Author Topic: Building a Home Theater  (Read 2472 times)

SilverZ

Building a Home Theater
« on: February 23, 2004, 01:22 AM »
Phew, so I finally wrapped up a project I've been working on in my apartment for several months now - my new home theater. Ok, I guess it isn't really a dedicated home theater, since it has to fit in an apartment living room, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. This is something I've wanted for a long, long time, and never have been able to really do that well until now. So, I put together a page with all the pics and thought that I'd share here. I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys would care to share!

And the OT DVD viewing party is a done deal.  ;)

Jared's Homepage

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Home Theater
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 02:00 AM »
that sure is one sweet setup you have there, jared... puts mine to shame  :-[

actually, i love my personal setup, and the only thing i have left to upgrade is my tv... i sure ain't getting what you got, but i would love to get a dlp setup. i'm thinking about upgrading my old 36" rca tv to a nice 50" lcd projection that we have at my job... it's going to break my bank at around $2400 but it just looks so damn nice. i just have to see if i can even fit it into my apartment. if not, then maybe it's time to move out  ;)

i have the polk rti-70 in the front, and for me they are loud enough and powerful enough for my living room that i didn't even bother with a sub... they have the downfiring bass ports built in anyway. i'm using a csi30 center, fxi-30's for surrounds and  some bose 301's for rear (since i had them from a previous system, and they are awesome speakers) all running through a harman kardon avr330. i just love the 7.1 surround, i couldn't believe what a difference it is over 5.1. i love it... i was going to go with a denon, but just couldn't afford it. but they make some really nice stuff.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 02:46 AM »
This is my favorite part:

The screen is suspended!

Mounting the screen case on the ceiling required drilling 4 holes for toggle-bolts into the plaster-based ceiling, which took most of our time. Then, with the bolts attached to the dog-ear plates at the extreme ends of the case, we walked the case up to the ceiling using 2 step ladders, one person supporting the weight of the case above head while another aligned, inserted, and secured the toggle bolts in place. I couldn't have done this without the help of Matt C! I still owe him for the help and patience.

You forgot to mention my big manly muscles that were able to hold that behemoth over my head for a half hour while you were drilling your ceiling holes all over the place (and not very centered, I might add  :P)...  Still think we should've drilled them a little further through the ceiling, and up through the floor of that hottie lawyer chick who lives directly above you!  That would've been an even better viewing experience than this multi-million dollar theater you just put together...   8)

Well, I must say that your home theater project was well worth it Jared.  Having the chance for the premiere viewings on that thing was indeed a privelege!  Insane setup, and the most amazing picture and sound quality I've ever seen.  So get the candy, soda, and popcorn ready (and recliner), 'cause my ass is coming over for some serious movie watching in the future!  We can warm that bad boy up with the LOTR EEs, before the other good stuff finally shows up in September...   8)

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 03:54 AM »
Thanks for the compliment on the setup! I'm really happy with how its turned out, even if it means Ramen for the next few months.   :-[

actually, i love my personal setup, and the only thing i have left to upgrade is my tv... i sure ain't getting what you got, but i would love to get a dlp setup. i'm thinking about upgrading my old 36" rca tv to a nice 50" lcd projection that we have at my job... it's going to break my bank at around $2400 but it just looks so damn nice. i just have to see if i can even fit it into my apartment. if not, then maybe it's time to move out  ;)

I don't have a lot of experience with LCD RPTVs, but I seriously considered a Sony LCD projector early on in my upgrade plans, and what I saw was beautiful. I'm sure it would kick ass and that jump from 36 to 50 is pretty dang noticeable! I've always been an advocate of buying what works and looks best for personal needs and gratification and if you've got a gut feeling that that's the one you want, I say go for it, cost be damned!  8) Best of luck when you make your move to do it - I had a hard time making up my mind when I did mine.

So the rear speakers really had that much impact, huh? I may have to do the same as you and hook up my previous surrounds to an old amp and try them out. Glad to see there's another Polk fan out there! These are the best speakers I've heard in a long time. I'm doing the same thing and haven't even bothered with hooking up the sub with the mains. There's no lack of low-end bass with them.

