Author Topic: How Much is Too Much?  (Read 55294 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: How Much is Too Much?
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2011, 03:50 PM »
Speedermike, please keep it to the Pit...  No politics here, period.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Quote from: Jesse James link=topic=20816.msg502591#msg502591
I like your optimism on it Jman, but part of that hope's fading for me.  Price fluctuations aren't new though, so you're right.  We'll see I guess.  :-\  I'm seriously just riding this out right now, and waiting to see if I'm going to be here in a year or not.

I don't know ...just seems like we've seen this trend play out before.  Price goes up too much.  People gripe.  Price comes back down a little and holds until next Jan.

That's how you boil a live frog. Drop a frog in boiling water it will jump out. Drop a frog in cold water and slowly up the temp, the frog boils alive.

Sa
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2011, 05:28 PM »
To me, you have to look at how much debt you are building buying this stuff. You can't sell any of it at a profit right now. The market is flooded. None of it is rare. Maybe its time to stop buying toys for a few years??? How many of you own a house without a mortage and are 100% debt free? No offense guys. I love you all but maybe its time to stop?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Are you drunk right now?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Are you drunk right now?

That made me almost spit my drink.

I agree on the frog boiling somewhat, but I still think the line would be hitting a threshold that people, regardless of increment, would be saying "enough is enough".

On the debt thing...  Everyone in the U.S. pretty much carries debt as a way of life.  It's generally only elderly who don't or actually can't.  If that were the larger factor over the price of figures, people shouldn't have been buying any of it in the first place.  To me, if you're over your head in debt you need to avoid toys regardless.  And anything else frivilous till you get out and can control it.  I think most people probably feel that way...  It's just what you should do for your own well-being long-term.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2011, 02:04 AM »
Not drunk. I just don't believe it's ok to carry unsecured debt. Its not the way I live. I believe the only thing to get into debt for is property. Even that I just paid off. So I'm 100% debt free at 40.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Sorry Jesse.  I slipped.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Phurby, I agree about your debt comments.  I will still have a mortgage for 20 years, but outside of that, I'm just about debt free aside from a monthly credit card bill which could get paid down at any time.

Personally, I do not put toys on the credit card.  Cash only.  And back when I didn't have the cash, I didn't buy the figs.

I have NEVER thought of figures as an investment.  They're mine to keep forever.  The investment is the joy they bring me as I see the collection get bigger and bigger, and great figures like Ezavan finally show up.

That being said....at 10.99 a figure, I will not be buying stuff that is "slightly" new.  I won't buy Ceremony Han, I have not bought any TVC clones, or the ROTS Obi-Wan.  I will not buy the Super Battle Droid.  I will be picking and choosing, which I've never done before.

At 8.99, I think I might be a completist, but 10.99 (or 11.99, in the NYC area) no.  Hasbro's lost me after 16 years.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2011, 06:48 PM »
I just don't believe it's ok to carry unsecured debt. Its not the way I live. I believe the only thing to get into debt for is property.

Then be happy with your house and stay out of the business world.  I will leave you with that.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2011, 08:33 PM »
I'm working towards owning multiple houses. I'm doing fairly well in the corporate world. At least I know I won't be forclosed on if I lose my job for an extended period of time. Something I do is pay off the credit card every month so they can't charge me 29% interest. I use their money for free. My credit card company hates me because of that.  ;)  I also keep my at least a year's worth of liquid assets available. It's my FU account for when I get tired of working for my current company. Just future proofing my investments.

The thing that worries me though is that I've just completed my 9th Star Wars collection liquidation for a fellow collector's X-wife. I hear the story over and over how boxes and boxes of stuff just keep arriving at the house all addressed to him and no where to put them. Pretty soon simple things like telephone service and electricity get turned off. She has no idea what is going on. She finds out that they have a huge credit card bill and no money in the bank. This goes on for a while and the family get separated. She comes to me to help sell his Star Wars collection. We typically get about 45-55% of the retail price of the stuff. The older stuff like EP1 is given away to charity. She is trying to rebuild her and her children's life and he is living with some friends or his parents. Another family destroyed. Of course, there were other reasons for the divorse but being burried in stormtroopers with no lights pushes things in that direction really well.

