Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 100015 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2009
« Reply #555 on: January 4, 2010, 05:45 PM »
It's Favre in December.   ;D  I think it's actually just an inept Chili, but Favre in December is a good excuse.  He's 40, he does zero training camp work, and he doesn't even stretch before games.  I don't know about Brett, but I'm sure I'd be getting a little tired 4 months in. 

Ohhhhhhh, is that why he threw four more TD's while wrapping up the #2 seed yesterday?

Do you have a point or are you just slow? 

Favre in his first 11 games: 69% completions
Favre in December: 64% completions

Favre in his first 11 games: 3 interceptions
Favre in December: 4 interceptions

Favre in his first 11 games: 10 wins and 1 loss
Favre in December: 1 win and 3 losses

Sure seems like he had trouble playing in December.

Insert:
Quote from: Rob
Ohhhhhhh
here.

Favre looked good yesterday and I think Childress had a much more simplified offense for him.  Hopefully for Viking fans that solves the problem because he's been pretty up and down lately.  If you watched the game, T-Jack was matching Favre's performance when he came in, so I think the Giants inept defense might be a smidge more to blame. 

Scott - I'd agree that he struggles in the cold weather - we saw that the last few years he was with the Packers too.  That said, the Vikes lost in Arizona, Carolina, & Chicago - I'm not sure you can really blame the weather in Carolina and Arizona (though I don't think you can blame just Favre either).  All four Viking losses were away from home, so having HFA and the bye is definitely a huge advantage for the purple. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 4, 2010, 06:37 PM »

Sure I have a point, stat-geek.  Favre, at age 40, is a top 10 QB in the NFL, and probably should be the MVP of the league.  That's the point.

Here's another point, you know the league wants Green Bay / Minny in the NFCC and they definitely want Favre back in the big game.  Look for the Vikings to get all the calls.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #557 on: January 4, 2010, 08:42 PM »
It was like 15 Degrees in Carolina that night

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 4, 2010, 10:01 PM »

It was pretty cold in Chicago the other week when he led two 4th quarter comebacks only to watch AP fumble the game away too.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 5, 2010, 12:42 AM »

Sure I have a point, stat-geek.  Favre, at age 40, is a top 10 QB in the NFL, and probably should be the MVP of the league.  That's the point.

Here's another point, you know the league wants Green Bay / Minny in the NFCC and they definitely want Favre back in the big game.  Look for the Vikings to get all the calls.

They're called facts, Robby.  You should try using the once in a while as they're a lot more reliable than just spouting off crap that doesn't make sense.  For example, how do you rate Favre as only a top 10 QB in the NFL, but think he should be the MVP of the league?  Shouldn't an MVP candidate a little better than top ten at his position?   Favre's had amazing year - best year of his career in fact.  I just said he doesn't play well in December since there's obvious evidence to support it. 

All that said, I think there are better MVP candidates this year:

#1 - Chris Johnson: 11 games with over 100 yards, 2500 total yards, double digit scores.  He's easily the top RB in the league and getting it done with lowly V. Young at the helm.  The only guy shouldering this much of the load for his team is...

#2 - Peyton Manning: Consistently proving that he is the top QB in the league.  He's a threat to score from anywhere on the field and is arguably one of the smartest QBs in history.  Indy clinched top seed early and might have gone undefeated if they hadn't benched Manning.  We saw Indy without Manning the past few weeks and it was not pretty.

#3 - D. Brees threw for 34 TDs (+2 rushing) and almost 4400 yards and didn't even play the whole season.  He is constantly overlooked, but I think he's just about on par with Manning at this point in terms of what he means to the Saints

#4 - I will get a major homer boo for this one and I know it won't happen, but I'll put up A. Rodgers in my top five.  The Packers offensive line stunk for most of the year, Jennings was awful, and outside of the past few weeks, Ryan Grant has barely put up top 20 rushing numbers.  Despite all that. Rodgers has 30 TDs (+ FIVE rushing!), threw for over 4400 yards and is tied with Favre for fewest interceptions among full year starters.  And he's played to the bitter end in every game unlike the other top QB choices.

#5 - This is about where I would slot Favre.  33 TDs, 4200 yards, only 7 INTs - he has had a great season.  My only push back on Favre is that he has tons of talent supporting him:  Very solid offensive line, Shianco and his WRs made some outstanding catches, he's got one of the league's top RBs causing havoc for defenses, and the Vikings defense has been top notch most of the season.  There is some magic to Favre, but I'm not convinced that the Vikes would be doing much worse with someone else in there. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 5, 2010, 12:54 AM »

If you don't see any difference between 37 degrees and 15 degrees, then yes, it was like 15 degrees in Carolina that night.   ;)

For reference:
Pittsburgh Loss: 51 degrees
Arizona Loss: N/A, dome
Chicago Loss: 26 degrees

It was pretty cold in Chicago the other week when he led two 4th quarter comebacks only to watch AP fumble the game away too.

That's right.  AP's fumble lost them the game, not Favre's fumble.  Sounds like Deanna has some competition here!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 5, 2010, 12:57 AM »

Look for the Vikes to get all the calls on their bye week?  Do you mean look for the Packers to get all the calls since they're playing at least one game before a potential rematch?   ???  Damnit Rob, think through the post then write the post.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 5, 2010, 02:03 AM »
They're called facts, Robby.  

Thanks Douchie.

