Author Topic: TRU Legacy Collection TIE Interceptor  (Read 27770 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
TRU Legacy Collection TIE Interceptor
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:25 PM »
As per the front page, there's a possibility that the TIE Interceptor rumor that got started last week is going to be heading to Toys R Us...  It's interesting as they just had the 181st TIE Int. as an exclusive.  The price mentioned ($69.99) is frightening if it turns out to be true though!  That's a TON for the ship...  Unless it's something damn special, I think I'd have to be passing on it...  That's just too much money to me.

I'm curious to see what this ship may or may not ultimately turn out to be.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:44 AM by Jeff »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: TRU TIE Interceptor?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Ouch!  I thought the $29.99 pricetag on the POTJ version was asking too much.   I just forked over almost $25 before tax on both the CW Vulture Droid and Magna Guard Fighter over the weekend at Target.  Could Hasbro possibly be tweaking the wings?  I doubt it, but do they even need to be bigger?  No clue, but these insane price jumps are getting out of hand.   :-\
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:59 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52 PM »
As has been mentioned to me, and I agree, I hope that's $69.99 Canadian...  Still though, what's that translate to US?  Not $30 I'm guessing. :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Based on the current CAD$ prices, (like $30 for Evo sets), I'd guess that $70 CAD would probably be around $50-$60 US. 

$50 for an Interceptor (even with a pack-in figure) seems crazy, but based on the new price structure for the big ships ($60-$65 for the Shadow ARC-170), I wouldn't put it past them to try to get that much for the ship, especially if it's got the new cockpit/ball.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:22 PM »
A bummer, for sure.  I have 3 POTJ era Int's and I like them well enough...  If it's $50-ish, I'll probably bite on this one.  Only one though, whereas years ago I'd have looked into at least two. 

Offline Corax

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 12:54 AM »
VolkerC over at POTF2 posted an image of a new TIE Interceptor here: http://www.potf2.com/potj/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14626

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:56 AM by Corax »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:38 AM »
Definately not worth $50. I'm passing.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 01:49 AM »
That had better be the same pilot from the last time around... I'm not buying a $50 ship for one figure.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 02:06 AM »
I'd guess it's the OTC Pilot though he's not SA by a longshot...  I dunno.  Plus he's a 181st pilot which doesn't make sense for a regular TIE.

I like the notion that the seat is an ejection seat.  That's pretty slick.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 10:34 AM »
I guess being a TRU exclusive means I'll only get one.   :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 11:09 AM »
I was able to grab one of the POTJ ones back when those were released, so I'll likely pass on this as well.  I will say though, that the new cockpits they are including in all these OT ships make them more tempting.  If I'm going to have one version of each vehicle, I'd just as soon it would be the best one.  Maybe this ship would complete the OT ship trifecta of Wedge's X-Wing (Target), the rumored new AT-ST (Wal-Mart), and now the Interceptor (TRU).  It could be an expensive exclusive season this fall again, for those picking up everything.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 11:14 AM »
I asked this on the otheR Site but didn't get an answer.  Do the Canadian and US TRU stores share their exclusives or does Canada operate like some of the EU countries and Australia where US exclusives from Target and Walmart sometimes get sold by TRU stores?  Just wondering if TRU Canada automatically means TRU US?

It makes sense that this would be at TRU in the US since they've had both previous exclusives of the Interceptor.

One thing on the price; that new $60 price point is for general release toys, specifically for the new Clone Wars Y-Wing.  According to the Hasbro Toy Fair presentation they're bumping the ARC-170 to that point as sort of a place holder in store planograms in order to reserve that space until the Y-Wing actually comes out. 

Since the TIE Interceptor is an exclusive, it doesn't necessarily have to be in the $60 price range because TRU (or any store) can set aside shelf space for their exclusives that's not in the standard aisle set.  Target uses their end caps, for example.  Plus, TRU has had several of their latest exclusives in the $35 - $45 range.  The B-Wing (which probably should have been $45 like the ARC-170 exclusive) was $35 as was Obi's JSF w/ hyperdrive ring.  The Interceptor is about the same size as the JSF but with all the prices trending higher I wouldn't be surprised to see this at $45 in the US. 

Maybe we'll get a break and it'll be less ($39.99?) but I would be surprised and very shocked if it's $70.00 in the US.  TRU has been having a hard enough time selling the B-Wing at $35 (it's $29.98 online right now), I don't think they're going to go looking for a $70 exclusive Interceptor when their last one was $35.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I am guessing this will have the new cockpit as the new big tie, it will also it will sport the new canopy so it could be a great upgrade at a ridiculous price. For some reason when it's OTC I can get around the price tag. I guess I can now put my other two up for trade to have a consistent fleet......
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 04:12 PM »
Meh, if the only major difference is the cockpit, I don't see a need to trade away the old ones. It's not like anywhere is going to go poking their noses around in there. If this is the only change, I may not even buy the exclusive. I passed on the 181st TIE/i.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 04:53 PM »
I have the cool 181st version so a pass, It is the ROTJ version so I am waiting for this to go on clearance (HA HA) . the Red Royal Guard version would have been cool.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:57 PM by Darth Rock »