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 04:12 AM »
You forgot to mention my big manly muscles that were able to hold that behemoth over my head for a half hour while you were drilling your ceiling holes all over the place (and not very centered, I might add  :P)...  Still think we should've drilled them a little further through the ceiling, and up through the floor of that hottie lawyer chick who lives directly above you!  That would've been an even better viewing experience than this multi-million dollar theater you just put together...   8)

Dah, I had blocked out the pain of those holes. I never said I was actually good at measurements. I have to give you tons of credit for the help. I'd be stuck with the screen on the floor still otherwise.

You mean the girl I can hear upstairs having sex at 2am while I'm sitting alone in my bed a floor below, eating Healthy Choice ice cream bars and watching GI Joe DVDs? That one? I'm a depressed enough person as it is. No need for a closer look at what's going on up there.  ;)

So get the candy, soda, and popcorn ready (and recliner), 'cause my ass is coming over for some serious movie watching in the future!

You got it.

We can warm that bad boy up with the LOTR EEs, before the other good stuff finally shows up in September...

You mean this movie, right?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 11:04 AM »
Hmm, very, very nice set up.  

My TV is relatively tiny and the next thing to be upgraded (32").  I won't be doing that until we move, but then I have to decide where to go with it.  Projection is nice, but I wonder about the practicality with a three (going on four) year old around.  Always in a dark room might not best suit our needs at the moment, so will probably end up with a standard unit.  Hoping for 50" or better.  Have to see what the vintage GI Joe's and redline hotwheels are willing to pay for.   ;)

I like Polk audio as well, but opted for Boston Acoustics System 8000.  Remarkably inexpensive (around the same cost as a Bose setup) but I found the sound to be of much higher quality.  Great power and incredibly clean.  MInd you, I only get to use it for its proper purpose rather infrequently.   :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 01:38 PM »
Projection is nice, but I wonder about the practicality with a three (going on four) year old around.  Always in a dark room might not best suit our needs at the moment, so will probably end up with a standard unit.  Hoping for 50" or better.  

actually, with the newer lcd projection screens, this is not a problem anymore. we have one set up at my job - 50" lcd rear projection from sony - and it is very well lit in our store. and that picture looks awesome in a bright room, believe me. you also don't get that screen disappearing from angles like you do with a regular projection. you're gonna pay a little more for the lcd as opposed to the regular, but imo it's worth it.

Mind you, I only get to use it for its proper purpose rather infrequently.   :'(

and that, folks, is just another reason why i'm single  ;)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 02:52 AM »
Wow!  That's an incredible setup you've got there Jared!  Well done.  I don't know much about home theaters, but I know enough to understand when I see one hell of an impressive set up, as yours appears to be.  I don't think I dare ask what kind of dollar amount would be attached to such an extravagant setup, do I?

So how many DVDs do you have to watch on that thing?

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 10:13 PM »
Whew, the manager of the apt building was just down to check it out. No complaints from him about drilling that thing into the ceiling!  8) I'm in the clear.

Glad you like the setup Snively! What I've found so far is that there just isn't enough time in the day to watch enough movies. It has to be dark. So I'm lucky to get through one a night. I'm still happy as all get out though. It took a bit of cash to do, but I've been trying to get to this point for some 10 years now and to finally have a chance to do this was a dream come true. God, that sounded corny.  :)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 8, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Ok bringing this topic back...

I am needing an opinion from somebody who might know.

DLP vs. HD projector and Screen for the media/theater room in the new house.  Be brutally honest.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 8, 2009, 11:08 PM »
i don't really know about the projectors, but i have heard alot of people bitch about the light engines going out on their dlp right after the warranty is out.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #11 on: June 8, 2009, 11:21 PM »
I have an HDLI which is JVC's version of DLP and I like it.

I've never looked into a projector, but our media room is wired for one.
This is the way.

I have spoken.