Author Topic: Deathtroopers  (Read 7395 times)

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Deathtroopers
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:04 AM »
This was originally going to come out on October 28th and be released in paperback, but thankfully, it's now coming out on October 13th and it will be released in Hardback.  :D

The first Star Wars horror novel. Looking forward to reading this one!

In the time immediately following the destruction of the Death Star and the years between the Battle of Yavin and the foundation of the Rebel Base on Hoth, the Empire's grip on the galaxy has become an unyielding fist of retribution. Pressed into action by Emperor Palpatine, Imperial forces have stepped up efforts to hunt down and imprison Rebel sympathizers, shipping them off to newly formed detainment moons via huge prison barges. By necessity these barges are floating chambers of degradation and vice, notoriously unreliable spacecraft staffed by Imperial corrections officers whose cruelty rivals that of the inmates. The Imperial Prison Barge Virtue is hauling its load of prisoners, criminals and murderers, human and non-human, across the galaxy, when it breaks down in deep space. Soon after, the ship's warden discovers a derelict Star Destroyer, seemingly abandoned, and sends a boarding party to scavenge parts to repair the Virtue. Half of them don't come back. The ones that do are infected with a virus so deadly that within hours, it has wiped out ninety-nine percent of the barge's population. But for the handful of survivors - two brothers, the Virtue's female chief medical officer, and a sadistic captain of the guards, along with a certain rogue smuggler and his Wookiee sidekick - the true horror is just begun. Because those inmates and guards who died of the virus don't stay dead...and when they come back, they're extremely hungry. Against their better judgment, the survivors take refuge aboard the massive creaking emptiness of the Destroyer, only to discover that its original population has not disappeared at all - and that they've been waiting for them.
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Deathtroopers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:40 AM »
And at some point the Fonz jumps a shark with his speeder bike.   ::)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Don't know how long it will be up, but Amazon.com has the hardcover version of this up for pre-order at the awesome price of only $7.99! Order has been placed.  :)
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:40 AM »
And at some point the Fonz jumps a shark with his speeder bike.   ::)

I don't think you can "jump the shark" in a book that isn't even in a series. If this was a story in a 10 book series or certainly from one of the movies maybe the Fonz could have shown up (and I'm still not sold on that).
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:31 PM »
My point was I think they've gone too far in making a "Horror" novel.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Again, I don't think they can go "too far" by making one book that is a horror novel. I think it will be interesting if it is a one time thing.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:25 PM »
I am very much looking forward to reading this. The last horror type book I read was "The Oath" which was fourteen years ago.
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:24 PM »
I think its a neat idea - a little bummed that they felt they had to put Han and Chewie in the mix though.  Its a little lame IMO that Han somehow gets involved in 99.9% of the weirdest and most important things that ever happen in the SW universe.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 11:25 PM »
I hope you enjoy it and it's well written.  This one's just not appealing to me.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 1, 2009, 12:34 PM »
   I kinda liked the idea of a Star Wars horror novel. Just as a one-off what if type thing. Stormtroopers vs Zombies/Vampires/Werewomprats/FrankenYoda would've been fine with me... until the main characters from the films are thrown in. My favorite horror films are those in which the characters are played by no name actors and you get to know them/feel for them/want them to live as the film progresses.
   I'm not going to feel that way for Han and Chewie because I know they live. That really ruins the suspense thing. Now it's simply the heroes vs. Zombies instead of the heroes vs. Vader. That's my biggest issue with Clone Wars. All of these Super Weapon plots, even with background Jedi, don't even make me fear for the heroes safety because they pop up in Revenge of the Sith.
   I know I'll pick up this book, at least just for the cover. I also know that I won't be enjoying it as much as I'd like. I just cannot get into the books about the movie characters in crazy situations. The Lair of Grievous TV episode will probably seem more terrifying than this book.

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Don't know how long it will be up, but Amazon.com has the hardcover version of this up for pre-order at the awesome price of only $7.99! Order has been placed.  :)

Looks like Amazon.com caught their mistake as it's now up to the more believable price of $16.32. Gotta love the pre-order price guarantee!
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 10:21 AM »
If I recall correctly this comes out today.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 06:00 PM »

That is correct. I was thinking of picking it up but I think I'll listen to SWAN's podcast review of it first.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 06:57 PM »

That is correct. I was thinking of picking it up but I think I'll listen to SWAN's podcast review of it first.

I stopped at B&N and grabbed it. I could see it being fascinating or really dumb. I'll find out soon.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 01:34 PM »
I'm about a 1/4 of the way through and so far if it wasn't for the few mentions of Vader, Stormtroopers, and Star Destroyers it would just be any old boring horror novel. Having said that I need to give it a little more time for the action to pick up.