I just see these things as signs of "How much is too much?" of this hobby.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Hmmm, yeah I'd agree with that.  I can't say I know one person who has had that happen to them, but yeah...  It's bad.

But that's applicable to every aspect of life...  Guy wants a Harley, buys a Harley on credit, maybe shouldn't have...  Family buys a home and doesn't plan for the rate variances...  Family buys a car they can't afford or which costs too much to even keep on the road...  It happens a lot.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2011, 09:31 PM »
I was more referring to "it takes money to make money."

For example, buying a business for $1 million dollars with credit and making $4 million on the deal - good debt to carry.  I consider that "debt" overhead.

Buying action figures on credit cards with no way to pay the bills - impossibly stupid.

Being "100% debt-free at 40" is fine and good, but you can have a ton of debt at 40 and be making even more money than if you didn't carry any at all.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2011, 10:36 PM »
The thing that worries me though is that I've just completed my 9th Star Wars collection liquidation for a fellow collector's X-wife. I hear the story over and over how boxes and boxes of stuff just keep arriving at the house all addressed to him and no where to put them. Pretty soon simple things like telephone service and electricity get turned off. She has no idea what is going on. She finds out that they have a huge credit card bill and no money in the bank. This goes on for a while and the family get separated. She comes to me to help sell his Star Wars collection. We typically get about 45-55% of the retail price of the stuff. The older stuff like EP1 is given away to charity. She is trying to rebuild her and her children's life and he is living with some friends or his parents. Another family destroyed. Of course, there were other reasons for the divorse but being burried in stormtroopers with no lights pushes things in that direction really well.

That's not too much. That's just totally pathetic. As soon as toys (or anything non-essential) becomes the top "priority" for someone, to the point of being unable to pay for necessities, it's just totally screwed up. To know that a family was screwed over because of a guy's toy buying is even worse.

I don't hide my age, so if you bother to look you'll see that I'm not one of those guys that is in the "real world" just yet. I'm fortunate enough to have my college being paid for, as well as other things that help me out financially. (hand-me-down car, for starters) However, I do know the importance of prioritizing how money is spent. You won't catch me buying an action figure if I need money for gas or food, or if I have some other expense coming up. I also don't spend beyond my means. I don't have a credit card, so if I can't afford something, I don't get it. If I want it badly enough, I set some money aside and save for it.

Phruby, it's an interesting thought about debt accumulation due to buying action figures. However, I don't see it that way. As was mentioned by someone earlier, I'm paying for the enjoyment that I get out of the toys, which is quite a bit. Same thing with music, movies, and the occasional book. Plus I'm not always losing money when I sell my toys. I find that if i'm patient, I can get 75%-90% of the cost of my loose stuff. Plus there are the "rare" items (Revan, Malak) and big ticket pieces (Turbo Tank, Gunship) that end up skyrocketing in value.

I don't think I've hit the point where I have too much stuff, but I'm always re-evaluating and slimming down my collection. I know I've hit a point where I'm scaling back on how much new stuff I buy, but that's mostly due to the recent $9.00 and $10.00 price hikes. I would've liked 6 of the recent Vintage wave five figures (the whole wave), but I ended up getting only two. When a toy is costing the same as two burritos, 1/3 tank of gas, a trip to the movies, or a Bluray at a great sale price, I start to reevaluate things.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Why go into debt to pay for figures when you can just sell your blood.  I save lives and get to play with my toys.  It's win win.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2011, 11:45 PM »
I say take that a step further, and become a lab rat.  Let them test stuff on you.  You're helping create breakthroughs in modern medicine.  And sure you're twitchy now, your finger and toenails fell out, and half your face is numb and makes you drool a little, but you have to turn that those lemons into lemonade.

And by lemonade, I of course mean toys.