Author Topic: Walmart Legacy Collection AT-ST  (Read 40677 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Walmart Legacy Collection AT-ST
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2009, 10:36 PM »
I'm posting this as an interesting comparison between a lifesize prop/set prop, and a model of the AT-ST...  This is why there's "fudge room" in the world of props/models from films. :)  Notice how the cockpit of the model is elongated compared to the lifesize prop with Chewbacca popping out the top?

See how the forward thicker armor plate of the lifesize prop is more truncated than the model?  Same movie, but that little detail gives two distinct impressions of the "length" of the cockpit from chinguns to top hatches.

There's other little subtle differences, and with other props and their models too (landspeeder, AT-TE, Jedi Starfighters, Airspeeders/Snowspeeders, etc.).

There's subtle differences between the models and the props that set them apart, and fudge up the supposed "scale" numbers.

Looking again at the toy:

It has the more truncated look of the lifesize prop than the film model. 

Also on the cockpit arrangement.  The cockpit is also design to hold figures that "don't give".  This is a similar problem that 1:18 military toys have run into, making scale tanks/figures.  The figures often have a difficult time fitting into their respective cockpit or hatch due to the fact that action figures are solid and don't give, whereas a real person's body/clothing shift and conform to fit into smaller openings, small seats, etc.

Hasbro's design of the cockpit is I'm sure partially due to the design of the toy (removable guns, removable "head", etc.), studiness, etc.  But I'm also sure there's the issue of fitting two figures inside what by all diagrams, and the films themselves, shows to be a pretty cramped cockpit.  They seem to have done away with the space in the back (where the Ewoks should go), to give extra room for the pilots to rest with their legs straight out and fit easier into the cockpit (probably thinking about Chewbacca too, a fairly large figure). 

I'm still leaning towards this being to-scale, especially with the gap between models and lifesize props.  This looks to me fairly spot on.  The designer says an inch or so, but I'm holding to that being its height at ease.  I think sitting up on its "haunches"(sp?) it's pretty darn accurate in height.  I'm anxious to see one opened, in person, to compare with figures, measurements, etc.  Finding SW scale on vehicles can be a real problem to solve at times.  The AT-ST is sort of like the ROTS Jedi Fighters, in that it seems to change at times too, adding to the confusion.  Right now though, I'm pretty excited for this piece.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:46 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2009, 11:41 AM »
LOOOOVE IT!

Got to play with it too. Brian, the guy who designed it, is really cool and really put a lot of love and care into it. He can tell you off the top of his head how close it is to true scale with a 3 3/4 inch figure (an inch and a half if I remember correctly.) I think he had as much fun showing me the piece as I did playing with it.

Customizers note: The head (cockpit) comes off so that you can use the legs for a custom log crushed head if you build one.

The figure is just a repaint though, I did confirm that. I'm actually okay with it.

I also got paid a great compliment. Many of you know how much of an Imperial enthusiast I am and hopefully you've already seen my 219 photo album on 'scum of my battalion. I was starting to tell Brian about my collection and the album when his jaw dropped. "That's you?" he said. "I spent over an hour looking through your photos." He shook my hand and said some other nice things which didn't register as I was too flattered. Very cool.

Um, link please? I'd love to peruse those pics too.

There's a link in the collections section here, but for convenience, here's the 'Scum link to my album.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2009, 02:36 PM »
There's a link in the collections section here, but for convenience, here's the 'Scum link to my album.

Awesome my friend. Your Imperial collection rivals my clone collection. While I certainly own a lot of Imperials, I know I don't own as many regular Stormtroopers as you.

I'll have to take some time and take pics of my clone armies. Though since it's in storage right now, that may be a distant prospect at best. (Hopefully when we buy a home and I actually have some room to display a good portion of my stuff)

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Noticed that Scum has a new gallery up.  The coloring doesn't look as bad as the earlier packaging shots unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, but still doesn't look too great either.  Still - I'm looking forward to picking this up....if I can find one.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Looks to me like the best $39.99 item Hasbro has ever made.  I'm all about a small army of these.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2009, 04:11 PM »
Looks to me like the best $39.99 item Hasbro has ever made.  I'm all about a small army of these.

Well, that's not saying much, but $40 feels about right for this.  I'll probably pick one up if I can find it.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Yeah, these have been found overseas in Europe if I'm not mistaken.

It looks fantastic.  I'm excited to try and get three if I can I think, and weather two up substantially.  The paintjob is pretty attrocious and the "toe cutters" aren't real accurate, but the walker itself is outstanding and quite tall.  I'm impressed with everything but the pilot and paintjob.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2009, 05:05 PM »
I'm down for two of these.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2009, 06:51 PM »
I'm definitely looking forward to this one as well.  Like others have mentioned, it actually feels right at that price, which can't be said of a lot these days it seems.  Heck, I think I paid that much for the POTJ AT-ST (with Speederbike) that was at TRU back in those days.  Better than the markup we're seeing on things like the ARC 170, etc.  I've said it before, but I hope we see more of these OT vehicle re-dos in the years to come.  Hopefully these will be readily available at everyone's WMs.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2009, 08:44 PM »
I think out of everything we've seen this year, I'm excited about this the most. $40 is a fantastic price for this, IMO. I just hope it can easily be found.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2009, 03:05 AM »
Nice scale, IŽll definetely buy one. Only I wish it hadnŽt come with decals inside the cockpit, because we wait for a new era of an all sculpt toys both in interior and exterior.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2009, 05:01 PM »
Heck, I think I paid that much for the POTJ AT-ST (with Speederbike) that was at TRU back in those days.

Pretty sure those sets were $29.99 IIRC.  Great set it was for the packaged collector.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Heck, I think I paid that much for the POTJ AT-ST (with Speederbike) that was at TRU back in those days.

Pretty sure those sets were $29.99 IIRC.  Great set it was for the packaged collector.   :)

Oh yeah, I think you're right about that price.  Still...not too bad I guess considering what some of the other ships have been jumping to lately.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Alright, what's the deal? Where is this guy? Anyone suppose that the delay could be fallout from the problems WM had with the last set of exclusives not being in the system and losing some profit?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2009, 01:39 PM »
That's what I would like to know...  Having collected the 21st Century Toys "Xtreme Detail" military line, which was until recently sold at Wal Mart, I am used to not finding "exclusive" items at my area stores for months after the release date, if at all.  Hasbro, however, has usually performed better.  I've seen all the exclusive SW items released so far on the shelves at my area stores, so I find it odd that the AT-ST has not yet come out.  There aren't even any on eBay from the US yet. 

It was surprising to me that TRU (at least in my area) got the new TIE Interceptor and Gunship exclusives so quickly, so I thought Wal Mart was going to do the same with the AT-ST, but so far nothing.  The arrival of the AT-ST is probably only a short time away, probably in late October or November.  In the mean time, I will continue to wait  and check my Wal Marts weekly around the restock days.  The AT-ST will be out soon enough and hopefully in large enough numbers. 
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D