Author Topic: How Much is Too Much?  (Read 55299 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: How Much is Too Much?
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2011, 09:30 PM »
I dunno...  1 case here and there sells, but I've found that when things hit in any quantity, they don't sell like they did 4 or 5 years ago.  Can the line thrive off stores getting only a handful of cases of any given wave?  I mean, a figure recall like this year was something you used to only see after a movie line's release had saturated the market.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Took out a second mortgage today so I have the cash when I find this wave.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: January 3, 2012, 11:38 AM »
So, just to confirm, as has been pointed out in a few other threads, Hasbro's own website is now confirming the $9.99 MSRP for the Vintage Collection, starting with the TPM Stuff.

Thought I'd move the price bitching back to this thread for easier discussion...  looking back through this thread, a lot of folks said $10 would be the max...  anyone definitely quitting now?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 3, 2012, 11:47 AM »
For me I think all this timing is perfect. A push of CW and Prequel stuff and price raises at a time when I don't have space to put stuff any more just makes it easy to cut way down on what I buy. I'm still a sucker for the Vintage so I'll pay the $10, but if I stop being a "basic figure completist" on CW and Movie Heroes (or whatever it's called) and then cut most deluxe and vehicles and BPs and etc. that I have numerous versions of, I should more than offset the Vintage fig price hike.

Thanks for giving me the nudge I needed Hasbro.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 3, 2012, 01:18 PM »
Weren't vintage figures already $9.99?  Feels like I've paid that the last 3 months, so not a big change in my opinion.  I'll probably wait for sales to buy doubles, but I'm not going to change my purchasing much.  The thing is, we may be paying more per figure, but we're all buying a lot fewer figures than they used to.  If I buy 100 figures at $10 each. I'm still spending less on SW overall than when I was buying 200 figures at $7 each. 

Now if they go back to releasing 10+ waves per year, then I might have to rethink things...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #140 on: January 3, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Well I'm definitely down to "1 of anything I want", at the very least.  I'd already cut back, now I'll just be cut back even further if I even stick around.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 3, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Yeah, I may not change buying habits too much - but I will be more selective.  Just looking what is on the horizon for this year, I'll be primarily sticking to the Vintage Collection anyways and I'll just get more selective there.  I remember when the VOTC line first came out and they were $10 - it seemed high, but at the same time the figures just seemed so awesome at the time it wasn't as bad.  Plus, it was only a handful of figures a year.  I've always been in favor of a slower release schedule each year, particularly now with the higher prices.  I know it is always fun anticipating the next wave (and I do that too), but when I look back at the POTF2 years (or even vintage) where there were sometimes 12-20 new figures a year, just continually shipped, and that doesn't sound so bad.  Granted, those were different times for toys (and action figures in particular), and those numbers may be a bit too low - but 40 or less is fine with me.

We're getting to the point where they are covering so much of what we want or wanted, I can get a bit more selective too.  I found the part of the TPM wave at Target last week, and looking at the figures I missed out on I started to wonder how many of them I actually needed.  Sure, the Daultay Dofine figure looks really well done, but do I care enough about him to pick him up?  Not sure yet.  I'm starting to get away from the "gotta have them all" with the prequel era stuff, and I just don't have the attachment to the background, "blink and you'll miss them" characters like I do with the OT.  Not that I've skipped much from TVC (I'd have to look if I skipped any "new" figures, I don't think so), but if we're looking at a consistent $10 pricepoint I might start to.  The higher price is more acceptable to me if we're always getting high quality, and not 60 figures a year.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2012, 02:44 PM by Brian »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: January 3, 2012, 02:32 PM »
I have room to cut back further, I just don't know that I see the value now is my problem...  Is the one figure I get, really worth basically wasting $10?  $9 was questionable...  $8 was tolerable.  But is any modern figure really $10?  I dunno.  That's where I'm at now...  It's not so much the cost, as what is delivered for it.

I look around and think how Hasbro "cuts costs" in paint aps, features...  Sure you get a nice articulated figure, but you see the little stuff they cut, and then they do jack up the price too...  that is disappointing and makes me question if it's even worth it now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 3, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Yeah, I see what you mean Jesse.  I think you mentioned it elsewhere, but other lines (LEGO, etc.) seem to give you a little more value for your money.  $10 is crazy when you think about it.  I was going through everything over the holidays (and continuing too), including old receipts I had, cardbacks, figures, etc. - and seeing that I used to be able to get figures at WM for $4.77 to where we are now, that's crazy that we're up to $10 now.  Granted, the figures are better for the most part, but double the price is a big jump over that time.  All lines have seen that I think, but SW is where most of my money goes, so it is more noticeable there.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: January 3, 2012, 02:51 PM »
I'm ok around 8 and the current quality level.  For $10 you should really get the works with any figure, 2-packs of some. 

Do you really look at Daultay Dofine and think, "Wow that's $10 worth of action!" though?  :)

That's where my dilemma is.

Definitely looks like the old armies are kaput too.  I cannot fathom buying extras now short of sale prices.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 3, 2012, 03:02 PM »
I was already looking at just a handful of figures I was gonna get, if I can find them. The increase puts some of those in the "not sure" category, such as the deleted scenes bunch.

I'm still down for Evazan, Death Star Trooper and Kithaba. But I'd even try to get them cheaper off ebay if I can.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 3, 2012, 04:51 PM »
That's odd, the TPM figures I picked up at Target were still $8.99, I guess it pays if you snag them early sometimes. Plus not having any kind of reset/DPCI change.  :D

I wonder if they'll raise the MSRP on Clone Wars figures as well?

edit: NM, I see TCW has gone up to $8.99 per figure also. Crazy.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2012, 04:53 PM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 3, 2012, 05:54 PM »
I'll still get the figures I really want, what this does is cut back on my army building and custom fodder.  But TRU will still have their decent sales from time to time - that's when I bought custom fodder this past year.  And maybe Wal-Mart and Target will still sit around $9 this year for basic TVC price.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 3, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I will not be deterred.

I've sculpted and casted my own parts, $10 is still a bargain for these vintage figures.

I don't even know where the ceiling is for me to not want them at this point, but it's certainly higher than $10.  And this is a drastic turnaround from a couple years back when the price hikes really started.  Back then I was outraged.  Now I think that if a figure cost $2 extra and you buy 50 figures throughout the year, is $100 really going to stop me from collecting these things that I love?  Nah.  It was just shocking then, and now I expect it.

I actually hope more people do quit, then maybe I'll see a figure on the pegs more than twice all year.

Funny unintended consequence, this is actually raising the cost of operating for scalpers too.  I wonder how much more they can raise the price to actually make this worth it for them to crawl out of their mom's basement in the morning and go try to beat legitimate fans to the toy aisle.  This may also contribute to figures being more readily available.  Because 2011 was the worst year ever for this.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2012, 06:50 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Is the end near?
« Reply #149 on: January 3, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Just because Hasbro recommends a retail price of $9.99 doesn't mean retailers will follow.

Personally I've already pared down my collecting to what I consider to be definitive figures. I stopped the "one of each" habit years ago. $9.99 is more than I've been willing to pay this year but when I see 5" figures from "The Walking Dead" going for $14.99 and 6" figures from Mattel going for almost $20, it's starting to look like a bargain.

That said, isn't the current license agreement supposed to run through 2016? That gets Hasbro to the 3D release of TESB. That could explain the recent push to get new ROTJ figures tooled. They could choose to extend the license for a year or two if they think it's worth it... or not. I know they've claimed in the past that lightsabres are their biggest selling category but I'm willing to bet the action figure line comes in a close second.
Post sober.