Author Topic: Walmart Legacy Collection AT-ST  (Read 40690 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart Legacy Collection AT-ST
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2009, 02:49 AM »
Overall I think the likeness is great.  It's not perfect, but it's a massive improvement over the last one.  Your images really underscore the paint issues though.  I really hope this isn't the final deco for any version.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2009, 02:53 AM »
It's interesting...  A couple points.

First, the shot of the film prop walking shows how significant a difference in height the walker has when it's walking.  Notice the hip joints raise the "body" of it up by a bit.  Compared with the toy, the propotions of the cockpit to the model seem accurate, as do the legs and feet.  The compressed height of the toy can be attributed to the walker being in an "at ease" stance, making it appear short, but in reality it's not.

The small cockpit image from the slide is interesting as well...  I compared it some with the Incredible Cross Sections when I got home tonight.  I'm having some graphics issues with my PC, so I'm not 100% on this but the toy AT-ST's cockpit is truncated from the back of the seat to the rear.  There IS space in a "real" AT-ST for 2 passengers as we saw in the films.  There's no seating though, it's more just room behind the seats incase you must use it.  Anyway, the cockpit is NOT using a significant bit of space behind the seats.  I'm not sure why that would be, probably a design issue with the toy, but it makes the cockpit slightly inaccurate (or maybe there's more armor plating back there now?  :) ), as the film cockpit had room for people.  It's very cramped though.  The ICS matches up fairly well to the cockpit details, for the most part.  There's some creative liberty on the part of Hasbro, but the overall dimensions inside appear correct.

For the most part the outside details match up to the film model fairly well...  The viewports seem sized right, the hand rail around the command hatch, the command hatch itself, etc., etc.

I'd say the vehicle is pretty spot-on, just eyeballing it.  The real tell-tale is packaged shot, with a figure though.  The figure's raised in the packaging to be more visible, while the walker's height isn't fully extended upward as well.  It's significantly taller than the figure then.  i'd say the picture with the figure standing next to it, has the figure photoshopped into the image, not photographed with the walker.  The packaging image seems to imply that anyway.

I'm liking this a lot more right now.  I had my skeptical views at first.  I'm now very intrigued.

As deco goes, what we've seen from Hasbro thus far is attrocious. :)

Deco's usually the last thing I gripe on, on vehicles (figures I find it more important).  On vehicles I can usually fix it.  It's nowhere near a movie prop though.  It needs a SERIOUS blackwash, as all the AT-ST's on Endor had the black wash look "runny grease/oil" looking stains.

Also blast marks, of which this toy appears to have none while the Endor AT-ST's all had one here or there, usually on front armor plating.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Wow, I'm totally down for 2 of these. Maybe 3 depending on price.

THIS is the AT-ST we've been looking for.

I'm SO glad Hasbro is retiring the vintage mold.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Again, the sculpt looks awesome, but Hasbro has been running out of cash when it comes to paint jobs.  Even the BMF is very flat, and without much weathering and detailing...I worry that they just can't afford the extra paint apps these days...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2009, 12:47 PM »
Is there any information on the height of this thing when it's in a regular standing mode?  I'm going to need to figure out how much room to leave on the shelves before I reassemble them. 

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Thanks for the comparison pics, JJ.  That may have solidified my decision on whether to get one to accompany the update I made.  If you don't mind, I'm going to post your ref pic with mine to compare paintjobs:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2009, 05:30 PM »
Yeah, the paintjob is not the best, but that's also a prototype so I can let that slide.  Plus even if it were just an accurate grey color, no weathering, I'd be ok with that ultimately.  The production item may be more impressively decorated.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2009, 10:07 PM »
Not the best paint job, but still, I'm glad we finally have a new AT-ST. I haven't picked up any Star Wars toys for more than the past six months, but that'll have to change with this. Oh, and the new Willrow.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2009, 12:14 AM »
I really like this set.  Not sure how I would fit it into a diorama though - it will look ridiculously big versus an AT-AT from Hoth or even next to the teeny Ewok Villiage.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2009, 01:29 AM »
It appears to have opening viewports. Looks pretty neat. I don't have room to collect the vehicles, but this does look nice.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2009, 11:48 AM »
LOOOOVE IT!

Got to play with it too. Brian, the guy who designed it, is really cool and really put a lot of love and care into it. He can tell you off the top of his head how close it is to true scale with a 3 3/4 inch figure (an inch and a half if I remember correctly.) I think he had as much fun showing me the piece as I did playing with it.

Customizers note: The head (cockpit) comes off so that you can use the legs for a custom log crushed head if you build one.

The figure is just a repaint though, I did confirm that. I'm actually okay with it.

I also got paid a great compliment. Many of you know how much of an Imperial enthusiast I am and hopefully you've already seen my 219 photo album on 'scum of my battalion. I was starting to tell Brian about my collection and the album when his jaw dropped. "That's you?" he said. "I spent over an hour looking through your photos." He shook my hand and said some other nice things which didn't register as I was too flattered. Very cool.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2009, 04:16 PM »
Ugh...another Walmart exclusive. Does Walmart ever offer their exclusives online?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2009, 04:21 PM »
Sometimes. 

The A-Wing and Gunship were offered online, in addition to the GH Cantina Cinema Sets from a while ago.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2009, 04:34 PM »
Ouside of deco/driver I am loving this. Hopefully the deco will improve a bit in production. I am definitely getting two of these, that's more than enough. I am thinning down on prequel era vehicles to make room for more OTC based stuff. It's a nice feeling how I can actually pass on redecos now when before I would automatically but them.

Bummer about the driver. However when the new scanning crew dude comes out I plan on slapping the UBP AT-ST Driver helmets to have accurate/updated version until the real one comes out.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2009, 04:39 PM »
That's till you find out Hasbro's plan for the Scanner dude.  he will be a limited production figure, only 50 made, one for each state.  The 2nd box variant will be part of a limited edition 2011 promotion as well.  ::) 

Hey, I like him...  Something is bound to go wrong.