Author Topic: A Death Star Playset?  (Read 16555 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: A Death Star Playset?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 09:46 PM »
I think this thing looks very cool.  Granted, I like the idea of a modular playset, but this has some amazing potential.  I'm looking forward to seeing how big it really is and what level of detail they add to it.  Thanks for the pic Mr James.  8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 09:50 PM »
 ;D

I defer credit to the two nutwads that gave it to me...  I've had information about this item since about 2007, and the pictures since 2008.  It was pretty intersting stuff.  It's also very, very similar to the Lego Death Star playset for the mini-figures that they put out I believe last year sometime, no?  That's pretty interesting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 10:41 PM »
Yeah like Jayson pointed out, this doesn't thrill me.

So, I guess I'm glad this hasn't come out, at least not in this fashion.  I'm still more than pleased with the custom version that Owen D. made, and personally I don't think Hasbro will be able to top it. 

But, you never know - and if they did, I'd absolutely get it.  But probably not if it was pieces of cardboard.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 11:53 PM »
I prefer a more detailed box style too, but like Hasbro's pointed out, they'd aim this at kids so I think that's why we're seeing mock-ups that mimic the Lego DS playset that came out semi-recently.  It's kid-friendly by comparison, more eye-catching visually, etc.

That said, I actually would probably be more inclined to buy it if it's made of a less expensive material, as that would probably be a much cheaper "toy" than plastic.  Plastic though, with bells and whistles, could definitely make it an interesting centerpiece.  I just have a hard time imagining the BMF getting bumped from that role.

On a different note, I got a couple emails regarding our photo...  Our image was cropped from a much larger, more detailed picture.  Removing all the surrounding picture allowed me to make a smaller photo that still showed all the detail the original picture captured of the prototype/mock-up in the window.  The original photo, as can be seen at Yakface, has the surrounding office in it and a box of toys.

I was asked about that box of toys as well, and it was a box of Transformers figures, which I don't know how large their shipping boxes are (it looked to me, larger than 3.75" basic figure boxes), to draw a comparison of scale using Yakface's photo.  If someone into Transformers can chime in with that info, they could probably be of more help there, however the spies photographers seemed to imply to me at the time that this mock-up would really dwarf the BMF, and be much, much larger.

I'm with your opinions on it CHEWIE, for the most part.  Like I said, if it were chipboard like the original palitoy, it might be so cheap it would be impossible to pass up, but if it's plastic I may be more inclined to pass unless it REALLY was something special.  The BMF though, is currently the centerpiece to me with little chance of being usurped.  It's not modular, and to me modular is the cooler design from a 31 year old's standpoint...  *shrugs*  What do I know though?  Last I heard Legacy stuff's hitting a stone wall at retail these days.  That bodes even more poorly for the Death Star getting made at all I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20 AM »
I'll take whatever they want to give us if it's a Death Star and it is under a $Trillion.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Like others have said, I think I'd prefer modular as well - but at the same time I'm happy they are looking into it at all.  I always wanted the vintage Death Star playset as a kid, and have even looked at them from time to time just to use to basically display figures now as well.  Like Jesse mentioned, the "all in one" piece is more appealing to a kid (and parent) purchaser, and if they made it with lots of bells and whistles it could possibly be a big holiday item or something.  Plus, with all the bad news we've been hearing about the sales of Legacy stuff, it would be great if they looked into something like this at all.

I'd of course have to see what the final product was like, but I think I'd probably consider picking it up if it wasn't too expensive.  Plastic would probably be coolest, but would maybe make the price skyrocket, so I'd be up for chipboard or something too.  Either way, it does have the potential to be something pretty cool.  If they put as much into it as they have the vehicles lately (which I think have really been top notch the past couple years), it could really be a fun toy.  Again, the space issue is starting to come up again.  I can't imagine possibly having the room to display all this stuff these days (BMF, AT-TE, Juggernaut, possible Death Star, etc.) - a lot of larger items being released, not that I'm complaining.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Yep. Same here. Modular. Though I'd appreciate the effort if this one came out to be true.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 04:17 PM »
Adam May at GH seems to think this is a rumored Galactic Heroes playset. I wonder what exclusive figures will come with this.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Corax

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 04:25 PM »
Has anybody been able to blow up the image enough to tell what line of toys that box is from?  Adam May says it's a Galactic Heroes box but I don't see that when I blow up the photo.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 04:33 PM »
I don't follow the GH line much, so I don't know what they are or aren't getting this year...  A Death Star would be cool.

However, Adam's wrong on the box beside the Death Star.  It's not a box of Galactic Heroes figures.  My unedited photo proves it's something else that's larger.

Also the two who took the picture were conversing with me at the time, and said this item (the mock-up) is bigger than the BMF by a bit.  I recall that quite clearly as the excitement was tough to contain between the three of us, over the phone, while one admired architecture.  :)

On a completely different note, I got an email about what exactly the item is, that is pictured (prototye?  Mock-up?  Something else?)...  

A separate source, a friend of mine who works in the toy industry at large, specifically cited a mock-up of the Death Star identical to this has been "passed around" (his words) at meetings at Hasbro.  This is simply a mock-up to get an idea of scale, size, features, and how to cost-out something like that...  Basically brainstorming "how to get it done" at meetings...  That doesn't mean this is what it'll look like, or that this is guaranteed to get made.  It's also maybe not even the ONLY Death Star mock-up in existance...  It's just a tool.  Someone's idea put into a physical form to see if it'll fly.  That's all mock-ups are, ultimately.

As a scratch-build customizer, I make mock-ups to provide a basic size/shape of a vehicle project I'm starting, for instance.  It gives me an idea of the ammount of materials I need to purchase, and also some basic ideas of how to engineer the item so it's stable and some of the more basic functions and if they're possible.

Hasbro and other toy companies do the same thing...  It's usually the most basic of first steps before the item is even confirmed to be slotted in anywhere.  You have to get past feasability first of course. ;)

I had a couple questions on that though sent to me privately, and just thought I'd get that out there.

This Death Star is not "small" mind you, however that doesn't mean the same idea cannot be transferred across different lines within the brand either.  I think a GH Death Star would be a cool idea, and probably have better legs than in the 3.75" world.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 04:39 PM »
Has anybody been able to blow up the image enough to tell what line of toys that box is from?  Adam May says it's a Galactic Heroes box but I don't see that when I blow up the photo.

It's a Transformers box...

I was asked about that box of toys as well, and it was a box of Transformers figures, which I don't know how large their shipping boxes are (it looked to me, larger than 3.75" basic figure boxes)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Corax

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Jesse!!  I thought he had mentioned that it was a TF box to begin with but Adam May made a point to say that it was Galactic Heroes, so I wanted to double check. :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 05:03 PM »

It's a Transformers box...

Hey!  If Adam May says it's a Galactic Heroes box, then that's what it is.    >:(
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Hey Guys, Adam May Says That It's A Galactic Heroes Toy.  Has Anyone Been Able To Blow The Image Up Enough To Tell?   ???

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Beginning to sound like a broken record... and I agree with Jesse, this isn't a GH box next to it. 

Blow up the image that Delaton provided a bit and you can see that the bottom line appears to say "Transformers" on it.

Also, the shape of all the doorways indicates a more 3-3/4" type of figure would fit through them, and don't look at all to be designed for the obtuse shaped GH figures.