Author Topic: Target SotE TIE Fighter (new cockpit)  (Read 19970 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Target SotE TIE Fighter (new cockpit)
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2009, 06:17 PM »
I don't know that anyhting does, besides being white with a red window...  It's fairly clean too.  Not much to it.  To me, this ship's too big to piss around with eu decorations.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Likely a pass for me as well, but if they do a more movie accurate deco in the future I might pick one up.  I have one of the large winged TIEs (TRU white-ish version), and it is tough to just get that one displayed (without hanging it I guess).  Looks nicely done though.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 03:06 AM »
LOVE the white paintjob but the red kills it. If I find it on clearance I'll definitely snag it but at full price it's a pass.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2009, 12:55 PM »
Man, some shots make the window look alright while the main one has the red as an obvious detail. It looks like they were going for a tinted look and instead got a full red window. Anyway, both of the TIEs disappoint me. The blue Interceptor and red window TIE... for every great product, Hasbro drops the ball on another. At least the pilots are the Evo figures, and the cockpits are wonderful improvements.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Skittles TIE Fighters.  Alrighty then.  I still need to get a big wing TIE, but this is not it.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2009, 08:14 PM »
It looks like they were going for a tinted look and instead got a full red window.

Since this is a Target exclusive, is it just their way of adding a red piece to make it more Target-ish?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2009, 08:28 PM »
Knowing Target, I'm sure they liked the fact that it had their colors, but Hasbro has confirmed that it is supposed to look like the SotE comic TIEs:

(image borrowed from Jayson/YakFace)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 11:30 AM »
You know what? The coloring isn't so bad. I'll get one, but I won't go crazy about this until a regular version hits the shelves.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 5, 2009, 08:05 PM »
The big wing TIE, despite being a vast improvement over the old mold, still bothers me due to the apparent oversizing of the wings (as opposed to the old undersizing!).  It was hard to definitively decide if they were too big, so I screencaptured a couple TIEs from ANH, and measured the wing proportion to the cockpit.  I did the same thing with the big wing toy.  Turns out that the film model has an EXACT 3 to 1 ratio of wing height to cockpit height, while the toy has just over a 4 to 1 ratio.  I KNEW the wings were too big!

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 5, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Nice comparison, but I loves me the new large wings after 25+ years of the mini version.  To scale or not - it's a toy so I don't really care.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 6, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Excellent detective work. The different is a lot less obvious than the undersized wing though, so I can forgive it happily.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 6, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Absolutely- I didn't officially measure the old mold, but at first glance it looks like a 2-to-1 ratio!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #57 on: August 6, 2009, 12:28 PM »
I do not get why Hasbro has Frankensteined so many new parts to an old tool. Just remake the whole damn body already. I get some of the earlier upgrade but do it right now. Each realease had a new part but it's out of hand now. Make the ultimate version and call it a day.

- 95 Rerelease was great for the time
- 20o2 Imperial Dogfight retooled the rear cockpit to remove the handle which was a welcomed change.
- 2005 The Big Wing comes along to smoke the others. That color was the best in my mind!
- 2006 The Big Wing v2 comes along. That color was also nice, more ANH.
- The small wing white Tie fighter was a nice homage to the vintage one for the 30th TAC line. I got it.
- The Big Wing White was really pointless.
- The Previews Pirate one was too as it lacked the most crucial detail of the R2 unit in the back
- Now it's back with the red vampire windshield looking too whiteish with a killer cockpit.

Enough already. Just make it movie accurate with all of those nice upgrades so I can happily invest in four. While this overall is very nice the color is making me hesitant. I wish they would match the upcoming Interceptor Blue. That one I will be buying a few of.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: August 6, 2009, 04:19 PM »
The big wing TIE, despite being a vast improvement over the old mold, still bothers me due to the apparent oversizing of the wings (as opposed to the old undersizing!).  It was hard to definitively decide if they were too big, so I screencaptured a couple TIEs from ANH, and measured the wing proportion to the cockpit.  I did the same thing with the big wing toy.  Turns out that the film model has an EXACT 3 to 1 ratio of wing height to cockpit height, while the toy has just over a 4 to 1 ratio.  I KNEW the wings were too big!

To be fair though, that's one model...  There's everything from "lifesize" comparisons through matte paintings/actors, to about 5 other different scales of model that could be compared...  And they're not all the same scale to one another, much less Hasbro's toy being right.

I will still consider their new TIE Fighters "to-scale" based on that.  It's like the Jedi Fighter having three different scales, or the AT-ST, or the AT-AT, the Millenium Falcon, Queen's Starship, Naboo Fighters, etc., etc.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 7, 2009, 10:44 AM »
I do not get why Hasbro has Frankensteined so many new parts to an old tool.

$$$

The making of. Because suckers like me will happily buy each new version as it comes out, and sometimes more than one.