Author Topic: The New JediDefender - Have Any Suggestions?  (Read 51356 times)

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
Re: The New JediDefender - Have Any Suggestions?
« Reply #60 on: December 6, 2009, 09:10 PM »
With the large amount of SW collector sites out there now, how the hell can you tell who gets what scoop first, unless it's an exclusive to a particular site? Seems enormously petty to complain about this issue, considering it's not an exclusive set of photos.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: December 6, 2009, 09:25 PM »
I'm still not home so this may be full of mistakes here again, but I wanted to clear this up real quick.

Jesse, since you knew that CP had posted these first, I think a simple nod somewhere to CP for sharing this information with the community well before JD did would have been appropriate and easily avoided any and all confusion.  Moving forward, my suggestion is that in the future if a situation like this arises again, just give the other site their due credit for breaking the news first.  Ignore that if you want to, I guess.  I was pleasantly surprised to see even RS do that today, even though these images are all over their forums now, Curto still linked to CP.

This is exactly my point though...  CP did NOT post THESE images!  They posted their own, and I had larger ones.  I wasn't stealing their thunder...  most people had already seen the smaller images, and I was doing OUR story for OUR benefit because I had unique images that were either all larger, or were COMPLETELY new.  That's the point.

I don't think that there was so much of a feeling that anyone stole images from CP so much as dismissing them by not giving them due credit to be the first source to reveal them.   I would not have shown any sort of image comparison if not for Chris saying it's not possible.  In certain cases it is, which is all that image was.  And like I said, I'm taking your word for this Jesse so please don't feel offended.  I was responding to Chris on that one.

No offense but I'm really believing this, at this point.  Your implications of theft of the images were pretty clear, and much like you, I got a couple messages not pleased with that issue myself.  Maybe you didn't think what you said through hard enough, but the implication was there I believe, if nothing else by your photoshopping over our images with a new watermark.  You were clearly showing how you felt CHEWIE.  Excuse me for not believing what you said above there entirely on this, but it's what I see with your post at CP.  You maybe believe me now, but I still feel I was personally attacked.  

As far as slighting Coreplanets, like I said, first and foremost they're not a news outlet so I wasn't really even considering slighting anyone as an issue.  I'm sure the guy that posted them is a nice guy and kudos to him for his pics.  Second though, I still maintain our images are OUR images from our source, which are completely unique.  Was the other guy mad I didn't link to them?  I doubt it...  I only ran our story because it was unique.  Had this been an exclusive, much like Yakface's Clone Wars packaging sneak peak, I'd be geeked so much about the SNowspeeder I would've gladly ran a story on it with credit...  It wasn't though.  I don't know what else to say on the matter.

What Coreplanets should be mad about though, are sites without their own images not linking to them, and just lifting them and saying it's their story.  Technically though, they're not watermarked either so nothing's stopping anyone from doing that...  Curto credited Coreplanets because he doesn't have the pictures, if I were to guess...  Dan's pretty good about giving credit where it's due, he always is, and when Scum releases exclusive info it's pretty much credited by everyone to them...  Same deal when Adam May posted the Big Falcon last year, and so on and so forth.  I'm not mad we're not getting credit for having larger images, different photos and such either.  Sites often upload them to their own forums (I see mods at sites do it a lot, actually), and while disappointing there's little that can be done about it besides watermarking.  I could be annoyed that we gave everyone a look inside each item in much greater detail, and other sites are studying that stuff, and not crediting us with it though, sure.

It's like this to me though...  Does Scum post their watermark on High-res Hasbro pics?  Does Galactic Hunter?  Does Yakface, etc.?  Do they not all get, generally, the same high-res images?  Should they all credit the one that posted them first?  Does this analogy make any sense?

I'll say again on the issue of enlarging, and Rob (Brad too) works in graphics and things for a living so I wholely believe him on this as an expert, you cannot enlarge without losing detail.  If you compare your enlarged BGJ38 with my large image, CHEWIE, yours lacks some detail.  If you compare yours with the smaller image from CorePlanets, yours lost some detail still.  I'm a bonafied noob at PS, and I see it.  I know you're not because of your PN's so I'm sure you see it too.

but I don't think I'm alone in throwing a gigantic Who Cares!?  