You should try using the once in a while as they're a lot more reliable than just spouting off crap that doesn't make sense.  For example, how do you rate Favre as only a top 10 QB in the NFL, but think he should be the MVP of the league?  Shouldn't an MVP candidate a little better than top ten at his position?    

MVP often goes to the guy who's most important to his team, not the guy with the best numbers.  Chris Johnson should probably be out because his team started 0-6 and they're not in the post season.  Favre over Manning or Brees or what not?  Who knows... but Favre-led-Vikings vs. Tavaris Jackson-led-Vikings shows how valuable he is to that team right now.

Look for the Vikes to get all the calls on their bye week?  Do you mean look for the Packers to get all the calls since they're playing at least one game before a potential rematch?   ???  Damnit Rob, think through the post then write the post.

Are you ******* retarded?  Seriously?

Never mind... Dumb question...

Regardless, there are plenty of writers who agree with me... spend 5 minutes with Google...

Why Brett Favre, Not Manning, Is The 2009 NFL MVP
Favre very well could be the league MVP, for the fourth time in his career.
Favre getting MVP attention
Peterson's Fumbles Improve Favre's MVP Case
Rediscovering My Faith In Favre As MVP
Some could argue he is the league's MVP.

Sure, there are other worthy candidates, and he may very well not get it - but he's right there with the best of them, at age 40, wearing purple, and if they meet in the playoffs, he'll make the Packers his bitch for the third time this year.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2010, 02:11 AM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 5, 2010, 09:56 AM »
Wow, you're an angry elf.  With an obvious hard on for Favre.  Do you even read what you write? 

MVP often goes to the guy who's most important to his team, not the guy with the best numbers. 

Based on your definition, Chris Johnson is a hell of a lot more important to his team than Favre is to the Vikings.  We saw what a T-Jack led team could do against the Giants just last week - looked no different from Favre to me.  You seriously think the drop to a T-Jack lead Vikings is worse than Curtis Painter running the Colts offense?  And while an 8-8 finish isn't stellar, I'm doubting the Titans would be anywhere near a single win this year with L. White at RB.  I'd quote stats, but I know you have no use for facts or numbers.  That is nice that you found 5 or 6 articles about Favre on the internet though - that's really compelling.

Look for the Vikes to get all the calls on their bye week?  Do you mean look for the Packers to get all the calls since they're playing at least one game before a potential rematch?   ???  Damnit Rob, think through the post then write the post.

Are you ******* retarded?  Seriously?
Never mind... Dumb question...

You're right, that is a dumb question.  Just look around next time you hop on the short bus and you'll notice I'm not there with you. 

You said look for the Vikes to get all the calls because the league wants a Packers/Vikings rematch.  If that's the case, then we ought to expect the calls to all be in favor of the Packers to help get them there.  See how I link the cause and effect?  Now you try it.  I hope they do meet up again as I'd love to see the rematch even at the dome.

at age 40, wearing purple, and if they meet in the playoffs, he'll make the Packers Rob his bitch for the third time this year.

Sounds to me like you should replace "Packers" in that sentence with "Rob" in your little fantasy there.  :o

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 5, 2010, 10:04 AM »
I have barely skimmed you two's stuff here, but you're on crack Justin if you think T-Jack was a small drop from Favre.

edit- The part where you said "looked no different to me" I almost wet myself. That's hilarious.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2010, 10:08 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 5, 2010, 10:11 AM »
I have barely skimmed you two's stuff here, but you're on crack Justin if you think T-Jack was a small drop from Favre.

That's the problem with skimming.   ;)  I'm saying it's less of a drop than some of the other MVP candidates, as evidenced last week.  The Vikings have a lot more talent to rely on than most teams.  While T-Jack would make the offense less effective, they'd probably still win most of their games this year.  I just think losing Chris Johnson or Peyton Manning would have a much bigger impact on their respective teams. 

That's my opinion - maybe others believe the Vikings have no talent and Favre is the only reason they're playoff bound.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 5, 2010, 10:15 AM »
I'm not arguing your MVP debate, though for Johnson going 8 and 8 or 7 and 9 eliminates him for me.

But if you watched us this year. AP is not what we had hoped. We are a passing team and so I don't buy the T Jack crap.

We'll trade you T Jack for your practice squad QB.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #567 on: January 5, 2010, 10:58 AM »
I'm with Justin a little bit...TJack and G-Rotte won the division and they were 11-5 last year...no?  I really think it is between Brees and Manning as both are their teams, both teams were stellar and were head and shoulders above the other teams in their leauges.  Favre, Rodgers and Johnson should get votes but I don't think they are anywhere near Manning and Brees.

I also get what Nick is saying in that Peterson 09 is not Peterson 08...so his contribution to the 09 Vikings is pretty profound.  So while he probably isn't #1 or #2, I'd put him at #3.

Johnson had a great season, if the Titans would have switched to Vince in Week 3 or 4, he probably would get more steam.

Rodgers is Brees and Manning Jr...great year statistacally and the Packers made the playoffs...but they lost to the Vikings twice.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 5, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Wow, you're an angry elf.  

I'm not angry, you're just a jackass... calling me Robby like it's cute...  like you're my mother.  Why don't you go **** yourself mmmkay?

Sounds to me like you should replace "Packers" in that sentence with "Rob" in your little fantasy there.

That's real funny considering that my bumbling band of underachievers finished ahead of your super-team.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2010, 11:19 AM by Rob »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 5, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Let's make our picks for this weekend:

Eagles over Cowboys
Pats over Ravens
Packers over Cardinals
Jets over Bengals