religious Right in the Sarlacc Pitt.

"Protitution" or Prostitution is not the problem, they can sell these as an SDCC exclusives geared towards adult collectors and a not a Mass market release. If you read the Wookieepedia back story there is no mention of Prostitution, they were con artists. There really is some legal jive with likeness rights/royalties that has more to do with Lucasfilm not Hasbro. I have ex-coworker friends at Hasbro and even they conceded it's a legal matter. I actually believe them when they say they are not happening. Bothering them every Q&A may help lobby the cause, but it's up to the Grand Flanneled Beard to grant permission. They must have really pissed him off.

On another note that Tonnika sister looks hot in a 70's sort of way in that BW smugshot.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #53 on: June 3, 2009, 04:33 PM »
If that's the only thing that links them to protitution, it certainly isn't enough for Hasbro or Lucasfilm to worry about some backlash from the religious right or something as a reason to not make the figure.  It looks to me much more ambiguous, and

On another note that Tonnika sister looks hot in a 70's sort of way in that BW smugshot.

Which is exactly why I think a bored photog started moving letters around.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2009, 10:29 AM »
They've all been great so far, but I really liked the results of the latest ESB wishlist.  It seems like one of the few OT movies that really still needs "ultimate" versions of the main characters, with Bespin Han, Hoth Luke, and Hoth Leia all making the list.  It would be nice if we could see all three of them next year, although that is probably wishful thinking.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2009, 02:36 AM »
Speaking of the Tonnikas, I kinda like this pic (including a good shot of Rycard).

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2009, 02:40 AM »
As custom references go, that's outstanding stuff.  Good color matcher, and it even has the midget too.  That's good all around.  Really shows teh height difference in the sisters as well.  Thanks DB for posting that, it's gone into the custom images folder for future use.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2009, 04:39 PM »
Damn.  No love for the Giant Mouse Droid in the ROTJ poll.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2009, 10:42 AM »
I've been tallying lots of wasted votes on the ROTJ list (especially Ewoks):

Wicket (Coming 2010)
Paploo (Coming 2009)
Warok (Coming 2009 BP)
Wooof (Coming 2010)
Dressellian (Coming 2009)
Luke Jedi (Coming 2009)

I guess this is all subject to change but all of the above have been confirmed in Q&A's

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2009, 11:57 AM »
Unfortunately, a lot of people would not consider those votes wasted, since even after those figures are released, they're just going to vote for them again as they will undoubtably be somehow obsolete or not up to the latest standards or some such reasoning. 

A lot of people just don't care about getting all-new minor characters, and are only ever going to look at which of the main characters need to be redone.