Without a doubt I can't disagree with this at all.  I've only replied because my integrity was called into question on my own forum home, and less the rest...  I'm a tad peeved at that, and I doubt that perspective changes.  Like I said, I'm viewing the online community a little differently tonight now thanks to this recent string of stuff.  

Nothing was stolen though, and if people are offended by something, they really need to contact the administration of our site first, rather than CHEWIE, and voice it to them.  I'm not the boss.  I don't feel I did some great disservice to anyone though, and if someone's upset they really have my sincerest apology, but they also don't have the images I personally received either, so I don't think they should be upset, nor did their images get posted as our news at all, and I'm disappointed some seem to have thought that on their own, or have been lead to believe that is the case.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 6, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Yeah yeah yeah, but are you going to change your avatar?  Seriously, I'm going to have nightmares tonight.   :o
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 6, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Jesse, I didn't photoshop over your images.  I enlarged a CP pic, and threw a fake URL there just to show Chris a point, that if someone wants to enlarge an image frpm the CP to look similar to the JD ones, they can (at least on the random one that I picked).  I certainly did not say that was what you did, I was answering a question as to how it could cross someone's mind that this was done.   

The exact quality may not be the same using any given program, but I could tweak or sharpen the pics up some if I wanted to and maybe get closer (which I really DO NOT care to do, all it will do is make you think I'm trying to call you a liar - which I'm not doing).  And yes there's a lot of detail lost in those images when enlarged, the JD ones aren't quite as crisp as the smaller ones at CP either and if I were to enlarge them the same thing would happen.  That's going to happen nearly every time images are enlarged.  It does not mean that you're being called a liar though. 

As for posts, I guess I'm not sure which post you're referring to at CP?  This one?

Quote from: CHEWIE;108859
No problem, I don't know understand why so many fan sites are afraid to link to other sites and give them the due credit they deserve.  It's pretty sad sometimes.

^ That was made over 24 hours prior to you posted the images, and was not in reference to JD.  It was in reference to a trend around the community where some sites don't link to others too often when the other site gets a nice scoop.  It just so happened that after I said that, the JD news was posted. 

Or were you referring to this post I made over there...?

Quote from: CHEWIE;109006
Just realized that Rebelscum posted on their main page and linked here just as they should - congrats Bear!

That was in reference to CP sending Curto the pics three days ago via email.  I think Curto did the right thing when he linked to CP today.  He could have linked to his own forums if he wanted to because the pics are all over the RS forums now.

Anyways, if there's more pics that they get, they've already said they're going to watermark them so there can't be any sort of confusion like this again as this has been unfortunate.  And I know that you think I was a complete dick by bringing this up because I am the one who escalated this here, and the JD staff would probably get some enjoyment out of a solid punch to my temple about now.  But, I mentioned this whole thing because I still am a fan of JD and thought this was worth bringing up since you do have a suggestions section. 

But look at the bright side, since I brought it up, it opened up the perfect opportunity to clear up any questions and shoot the messenger at the same time.  :)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: December 6, 2009, 11:07 PM »
Your explanations about image size and quality are bull****. Even those who have minimal Photoshop skills (like Jesse and myself) know that when you enlarge from a smaller image, quality is NOT maintained. You have been debunked by professionals and casual users. Your example picture looks like ****, just as everyone has said all along.

All of your long winded replies have been nothing but the typical CHEWIE cop-out. Man up and admit you are wrong about the image quality discussion, and that you opened your mouth about our pictures which were not copied but actually larger and higher res. Jesse had the source on the phone to request poses for Christ sake! Keep in mind all of this while remembering that nowhere did Jesse claim to post the first pictures.

