Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 99963 times)

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Offseason 2009
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2009, 05:50 PM »
For once I agree, and I mentioned that I expect a drop off with the passing of JJ, the loss of Dawkins and now the injury to Bradley. Alot of guys are gonna have to mature fast, but I still think they will be top half of the league.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2009, 01:54 PM »
Plaxico Going To The Big House

And I'm not talking about The University of Michigan...

I'm sure he'll be starting for the Eagles in 2011 when he's expected to get out...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2009, 02:46 PM »
I'm sure he'll be starting for the Eagles in 2011 when he's expected to get out...

Hah.  :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 20, 2009, 07:27 PM »
I think Plaxico should be punished for carrying an unlicensed handgun in NYC, but not this severely.  Facts:

1.  He was licensed to carry the handgun in Florida.  That should have factored into the decision.

2.  The gun was not used in the commission of a crime.  He only shot himself and it was by accident.

Unlucky for Plax, a law was recently struck down in the Senate to allow a concealed handgun permit owner to cross state lines without re-applying in a new state.

It just seems like a paperwork thing.  Don't get me wrong, he knew that it was wrong to take that gun to NYC, and he did it anyway.  But if Donte' Stallworth can get in a car DUI and run someone over, taking their life, and get 30 days in jail, then Plax should be able to shoot himself in the leg and get the same sentence or less.

2 years is just a little too severe.  If he pointed that gun at somebody, or used it in a crime, I say throw the book at him, lock him up, and throw away the key.  I wouldn't care if he ever saw daylight again.

But I don't agree with what's happening to him here.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:28 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I think Plaxico should be punished for carrying an unlicensed handgun in NYC, but not this severely.  Facts:

1.  He was licensed to carry the handgun in Florida.  That should have factored into the decision.

2.  The gun was not used in the commission of a crime.  He only shot himself and it was by accident.

Unlucky for Plax, a law was recently struck down in the Senate to allow a concealed handgun permit owner to cross state lines without re-applying in a new state.

It just seems like a paperwork thing.  Don't get me wrong, he knew that it was wrong to take that gun to NYC, and he did it anyway.  But if Donte' Stallworth can get in a car DUI and run someone over, taking their life, and get 30 days in jail, then Plax should be able to shoot himself in the leg and get the same sentence or less.

2 years is just a little too severe.  If he pointed that gun at somebody, or used it in a crime, I say throw the book at him, lock him up, and throw away the key.  I wouldn't care if he ever saw daylight again.

But I don't agree with what's happening to him here.

His Florida license expired in May of 2008 though... so he didn't have a current license to conceal the weapon in any US state at the time. Allegedly the bullet almost his a bouncer at the night club as well. Other people were put at risk.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2009, 11:12 PM »
It was a bit harsh, but he did make a plea deal.  Shame though...he did some stupid things in his career (this being a whopper of one), but compared to Stallworth, Vick, Pac-an Jones he's a saint.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #216 on: August 21, 2009, 03:19 AM »
2 years is just a little too severe.  If he pointed that gun at somebody, or used it in a crime, I say throw the book at him, lock him up, and throw away the key.  I wouldn't care if he ever saw daylight again.

I agree and don't even like the guy.  I think he's a putz for what he did, on a huge level, and I think he did endanger people.  I think 2 years is excessive though, given how lightly I feel other more severe criminals are treated.  Case-in-point, I think Vick deserved more jail time than he got.  Burress needed something to snap his ass into reality...  Maybe 6 months in and a lengthy probation, but like Matt pointed out, those other guys did far worse, and IMO I'd have been really heavy-handed on all of them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Stallworth only got 30 days?!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 21, 2009, 11:13 AM »
I'm fine with 2 years.  There's no reason not to have it registered - he has money to pay people to take care of paperwork, so that's just dumb.  The bullet almost hit someone else, so we write that off, but what if his bullet did hit and maim or kill someone?  In that case, 2 years would seem pretty light.  His actions would have been no different, but the outcome would have been more severe - should we give him more or less jail time based on random chance?   ???

As for Vick, he definitely should have gotten more jail time and a permanent suspension from NFL. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 21, 2009, 01:19 PM »

Yup.  While Vick was a multiple offense and a name brand, I think Stallworth should have got more.  He killed a human being for pete's sake.  But apparently that doesn't matter as much. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2009, 01:28 PM »

Yup.  While Vick was a multiple offense and a name brand, I think Stallworth should have got more.  He killed a human being for pete's sake.  But apparently that doesn't matter as much.  

Absolutely Stalworth should have got more than 30 days. That is a joke, but the two different sentences doesn't have anything to do with a dog's life being greater than a human's life. First of all most of Vick's sentence wasn't because of the dogs getting killed but because of the felony conspiracy charge that went with it. And the intent behind the crimes plays a role too.

What Stalworth did was horrible but you have to look at what they person was thinking when they did the crime. I think comparing Burress' two years to Stalworth's 30 days is way more logical.

That is all I will say in this thread since once again it's gone non football.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:30 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2009, 08:22 PM »
ZOMG!!!!!  Watching Brett Favre warm up for tonight's game wearing a Vikings uni.  Very, very strange to see.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2009, 10:17 PM »
Odd... I've been reading reports about how nobody has hit the new HDTVs at Jerryworld, yet Troy and Joe keep talking about how the Titans and the Cowboys both kept hitting it during their warmups.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 23, 2009, 10:04 PM »
The screen was actually hit during the Cowboys Friday night game.  They had to kick a 'do-over.'

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2009, 02:16 AM »

Yup.  While Vick was a multiple offense and a name brand, I think Stallworth should have got more.  He killed a human being for pete's sake.  But apparently that doesn't matter as much.  

Stallworth did a horrible thing, but it wasn't malicious.  It was a tragic, and very negligent accident.  I've got no sympathy for people who drive drunk, but he's definitely being punished.  His career is for all intents and purposes over.  He's paid a massive settlement.  He'll be under house arrest for two years IIRC.  

Vick bankrolled a dog fighting ring and executed dogs in a number of sickening and essentially evil ways, and he got off easy.  

If Stallworth had killed a human being with any of the malice or intent that Vick employed in fighting and killing dogs, he'd be in jail for life.

As for Plaxico, he was going to get at least 3 years if he didn't plead down to two.  Is it a little harsh for what happend?  Yeah.  But Bloomberg had him in his sights two days after the incident, there was no way he was getting out of legitimate, average-joe type jail time.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:21 AM by Rob »