Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 99553 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Offseason 2009
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2009, 04:53 PM »
Sorry to a wet blanket on that.

Now to Football news..

ESPN is reporting today that Fox Sports is reporting that an unnamed Vikings player is claiming that Brett Favre is going to be joining the team.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2009, 05:05 PM »
Sorry to a wet blanket on that.

Now to Football news..

ESPN is reporting today that Fox Sports is reporting that an unnamed Vikings player is claiming that Brett Favre is going to be joining the team.

Well, that will make the Vikings a much better team.

Great D, great O-line, A-Pete and a legendary QB.

Things are looking up for the ViQueens.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2009, 01:20 PM »
He should be landing in the Twin Cities pretty quickly.  Not sure if this is good for the team on the long run, but it will sell jerseys.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2009, 01:22 PM »
There's no long run.  There's one year, MAYBE two.  I know Scott hates it, but if it were my team I'd be excited to see what they could be like with a real QB.

Hell, before he went to NY I was all but certain he was going to be a Buc and I was thrilled about it.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2009, 01:23 PM »
He should be landing in the Twin Cities pretty quickly.  Not sure if this is good for the team on the long run, but it will sell jerseys.

I'm for it. It certainly isn't a long term solution, but I don't think any QB on the Vikings team is a long term solution either so let's see what happens. We can still hand the ball off to AP, but now we will have a quarterback that can throw a pass more than ten yards with it being in the vicinity of the receiver.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2009, 01:41 PM »
Look this is a team that is built around defense and a running game with a good o-line.

It doesn't hurt to be able to throw the ball 50 yards downfield if the defense stacks the box against the run.

Tavaris Jackson was not really a consistent big play threat, now the ViQueens have one.

They'll be in the playoffs, it'll be fun.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2009, 02:51 PM »
Favre definitely helps the team, assuming he doesn't decide to retire again.  Have fun with him Viqueen fans!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2009, 05:43 PM »
I still think the Giants and Eagles are better.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #190 on: August 18, 2009, 05:59 PM »
I don't...the Vikings lost their best player on Defense in EJ Henderson last year and still almost beat the Eagles in the playoffs last year with basically a rookiee QB.  Favre makes AP all that much more dangerous because now they can't stack the box all day long.  Even though I hate the man I still root for my team and believe they are now the NFC favorites...but mainly because of their Defense and ball control offense

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Giants maybe, Eagles no.  The Vikings need to prove it on the field and all, but they're definitely in the conversation at this point.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2009, 06:08 PM »
I don't...the Vikings lost their best player on Defense in EJ Henderson last year and still almost beat the Eagles in the playoffs last year with basically a rookiee QB.  Favre makes AP all that much more dangerous because now they can't stack the box all day long.  Even though I hate the man I still root for my team and believe they are now the NFC favorites...but mainly because of their Defense and ball control offense

Well, based on those areas, I would argue that the Bears are going to be a match for Vikings.  Similar defense and ball control style, but better coaching than Brad in my opinion.  Cutler provides a similar advantage and is a lot younger than Favre, who has broken down at the end of the last couple seasons.  I think both will be very competitive, but both also lack a strong receiver threat to compliment their QBs.  If the Packers defense has improved in the off season, they'll be right up there too.  Nice to see contenders in our division again regardless.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2009, 06:10 PM »

Well, based on those areas, I would argue that the Bears are going to be a match for Vikings.  Similar defense and ball control style, but better coaching than Brad in my opinion.  Cutler provides a similar advantage and is a lot younger than Favre, who has broken down at the end of the last couple seasons.  I think both will be very competitive, but both also lack a strong receiver threat to compliment their QBs.  If the Packers defense has improved in the off season, they'll be right up there too.  Nice to see contenders in our division again regardless.
I think and have thought for a long time that the Bears D is mightily overrated.  I don't disagree that their team is better with Cutler but Forte needs to prove he isn't a one year wonder and their D needs to get 5 years younger. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19 PM »
I think and have thought for a long time that the Bears D is mightily overrated.  I don't disagree that their team is better with Cutler but Forte needs to prove he isn't a one year wonder and their D needs to get 5 years younger. 
[/quote]

Spoken like a true homer.  ;)  Frankly, I'm skeptical that the Vikes can make the playoffs given Brad's coaching.  I'd trust in Forte's ability more than I trust in Brad's ability to successfully use all the weapons at his disposal.  Also factor in that Favre has not had any time to gel with his new team and has practiced even less than at any point in his career - the Vikes have a lot of question marks as well.