Don't worry though everyone, CHEWIE obviously knows more about this situation than those actually involved, and he also knows more about SW collecting site etiquette and news in general than those who have posted thoughts here derived from their many years of experience.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2009, 11:10 PM by Chris »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 7, 2009, 12:30 AM »
GUYS.  We have a much bigger problem to worry about.  Lookit Jesse's ******* avatar for Heaven's sake - that needs to go.  And now Carpet is using it too....AAAAgh!  Can someone please ban that picture? 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: December 7, 2009, 12:45 AM »
You don't want to see the next one. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 7, 2009, 12:51 AM »
You don't want to see the next one. :)

Great, now Rob is copying you too.  Switch to the next one -nothing could be worse than that picture Jesse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 7, 2009, 01:02 AM »
Your explanations about image size and quality are bull****. Even those who have minimal Photoshop skills (like Jesse and myself) know that when you enlarge from a smaller image, quality is NOT maintained. You have been debunked by professionals and casual users. Your example picture looks like ****, just as everyone has said all along.

All of your long winded replies have been nothing but the typical CHEWIE cop-out. Man up and admit you are wrong about the image quality discussion, and that you opened your mouth about our pictures which were not copied but actually larger and higher res. Jesse had the source on the phone to request poses for Christ sake! Keep in mind all of this while remembering that nowhere did Jesse claim to post the first pictures.

Don't worry though everyone, CHEWIE obviously knows more about this situation than those actually involved, and he also knows more about SW collecting site etiquette and news in general than those who have posted thoughts here derived from their many years of experience.

Such eloquence on display here tonight.  :)

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #69 on: December 7, 2009, 07:17 AM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about - you can photoshop ANY picture bigger and get the same quality, every time. Here, look:

Looks the same to me.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #70 on: December 7, 2009, 07:20 AM »
Yeah yeah yeah, but are you going to change your avatar?  Seriously, I'm going to have nightmares tonight.   :o

Yeah, JJ, why don't you go back to that cute little Rebel Soldier pic you used to use? He was so darling.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2009, 07:20 AM by Carpeteria3000 »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 7, 2009, 10:36 AM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about - you can photoshop ANY picture bigger and get the same quality, every time. Here, look:

Looks the same to me.

No glowing eyes?

Amateur. 

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 7, 2009, 10:47 AM »
I don't think I'm alone in throwing a gigantic Who Cares!?  

Maybe that's the best approach to take.  I would guess that most collectors don't care, or even know about this discussion.  

Most collector's don't care, because there's no scandal here.  A very small number do... and by small number, I mean one plus the imaginary person or persons who complained to you, but never bothered to check with Jesse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 7, 2009, 11:13 AM »
Yeah yeah yeah, but are you going to change your avatar?  Seriously, I'm going to have nightmares tonight.   :o

Yeah, JJ, why don't you go back to that cute little Rebel Soldier pic you used to use? He was so darling.

Rebel Soldier?  Hmmn...I don't even remember that.  I thought I had a clone trooper prior to this one.  Do I have a stalker?  Better watch out for flying pizza Carpet.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 7, 2009, 11:31 AM »
I agree, there's no scandal Rob.  Perhaps you can also see this from a different point of view than that of a JD staffer though?

A small forum posted some images of potential 2010 product that nobody else had access to (or so it seemed). I'm a very active member of that forum and saw there was some irritation there, and also received personal messages about it as well.  So I decided that I would take the hit and bring it up here.

I think maybe looking at it this way will help hammer the point I was trying to make:

Question - What do these sites all have in common in regards to 2010 prototype images?

- Banthaskull
- Jedinews
- Jeditemplearchives
- Rebelscum
- Sandtroopers
- Yakface

Answer - They all chose to report the news and linked to the small forum that revealed them first.  

Jedidefender did not, and ran a story with their watermark on the images.  To some people that looked fishy (and not everyone is going to realize that JD had some of their own images that were not shared elsewhere).  I brought up what I knew about this here and was honest in why there was a perception that something looked odd.  At that point, Jesse made his case and I took him for his word.  I still think a courtesy nod to CP would have been nice, but that's just a personal opinion. 

You guys can smear me all you want.  It doesn't matter to me.  What I did was bring something to your attention that you didn't want to hear, and explained how this sort of thing can be perceived from a different view than your own.