Author Topic: Defender Wishlists 2009: Discussion  (Read 22386 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Defender Wishlists 2009: Discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 12:40 AM »
i guess I meant the Pilot figure, yeah...  I forgot why he had that other outfit on actually, haha.  But yes, the pilot figure...  Hell I'd like a new Kaminoan or two, a new young Boba Fett, some younglings...  Padme Outlander's the only one I really have a desire to get right now...  I'm more into Padme's "action" outfits.  She needs a new E1 figure in her purple duds.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Alright back to the movies...up next is ROTS.  Go nuts!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Defender Wishlists Discussion
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 02:50 PM »
I think to put the Tonnika sisters on the list is a waste of a space.  Hasbro has already mentioned, ad nauseaum, that they won't produce them! I'm also going to omit Ponda and Evazan because they all but confirmed them.

That's one change I forgot to make (and now edited) - it really seems like the chances of the Tonnika sisters is slim to none.  Like you mentioned, they've said several times that it isn't going to happen.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Defender Wishlists Discussion
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 04:46 PM »
I think to put the Tonnika sisters on the list is a waste of a space.  Hasbro has already mentioned, ad nauseaum, that they won't produce them! I'm also going to omit Ponda and Evazan because they all but confirmed them.

That's one change I forgot to make (and now edited) - it really seems like the chances of the Tonnika sisters is slim to none.  Like you mentioned, they've said several times that it isn't going to happen.

I'm of the thinking that these are still valid choices to suggest as Hasbro could still make these figures IF they were not to use the likenesses of the actresses. The headsculpts and any packaging material can be made such that they do not look like the actresses - we know Hasbro already does this as many times the headsculpts don't match the actors and they use stylized imagery for their packaging. Unless Lucasfilm puts the kabosh on this, I don't see any reason for Hasbro not making the figures so long as they don't resemble the actresses that played the characters. In fact you can go one step further, in EU the two women we see in the Cantina have been established as NOT being the Tonnika Sisters, but instead members of the Mistryl Shadow Guard. So in essence Hasbro could create a new look facial look for the sisters with the proper explanation in the bio.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 05:03 PM »
There's a discussion going on in the ANH voting thread about whether people should even bother putting the Tonnika Sisters in their wishlists. It'll eventually be moved into this thread (right?) so I figured I'd just post my thoughts here.

I think people should still vote for the Tonnikas if they want to see them made. I did. Even though Hasbro's said the chances are slim to none, that doesn't mean we shouldn't let Hasbro know we want them and would buy figures of them if they were made. If we didn't, wouldn't there be absolutely no chance at all of Hasbro at least trying to figure out a way to make them for us?

It worked with Yarna. It worked with ICMG. So VOTE TONNIKAS! 8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 05:09 PM »
It'll eventually be moved into this thread (right?)

Yep...

in EU the two women we see in the Cantina have been established as NOT being the Tonnika Sisters, but instead members of the Mistryl Shadow Guard. So in essence Hasbro could create a new look facial look for the sisters with the proper explanation in the bio.

Exactly.  Maybe everyone should stop voting for the Tonnikas in the ANH wishlist poll and start voting for Shada D'ukal and Karoly D'ulin in the EU Wishlist Poll.  :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I've seen a few votes for a 2X droid...I thought that was confirmed?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 06:07 PM »
2X-7KPR (from the Sandcrawler scene) = confirmed as a pack-in with a Jawa in the ANH wave later this year.

2X-3KPR (from the Lars family scenes) = not confirmed
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 12:35 AM »
I've seen a few votes for a 2X droid...I thought that was confirmed?

I really hope they do get around to doing this one - with light up action!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 07:08 PM »
There's a discussion going on in the ANH voting thread about whether people should even bother putting the Tonnika Sisters in their wishlists. It'll eventually be moved into this thread (right?) so I figured I'd just post my thoughts here.

I think people should still vote for the Tonnikas if they want to see them made. I did. Even though Hasbro's said the chances are slim to none, that doesn't mean we shouldn't let Hasbro know we want them and would buy figures of them if they were made. If we didn't, wouldn't there be absolutely no chance at all of Hasbro at least trying to figure out a way to make them for us?

It worked with Yarna. It worked with ICMG. So VOTE TONNIKAS! 8)

It is a wishlist afterall.  Those are two figures I wish they would make regardless if they ever will or even can.  If we start telling people not to vote for certain figures then what would be the point of the wishlist?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 2, 2009, 07:40 PM »
I noticed on the recent Collector Force Cast that we've been discussing in the forums today, Derryl was again asked about the Tonnika sisters and shot them down again.  It was so far that he couldn't even discuss why they couldn't be done or anything.  It seemed really hush-hush for something as silly as action figures of two obscure characters :).  He did basically mention these (and the "burnt" Owen/Beru) would never be coming out, from what I gathered.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: June 2, 2009, 09:45 PM »
I'm ok with that I guess.  I've got other aliens/characters I'd rather see anyway, but the super secrecy around it is mildly dumb IMO...  Just say, "We don't have the rights to the likenesses", and be done with it?  Eh, whatever.  Go Bom Vimdin, you one-horned goon.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 3, 2009, 01:50 AM »
I've always thought that with the Tonnikas it was a combination of things.  To me it seemed like the likeness rights may have been part of the problem. 

But I continue to think it's a hands off situation more because the Tonnikas were unofficially called "Star Whores" in production materials and the character backstory was generally along those lines.  I think it's even more telling that when Decipher came up with cards for the sisters, an all new backstory was assigned to them.  They were made into spies/assassins who were posing as prostitutes.

I think that the likeness rights story has served as a good diversion for the fanboys.  Because when you think about the prospect for Hasbro to make figures of Star Wars prostitutes, it  seems like it may be a public relations disaster for both Hasbro as well as Lucasfilm.

And what's more telling?  In my years of reporting for a couple of sites, I've developed a *decent* rapport with the Hasbro guys.  I've gotten some off the record info from them.  One such item was about the Turbo Tank at Toy Fair 2008.  But I have not been able to get Hasbro to even comment on this off the record.  That's how delicate of a topic the Tonnika sisters seem to be with Hasbro.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: June 3, 2009, 02:00 AM »
I just don't get the secrecy though.  And there are like 3 EU stories out there concerning these girls so the while the prostitute deal is probably as good as an excuse as any, to me that can be as easily changed quicker than you can say "Pons Limbic".  Why not just tell us that LFL has said no and that is that.  Part of their complete and utter stupidity over a somewhat dumb and overall irrelavent "secret" continues to build interest, needlessly

Also...regarding the prostitute angle...all I need to do is refute that with one "dancer"

Out of the thousands upon thousands of non corpse characters that they could tackle...only 2 are off limits?  Come on ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 3, 2009, 02:06 AM »
I think that even if they said "We're not going to make the Tonnika sisters because they're prostitutes" they would still catch a lot of flack.  Because that's a public admission/statement about prostitutes in the Star Wars universe.  And the license has made a lot of money selling itself as something family friendly for kids of all ages.  Those things don't mesh up well.

I'll agree that Oola and even Leia in the slave outfit are provocative.  But there's still something of a leap from dancer to hooker.  Ballet dancers in the real world can dress somewhat scantily and there's never really a link drawn between them and a street walker.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback