Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 100139 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2009
« Reply #345 on: October 5, 2009, 05:54 PM »
That is awesome.  I gotta get back to an NFL game soon.
Justin, true fan... I like that! Admit chances are slim, but you're going to enjoy the game anyways! Cool that you are going to the game tonight!

Thanks guys!  I'm pretty excited about lucking my way into tickets for tonight.  If you're watching the game, be on the lookout for two guys in Packer garb waving a green and a gold flag!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 5, 2009, 11:02 PM »
So Scott,
ya gonna come out and buy a Favre Vikings jersey when I pick mine up :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #347 on: October 6, 2009, 01:21 AM »
Good game tonight.  Odd record Favre got tonight...first QB to defeat all 32 NFL teams.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #348 on: October 6, 2009, 01:52 AM »
Hmm, that is an odd record.  Never really thought of that one.

Good for him, that's one of those weird things I'd think you'd be strangely proud of more than other stuff, just because it's so unlikely.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #349 on: October 6, 2009, 03:14 AM »
I too got to go to the game tonight due to some last minute luck.  Weird game...again I thought the Vikings pretty much dominated but let up way too many big plays in the secondary and played way way way too conservatively in the 4th Quarter.

BTW...I think Jared Allen just got another sack :o :o :o  THat dude was unbelieveable.  I wasn't surprised the D shut down Peterson.  They seem to struggle against 3-4's.  What I was surprised by is that the Packers no longer wanted Farve on their team...they quit on him.  Dude still has lots and lots of game.  Good crowd, lots and lots of noise and another good win. The Packers D while it shut down AP...didn't even get a whiff of #4 tonight.  4-0 baby!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 6, 2009, 10:39 AM »
I too got to go to the game tonight due to some last minute luck.  Weird game...again I thought the Vikings pretty much dominated but let up way too many big plays in the secondary and played way way way too conservatively in the 4th Quarter.

BTW...I think Jared Allen just got another sack :o :o :o  THat dude was unbelieveable.  I wasn't surprised the D shut down Peterson.  They seem to struggle against 3-4's.  What I was surprised by is that the Packers no longer wanted Farve on their team...they quit on him.  Dude still has lots and lots of game.  Good crowd, lots and lots of noise and another good win. The Packers D while it shut down AP...didn't even get a whiff of #4 tonight.  4-0 baby!

Where were you sitting?  I could have looked you up!  Good game, but the Vikes definitely put it away in the second half.  The Packers offense actually sliced thru the Vikings pretty well between the 20's, but the Vikes passing game was definitely clicking.  I was surprised to see a complete lack of blitzing on our part - that's the whole key to stopping Favre is getting him rattled and/or forcing him to play from behind.  There was one play where I swear he sat back in the pocket for a good 12 seconds - ridiculous.  I thought some of the calls were suspect (were there ANY penalties against the Vikes?) like the taunting call on their first drive, but overall I attribute the loss to a couple of bad turnovers and inability to put any pressure on Favre.  Will be good to see the rematch at Lambeau!
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 6, 2009, 12:22 PM »
That was an awesome game. Not so thrilled with the play calls by the Vikes at the end, but great outcome.

Gotta disagree on the taunting thing Justin. Your guy standing over I guy talking smack is taunting (and pure stupidity).

And that play where Favre had 12 seconds really was embarrassing.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2009, 12:28 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 6, 2009, 05:23 PM »
I absolutely loved watching Favre stick it to Ted Thompson.  Pure awesome.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 6, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Gotta disagree on the taunting thing Justin. Your guy standing over I guy talking smack is taunting (and pure stupidity).

So you're telling me that none of the Viking players talked smack to any of the Packer players throughout the game?  That was a pretty simply play in the middle of the field - I get major taunting calls or excessive celebration, but that's a pretty subjective call especially early in the game.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 7, 2009, 08:09 AM »

So you're telling me that none of the Viking players talked smack to any of the Packer players throughout the game?  That was a pretty simply play in the middle of the field - I get major taunting calls or excessive celebration, but that's a pretty subjective call especially early in the game.

My computer must have deleted the part where I said no one else taunted anyone else in the game. Just like all other penalties only a handful get called and when you stand right over the guy (don't know if you saw a replay on tv of how blatant it was) then when you get called you can't be too upset.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 7, 2009, 11:51 AM »
My computer must have deleted the part where I said no one else taunted anyone else in the game. Just like all other penalties only a handful get called and when you stand right over the guy (don't know if you saw a replay on tv of how blatant it was) then when you get called you can't be too upset.

I didn't see a replay, so maybe it was more severe than what we saw from our seats.  I'm just a little surprised to see a taunting call on the first Vikings drive - you see guys talking smack throughout the game, but apparently standing over someone makes it much more severe.   ???  I think if there had been a taunting call on the Vikes while the Pack was making their first drive, Viking fans would be sining a different tune about it.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 7, 2009, 11:53 AM »
I think if there had been a taunting call on the Vikes while the Pack was making their first drive, Viking fans would be sining a different tune about it.

I'm sure you're right. And then you would be me and I would be you in this conversation. That's creepy.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 7, 2009, 01:53 PM »
Plus, we (either in the stands or on TV) don't know what was said. I'm sure there are different levels of smack/taunt that maybe the referee didn't care for what was said (of course, that just makes such calls subjective).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #358 on: October 7, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Standing over someone taunting them is often, actually, the reason a call is made...  When you walk away you're giving them the chance to get up, and you can continue your chest-pounding without much of a second look.  But standing over them generally is more likely to start a scuffle. 

Also, the most likely reason for the call early is to "cut the crap" early so nothing escalates.  The officials were ruling a monday night game on national TV, between two heated rivals on a normal night, but also on a night where the one rival's old QB is now on the opposite team.  The early call made sense, trying to reign everyone in from stupidity early so it doesn't get out of hand later.  They even do that at the high school level if they think the game's got a chance of getting more ugly than a taunt, hoping to stop it before it starts.

I don't remember the call that well, but it was maybe a little abrupt.  Still if he was over the guy, that's usually the catalyst for the ref to call it.  Did the calls continue all night like that or no?  I forget now, but I don't recall another one.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #359 on: October 7, 2009, 04:43 PM »
Also, the most likely reason for the call early is to "cut the crap" early so nothing escalates.  The officials were ruling a monday night game on national TV, between two heated rivals on a normal night, but also on a night where the one rival's old QB is now on the opposite team.  The early call made sense, trying to reign everyone in from stupidity early so it doesn't get out of hand later.  They even do that at the high school level if they think the game's got a chance of getting more ugly than a taunt, hoping to stop it before it starts.

This was kind of my thoughts too.  Sort of like a "lets not get too crazy tonight" type of call, the packers just happened to be on the wrong side first. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender